Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 May 2010 (Monday) 00:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I might be buying a 50D,what are they like?

albion14
176 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 17, 2010 00:13 |  #1

HI

I currently have a 450D,and since I bought it have bought some fine L series lenses,I am happy with the results.Next week I am Buying a 17-55 F 2.8,and am thinking about another body for that lens to be on a large amount of time.

I see 40D's are highly regarded,and looked at buying a second hand one.Here in Australia they seem to sell for around $700 to $800,I was then told by a friend the 50D's are selling for around $1089 here,which I thought sounded reasonable,only a few hundred for a brand new camera.

Are the 50D's a good body?I have'nt heard many reports on them,I notice that the 40D's are snapped up fairly quickly,why is this so-when a 50D is only a few hundred more??,

From the little I Know on 50D the noise is more reduced than older 40D,this would be good.Anyone using a 50D,can you let me know if it would be better than 40D.

thanks A14

Canon 50D and 450D, lenses 10- 22 mm wide angle 17-55 F 2.8 L, 70-200 F 2.8 L, 400 F 5.6 prime. 60 mm Macro F 2.8, ex 430 flash.

sponsored links
Guts311
522 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 17, 2010 00:17 |  #2

Not to be mean, but I've been seeing sooooo many of the same threads simply asking how each body is. There are literally hundreds of threads about each body answering the exact questions you are asking. Why don't you just do a search in the Canon EOS Digital Cameras section?

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 17, 2010 00:35 |  #3

It has everything the 40D has, and more. OK, I think it has 1 custom mode on the dial.

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 17, 2010 01:54 |  #4

Why did I buy a 50D new (granted this was about 20 months ago when they were released) when I could have saved a few hundred by getting a 40D?

1. Micro Adjust - I'm a big fan of Sigma's lenses, but I read so much about them being calibration nightmares (though I've never experienced it first hand). The peace of mind to know I could calibrate my own gear if it was giving me fits was huge. And it's not just 3rd party lenses that have issues.

2. The LCD is just plain nice. Seriously, it's just an LCD, and it doesn't affect picture taking, but it's just nice.

3. 15mp vs 10mp. Do I care? Rarely. Am I glad I have it on the rare occasions? Very.

4. It would hold it's value longer than the 40D if I decided to upgrade later. I actually still use it though and am very happy with it and haven't found a reason to upgrade.

Otherwise, there is honestly very little difference between the two cameras. They're both great bodies, and while I think the 50D is generally more pleasant to use because of the tiny upgrades, it's up to you if it's worth it to you over the life of the camera. If you'll have it for 2 years you're paying 40 cents a day for the upgrade. If you'll have it for 6 months and want something better...

Rob ­ Wilkinson
122 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 17, 2010 01:59 |  #5

griptape wrote in post #10194055 (external link)
1. Micro Adjust - I'm a big fan of Sigma's lenses, but I read so much about them being calibration nightmares (though I've never experienced it first hand). The peace of mind to know I could calibrate my own gear if it was giving me fits was huge. And it's not just 3rd party lenses that have issues.

2. The LCD is just plain nice. Seriously, it's just an LCD, and it doesn't affect picture taking, but it's just nice.

3. 15mp vs 10mp. Do I care? Rarely. Am I glad I have it on the rare occasions? Very.

4. It would hold it's value longer than the 40D if I decided to upgrade later. I actually still use it though and am very happy with it and haven't found a reason to upgrade.

This^^^

With a good lens and in proper hands, the IQ (not megapixel/resolution obviously) of the 50 can rival the 1ds mk3. My 40d isn't quite as good imo.

Come have a look: http://www.resolutionp​hoto.net (external link)

albion14
THREAD ­ STARTER
176 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 17, 2010 02:17 as a reply to  @ Rob Wilkinson's post |  #6

thanks for some information,does it have lower noise than 40D,I had heard it was better in that area.

Another thing,I see a thread "50D vrs 550D" ,that the 550D is very highly regarded and may be better than 50D.I was a bit disappointed,as I have had XXXD bodies all the time,I have a chance to up grade to a XXD,and read a 'lowely' rebel is better.

I like the feel of a larger body,I have L lenses,and they feel better on a larger body,I really don't want to buy a plastic body again.

Canon 50D and 450D, lenses 10- 22 mm wide angle 17-55 F 2.8 L, 70-200 F 2.8 L, 400 F 5.6 prime. 60 mm Macro F 2.8, ex 430 flash.

Katalyst
811 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 17, 2010 05:18 |  #7

Just go for the 50D and don't look back, it won't dissapoint you!

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 17, 2010 06:22 |  #8

The 50D has slightly more features and slightly better IQ then the 40D (everything mentioned above, plus the extra megapixels basically "shrink" the noise at higher ISOs). The 50D is not a "huge" upgrade (most people with a 40D would probably not consider upgrading, unless they wanted a second body.) I think your used 40Ds are way overpriced (I paid $550 for mine used) but the new 50D sounds like a reasonable price- I'd go for it!

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2010 08:25 |  #9

Get the 50D it is just better than the 40D, I have both never use the 40D except for backup.

The 50D has less noise than the 40D.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,619 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 17, 2010 08:30 |  #10

MGiddings Photography wrote in post #10194979 (external link)
Get the 50D it is just better than the 40D, I have both never use the 40D except for backup.

The 50D has less noise than the 40D.

i would have to really 2nd guess this statement. it is by no means just a better camera than a 40d---we have used both and my 2nd shooter uses it. very hard pressed to see a big difference really and 50d has slightly more noise than the 40.

to the op

get a 50d..they are great cameras. but id f you can score a low sbutter count 40d,,dont hesitate. both cameras are great.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 17, 2010 08:46 |  #11

umphotography wrote in post #10195003 (external link)
i would have to really 2nd guess this statement. it is by no means just a better camera than a 40d---we have used both and my 2nd shooter uses it. very hard pressed to see a big difference really and 50d has slightly more noise than the 40.

This is a huge ongoing debate, but if you downsize the 50D files to the size of the 40D files, the noise is less noticeable, so even though the 50D may have imperceptibly more noise than the 40D pixel for pixel, at the same size I strongly believe it has less.

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 19, 2010 03:31 |  #12

I have tested both for noise and the 50D is better. Please check my blog and make up your own mind:

http://mgiddingsphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

Rob ­ Wilkinson
122 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 19, 2010 03:47 as a reply to  @ MGiddings Photography's post |  #13

I'm going to go ahead and say the 50 has less noise than the 40 in good light, but more noise than the 40 in bad light. That's my experience anyway...

Come have a look: http://www.resolutionp​hoto.net (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,865 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 19, 2010 05:33 |  #14

albion14 wrote in post #10194111 (external link)
Another thing,I see a thread "50D vrs 550D" ,that the 550D is very highly regarded and may be better than 50D.I was a bit disappointed,as I have had XXXD bodies all the time,I have a chance to up grade to a XXD,and read a 'lowely' rebel is better.

You have to expect that newly released rebels would be greater in some respects to 2+ year old xxD bodies.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 7D Mark II
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Nifkin
354 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 19, 2010 06:03 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10208201 (external link)
You have to expect that newly released rebels would be greater in some respects to 2+ year old xxD bodies.

And the 'some respects' in question would be in terms of bells and whistles and video; in my view the IQ of the 50D isn't bettered by the new Rebels/500D/550D, and it's certainly superior ergonomically.

Nifkin Puffoon

EOS 5D MkIII | EOS 5D MkII | EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4EX DG HSM | Speedlite 600EX RT

sponsored links

2,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
I might be buying a 50D,what are they like?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.