Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 May 2010 (Tuesday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70mm Lens Question

xlovergirl
54 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 11, 2010 13:43 |  #1

I was lookin at 24-70mm lens at the B&H webstore and was wondering what is the difference between the Sigma Macro (external link) and the Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto (external link) lens since there's such a big difference in price between the two.

My NOT SO PRO Gear List

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2010 14:03 |  #2

The Sigma macro is not that good. (Not as sharp, no HSM) If you are looking to save some money, go with the Sigma HSM version. It costs less than the Canon by a few hundred and is 99% of what the Canon is.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_24_70mm_f_2_8_​IF_EX.html (external link)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

xlovergirl
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 11, 2010 14:10 |  #3

themadman wrote in post #10162220 (external link)
The Sigma macro is not that good. (Not as sharp, no HSM) If you are looking to save some money, go with the Sigma HSM version. It costs less than the Canon by a few hundred and is 99% of what the Canon is.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_24_70mm_f_2_8_​IF_EX.html (external link)

Thanks for the suggestion. I was just about to post another question about the difference between the $899 Sigma lens.

I've had my eyes on the 24-70mm lens for a long time now, but the one grand Canon brand scares the big jeebers out of me. If you say the Sigma HSM, is 99% of what the Canon is, then I might just ask my husband to invest in it for me. Hahaha.

My NOT SO PRO Gear List

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 11, 2010 14:21 |  #4

Aside from the autofocus, the optics, and the build quality (what importance are those features anyway), the Sigma lenses are every bit as good as the Canon.

Sigma 24-70 HSM review: http://www.slrgear.com …t.php/product/1​236/cat/31 (external link)

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

Leonid ­ Photography
715 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 11, 2010 14:55 |  #5

form wrote in post #10162317 (external link)
Aside from the autofocus, the optics, and the build quality (what importance are those features anyway), the Sigma lenses are every bit as good as the Canon.

Sigma 24-70 HSM review: http://www.slrgear.com …t.php/product/1​236/cat/31 (external link)

I am going to have disagree with you a little. Have you had a ex sigma before? I have and I have to say the build is not bad. The auto focus is fine and the optics in the HSM version are much better then the older version. And the link that you posted has good reviews on the sigma.

Canon 6D, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM
YN568-II, YN560-III, YN460

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 11, 2010 19:43 |  #6

You can disagree all you like. I own a Sigma 15mm fisheye and 10-20 f/4-5.6, and both are good lenses for the purpose. However, the 10-20 is not on the same level as the Tokina 11-16 for performance, and I would never trust either of my sigmas for fast or reliable autofocus. It's a good thing both of them are extremely wide and can be shot with manual focus or at infinity for almost everything.

I would probably consider a sigma 150 f/2.8 EX for macro, and I might get the sigma 50 f/1.4 someday, but those are the only other sigma products whose optics are good enough to warrant purchase. I would never use them for fast-paced situations, but I would use them for detail work.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 11, 2010 20:19 |  #7

form wrote in post #10162317 (external link)

I've tested the Sigma 24-70 HSM against the Canon 24-70L, I would say the Sigma actually wins in af speed and accuracy, but loses slightly in sharpness and build (as it lacks weather sealing).

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 11, 2010 21:40 |  #8

xlovergirl wrote in post #10162256 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestion. I was just about to post another question about the difference between the $899 Sigma lens.

I've had my eyes on the 24-70mm lens for a long time now, but the one grand Canon brand scares the big jeebers out of me. If you say the Sigma HSM, is 99% of what the Canon is, then I might just ask my husband to invest in it for me. Hahaha.

At $900, the Sigma isn't cheap, but it is less expensive than the $1400 Canon lens. It's hard to imagine now, but I paid less than $900 for my Canon 28-70 f/2.8 at B&H about 2 years ago (with a rebate). Anyway, it looks like the Sigma gets very good reviews and would make a great alternative to the Canon variant.

So when I got my wife the $1250 Louis Vuitton bag she wanted (she named it "Louie"), does that mean she has to get me a lens now?

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 11, 2010 22:14 |  #9

tgara wrote in post #10164794 (external link)
At $900, the Sigma isn't cheap, but it is less expensive than the $1400 Canon lens. It's hard to imagine now, but I paid less than $900 for my Canon 28-70 f/2.8 at B&H about 2 years ago (with a rebate). Anyway, it looks like the Sigma gets very good reviews and would make a great alternative to the Canon variant.

So when I got my wife the $1250 Louis Vuitton bag she wanted (she named it "Louie"), does that mean she has to get me a lens now?

No you take Louie back and get her a knockoff and pocket the change.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 12, 2010 02:17 |  #10

Have you checked out the sample photo archive?

Canon 24-70L
https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=17373​6&page=311

Sigma 24-70 EX
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=2476​05&page=26

311 pages for Canon vs 26 pages for Sigma says quite a lot. I know I am kinda biased because of my bad experience with Sigma lenses but I know the Canon 24-70L is a very popular lens among professional photographers.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 14, 2010 08:47 |  #11

themadman wrote in post #10164368 (external link)
I've tested the Sigma 24-70 HSM against the Canon 24-70L, I would say the Sigma actually wins in af speed and accuracy, but loses slightly in sharpness and build (as it lacks weather sealing).

This is contrary to my testing - the Sigma was sharper than the Canon. That's why I kept the Sigma.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Michael1116
429 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 14, 2010 09:40 |  #12

xlovergirl, when you ask a question like that you should expect the above;
Sigma owners recommend Sigma,
Canon owners recommend Canon.

My advice, align yourself with a good camera store that will allow you to try both before purchasing. I did, and went Canon. :)
Good luck!

MySpace (external link)
My Flikr (external link)
Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 14, 2010 09:53 |  #13

Michael1116 wrote in post #10179713 (external link)
xlovergirl, when you ask a question like that you should expect the above;
Sigma owners recommend Sigma,
Canon owners recommend Canon.

I own several Canon lenses, including four Ls, and several Sigma lenses. I buy the best lens for my intended purposes. It's really that simple.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Michael1116
429 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 14, 2010 10:01 |  #14

Tony-S wrote in post #10179795 (external link)
I own several Canon lenses, including four Ls, and several Sigma lenses. I buy the best lens for my intended purposes. It's really that simple.

Agreed Tony, my point exactly!
I guess to re-phrase my point; you will NEVER see someone with a Sigma 24-70 in their gear list advise buying the Canon, and vice versa

MySpace (external link)
My Flikr (external link)
Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 14, 2010 10:26 |  #15

Actually, I would. If your camera does not have MFA, or if you need weather sealing, or if you need the very best flare control, or better edges at the expense of the center, then I'd recommend the Canon over the Sigma HSM.

sponsored links

1,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70mm Lens Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.