Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 May 2010 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50D a little disappointed

Unanswered
25 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 13, 2010 18:43 |  #31

DoninIA wrote in post #10170358 (external link)
ETA: I thought some of your images were pretty good.

ETA stands for Estimated Time of Arrival.

sponsored links
JimmyG
231 posts
Joined May 2009

May 13, 2010 21:32 as a reply to  @ Unanswered's post |  #32

the faster your camera, the faster you can make crappy pics if you're not sure what you're doing yet :D

James
Gripped EOS 5Dc|Gripped EOS 7D|EOS 450D|EOS Elan|Polaroid 103|Minolta X-700|Rokinon 8mm Fisheye|Canon 40mm 2.8 'pancake'|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 70-200 F4 L

James R Graves Photo (external link)

jhall
46 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 13, 2010 22:18 |  #33

Unanswered wrote in post #10176413 (external link)
ETA stands for Estimated Time of Arrival.

On a web forum, it usually stands for 'edited to add'.

;)

Gripped Canon T1i, 50mm 1.8 Mk 1

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 13, 2010 22:35 |  #34

Above all else: Shoot. Shoot Again. Shoot some more. Photons are free and 1s an 0s are cheap so use 'em!

Good Luck!

As Jay said....get out there and practice ! Most folks...myself included, have found that whenever we get a new body or lens, there is a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to make it perform. So no matter how cold or hot or wet the weather....get out there and use it. It will come to you.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 13, 2010 22:36 |  #35

george m w wrote in post #10177539 (external link)
As Jay said....get out there and practice ! Most folks...myself included, have found that whenever we get a new body or lens, there is a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to make it perform. So no matter how cold or hot or wet the weather....get out there and use it. It will come to you.

In my case, it's often more of a learning "wall" than a curve but most shooters are a little more clever than I am.

I just learn to overcome and adapt!

Old Men Rule!! :lol:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 13, 2010 22:39 |  #36

In my case, it's often more of a learning "wall" than a curve but most shooters are a little more clever than I am.

I just learn to overcome and adapt!

Yeah....I know that feeling Jay ! I remember when I first got my 400 prime a few years ago, I had the devil of a time getting good images out of it ! It took a lot of practice, but then it finally, slowly started coming together for me. I didn't think I'd ever break thru that wall !

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

Doc ­ Fluty
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 13, 2010 22:59 |  #37

jhall wrote in post #10177451 (external link)
On a web forum, it usually stands for 'edited to add'.

;)

something i learned from this thread lol

and to the OP...

I am a rookie myself.. and even with much nicer equipment i still have moments where i think i should be getting shots better then i do.

But 99% of the time when i complain about my shots, the problem can be traced back to a reason. Such as only using 1/60 on shutter speed to capture my daughter.. using f/1.2 in the beginning and wondering why my $1800 lens cant get 2 eyes in focus at the same time.

I have found that i have learned as much from me complaining about my shots, posting hem her and having someone explain to me what i did wrong as any book i bought.

Although kelbys books have helped me a lot on my photoshop skills.. i still need to find a book to help me actually taking shots. im going to order the book up top tonight and see what i dont know again

My Facebook Fan Page (external link) - My Gear

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,139 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 14, 2010 04:14 as a reply to  @ Doc Fluty's post |  #38

I looked at the images in the web album. I don't think they are bad. I'd say you (the OP) need to try to explain how you wanted one of them to look, if the image you have there isn't what you expected.

Anders

brownbugger
941 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 14, 2010 04:27 |  #39

it is not the camera , it is you , not that you are not talented , but you arent paying enough attention. it is about what you see, what you want to capture, about postprocessing , hang around the forum, see a lot of pictures , observe, apply it , learn , shoot.

Gripped Canon 50D, Canon 400D with BG-E3 Grip, 580 EXII Flash, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L , Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L / Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 /Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 / Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 14, 2010 04:55 |  #40

Probably a bit late to the party on this, and I've only skim-read the thread, so sorry if this has been done to death, but I'll throw it in anyway....

I have a genuine Gibson Les Paul, which I've owned for around 30 years. I bought it because I wanted the "best" and figured that if I had good kit that the only weak point would be me, and I could improve, unhindered by the gear. Thirty years later I am as crap at playing the guitar as I ever was. In fact I can't remember the last time I even picked the thing up. You can measure the time in years.

I was reading a news story today of a mechanic who put a Ferrari through its MOT (it passed) and took it for a "test drive". Minutes later it had bounced off a lamppost, jumped a wall, and was lying in a wrecked heap on top of a roundabout (traffic island).

Story - http://www.theregister​.co.uk/2010/05/14/ferr​ari_prang/ (external link)

It's all very well having great gear, and no harm in that at all, but there is knowledge to use it that really is quite essential when it comes to getting the best results. The more you depend on the gear to do things for you, like sticking to autoexposure in evaluative mode, without understanding what the camera is doing, and using features like HTP and ALO to bail you out, the less you will learn about the technical operation of your kit.

But equally, before you even get to the technical aspects of photography, there are soft skills that need to be developed too - having an artistic eye and appreciating the importance of composition and light. The camera can do several things for you, but it doesn't know where to stand, how to compose the frame, which focal length to use, what time of day to shoot, whether the background is intrusive, whether your subject looks relaxed and comfortable, the precise moment to take the shot, what the weather is like, what the light is like, whether you should have a large or shallow DOF, whether you are able to pan smoothly, whether you can keep the focus point accurately placed on your subject etc. etc. etc.. The camera may guess at the kind of scene you are shooting, but it can't know. Left to its own devices it will probably guess wrong. It needs input from you. You need to know the result you are aiming for in order to set up the camera to achieve that result. If you aren't too clued up in the first place then upgrading gear is probably not going to do much to improve your results.

The 50D is a great camera, but it is just a tool. If you don't know how to use it properly then expect the results to reflect that. If you separate out knowledge of photography from technical/operational knowledge of your camera, it would be as well to pay at least as much attention to the former as to the latter.

p.s. I'm as much a gear head as the next man, and I too need to pay a lot more attention to my creative skillset. Who wants to look at sharp, well exposed images if the content is boring? Content first, technical excellence second.

p.p.s. The more I learn about photography the more I realise how little I really know, and how much more there is still to learn. It was much the same way when I was learning to SCUBA dive. The things I learned from going from PADI AOW to RD were quite eye opening. I'm sure that if ever I was to go for DM that there would be a whole lot more to learn too. Read, watch, listen, imagine, experiment, practice, learn. It's all good.

CMLamb
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 14, 2010 14:07 |  #41

tdodd wrote in post #10178704 (external link)
Probably a bit late to the party on this, and I've only skim-read the thread, so sorry if this has been done to death, but I'll throw it in anyway....

I have a genuine Gibson Les Paul, which I've owned for around 30 years. I bought it because I wanted the "best" and figured that if I had good kit that the only weak point would be me, and I could improve, unhindered by the gear. Thirty years later I am as crap at playing the guitar as I ever was. In fact I can't remember the last time I even picked the thing up. You can measure the time in years.

I was reading a news story today of a mechanic who put a Ferrari through its MOT (it passed) and took it for a "test drive". Minutes later it had bounced off a lamppost, jumped a wall, and was lying in a wrecked heap on top of a roundabout (traffic island).

Story - http://www.theregister​.co.uk/2010/05/14/ferr​ari_prang/ (external link)

It's all very well having great gear, and no harm in that at all, but there is knowledge to use it that really is quite essential when it comes to getting the best results. The more you depend on the gear to do things for you, like sticking to autoexposure in evaluative mode, without understanding what the camera is doing, and using features like HTP and ALO to bail you out, the less you will learn about the technical operation of your kit.

But equally, before you even get to the technical aspects of photography, there are soft skills that need to be developed too - having an artistic eye and appreciating the importance of composition and light. The camera can do several things for you, but it doesn't know where to stand, how to compose the frame, which focal length to use, what time of day to shoot, whether the background is intrusive, whether your subject looks relaxed and comfortable, the precise moment to take the shot, what the weather is like, what the light is like, whether you should have a large or shallow DOF, whether you are able to pan smoothly, whether you can keep the focus point accurately placed on your subject etc. etc. etc.. The camera may guess at the kind of scene you are shooting, but it can't know. Left to its own devices it will probably guess wrong. It needs input from you. You need to know the result you are aiming for in order to set up the camera to achieve that result. If you aren't too clued up in the first place then upgrading gear is probably not going to do much to improve your results.

The 50D is a great camera, but it is just a tool. If you don't know how to use it properly then expect the results to reflect that. If you separate out knowledge of photography from technical/operational knowledge of your camera, it would be as well to pay at least as much attention to the former as to the latter.

p.s. I'm as much a gear head as the next man, and I too need to pay a lot more attention to my creative skillset. Who wants to look at sharp, well exposed images if the content is boring? Content first, technical excellence second.

p.p.s. The more I learn about photography the more I realise how little I really know, and how much more there is still to learn. It was much the same way when I was learning to SCUBA dive. The things I learned from going from PADI AOW to RD were quite eye opening. I'm sure that if ever I was to go for DM that there would be a whole lot more to learn too. Read, watch, listen, imagine, experiment, practice, learn. It's all good.

Man, that is exactly how I feel. All my other camera's have been point and shoot. I feel lost when I use this camera. Thanks for sharing

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 14, 2010 14:21 as a reply to  @ CMLamb's post |  #42

A big part of the problem is this very website. A person will flip through the equipment archives and see a bunch of fabulous images. What you are seeing is the best images and processing skills of very experienced photographers. You are not seeing the thousands of rejects that also come out of a body or lens. I take some great images and also take even more rejects. Everybody gets a little buyer's remorse when they don't produce magazine quality images with a new toy. Put it through it's paces and figure it out, it will likely amaze you in the end.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

Doc ­ Fluty
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 14, 2010 14:46 |  #43

^^^ exactly

My Facebook Fan Page (external link) - My Gear

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 14, 2010 23:33 |  #44

^^^ how true. Who's going to post their crappy shots. LOL

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 14, 2010 23:45 |  #45

CMLamb wrote in post #10181354 (external link)
Man, that is exactly how I feel. All my other camera's have been point and shoot. I feel lost when I use this camera. Thanks for sharing

On the plus side, rest assured you have a great camera and one that you can grow into. If you are struggling a bit then you might consider meeting up with other enthusiastic photographers who might share their expertise with you. I'm in the UK and another forum I belong to is always organising informal gatherings where anyone is welcome to join in. The meets are a good mixture of taking photographs and simply the social side of getting together with like minded folk and chatting, maybe even having a beer or ten. ;)

Here is the "Meeting Place" forum, where such things are arranged throughout the UK. Nobody is in charge and anyone can set up a meeting/gathering. It's all very relaxed...

http://www.talkphotogr​aphy.co.uk/forums/foru​mdisplay.php?f=45 (external link)

Maybe there is something similar wherever you are.

sponsored links

6,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50D a little disappointed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.