Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 May 2010 (Monday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cautionary tale concering Bing cashback or "How I got screwed by Bing"

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 17, 2010 15:54 |  #1

Not sure what sub forum to put this in. Mods please feel free to move but I am hoping to get some help or advice.

I purchased a 5Dmk2 kit just a short week and half ago. I utilized the bing cash site to do so. Having never used Bing I had to sign up for an account. I did so and even went to the effort to post-it-note the user name/password info to my computer screen. I completed the transaction and received an email indicating I would have $330 in BCB coming my way.

Yeah! I felt like a wise and internet-savy super consumer.....that is up to the point of delivery.

Sometime between placing the order and delivery, someone must have hijacked my MS Live account and changed the access information or Bing simply deleted the account. All I can do here is speculate. The important thing is I cannot access the account, nor can I properly answer the security questions to reset the password.

I started an account inquiry with Bing and as of today have been told to bugger off. In a nice (corporate) way mind you, but bugger off nonetheless. In fact as of this moment my pin and case number have been removed from Bing's conflict resolution site.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If I could count on the bing cash automatically going to my paypal account then I suppose I do not care about accessing the account. I am, however, under the impression that I would need to request the BCB via the account once it is made available. Can someone explain how the "cash back" actually occurs? And did you have to request the transfer?

BTW, their conflict resolution site is riddled with similar complaints. Be careful and vigilant with those accounts.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 17, 2010 16:13 |  #2

OneyedJack wrote in post #10197580 (external link)
I am, however, under the impression that I would need to request the BCB via the account once it is made available. Can someone explain how the "cash back" actually occurs? And did you have to request the transfer?

you're correct, you'll need to logon to the bing account (which i think might or might not be tied with your ms live account...i'm not 100% sure if it's possible not to tie) and do a "withdraw" to your paypal.

if you can't get into your bing account, hum... :confused:

5D3 and a few lens
es.

OWSIU
302 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 17, 2010 16:41 |  #3

Can you still return the 5D2? I would just do that and purchase another using a new bing account.

OneyedJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 17, 2010 16:42 |  #4

Thanks. I just tried once more. No luck logging in. I then sent an email to the account and a return message indicated the mailbox is blocked by the host.

BTW, this is a xxxx at hotmail dot com address if that matters to anyone.

It appears my Bing Cash Back has gone up in smoke. I hate to say but this really seems to be getting the better of me. This may be the straw that breaks this camel's back with concern to Microsoft products and services.

OneyedJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 17, 2010 16:44 |  #5

OWSIU wrote in post #10197844 (external link)
Can you still return the 5D2? I would just do that and purchase another using a new bing account.

Yes, this is an option. Albeit, not a very fair one for the retailer.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 17, 2010 16:45 |  #6

I HATE that Bing thing that keeps popping up unsolicited on my computer. I'm not really sure that it is, but it makes me nuts and decided long ago that I'd never use that Bing search engine soley because it is so intrusive and annoying. I now have another reason for not using it. Sorry that happened to you.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 17, 2010 20:25 |  #7

suecassidy wrote in post #10197870 (external link)
I HATE that Bing thing that keeps popping up unsolicited on my computer.

that would be something that you allowed it to. it doesn't happen on my pc.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 17, 2010 23:45 |  #8

You just need to sit back and wait for your cash back. It should be deposit into your paypal account when it's ready. You don't need to have your password to bing.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 18, 2010 00:08 |  #9

drive_75 wrote in post #10200313 (external link)
You just need to sit back and wait for your cash back. It should be deposit into your paypal account when it's ready. You don't need to have your password to bing.

only if it's instant cashback.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

speedline_fc
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 18, 2010 00:17 |  #10

OneyedJack wrote in post #10197580 (external link)
I started an account inquiry with Bing and as of today have been told to bugger off. In a nice (corporate) way mind you, but bugger off nonetheless. In fact as of this moment my pin and case number have been removed from Bing's conflict resolution site.

What exactly did their email say? This all seems very odd considering you received an email that specifically said you'll be receiving $330 cashback.

Take a look at this thread:

http://slickdeals.net …php?sduid=77150​&t=1792929 (external link)

There are some helpful hints and suggestions. I've had a couple issues with Bing not crediting my cashback right away, but after a couple of emails, I've always gotten them.

I did see a few threads over at Slickdeals that discussed people having their Cashback accounts closed/canceled and their cashback all revoked because they were accused of using BCB for business or resale purposes. But that appears to have only happened in cases where multiple items were purchased? Not sure..

Also keep in mind that a store/vendor CAN cancel your cashback. This happens a lot (like when people try to double dip by using a coupon AND cashback). But without seeing the text of what Bing wrote back to you, its hard to say.

In any case, good luck. I hope it works out for you.. and as unfair as it is to a vendor, if I had $330 in cashback canceled, I wouldnt hesitate in returning the item. Returning the item would essentially make it a problem between the vendor and Bing, not you. The vendor would then have some incentive to "discuss" this matter with Bing.

My Flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9822373#p​ost9822373

OneyedJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 18, 2010 08:16 |  #11

speedline_fc wrote in post #10200460 (external link)
What exactly did their email say? This all seems very odd considering you received an email that specifically said you'll be receiving $330 cashback.

The only email I received is the "you've earned cash back". Here is the cut-n-paste:
---------------

Hello, xxxx!

Thanks for searching, shopping and saving with Bing cashback, the search that pays you back!

From your recent purchases, you have earned cashback savings!

To view the details for this purchase or your other Bing cashback transactions, sign into your cashback account. We’ll let you know when you can request your cashback reward!

You earned $330.00 from your xxxxxxxxx purchase on x/x/2010:

Details cashback
xxxxxxx.com
Unit price: $3299.99
Quantity: 1 $330.00

For more information about Bing cashback, see the cashback FAQ or contact us.
Thanks,
The Bing cashback team

---------------

End of CnP

Pretty standard stuff I suppose and I assumed all was well. It was not until I tried to login into the cashback account did I have a problem. My login failed and I can longer access the hotmail/bing account. The only option was to attempt a password recovery. Ironically, they email the password recovery information to the hotmail account I cannot access.

I elevated the matter by opening a dispute/inquiry concerning my account with the Windows Live site. I simply wanted them to email the password reset instructions to the alternate email address that was listed on the account. They sent an email with a pin number and a link to a site to view a response to my request. The response came Sunday night....it said I did not give them proper information regarding the account and to piss off. At that point I assumed the account was stolen and the information changed. The page was subsequently deleted and is no longer accessable via the link they emailed me.

Then I read the slickdeals link you kindly provided. There are a dizzing array of problems anyone using Bing should be made aware. For posterity and to hopefully have useful information in this thread and not just my rant I will sumarize the helpful hints from the slickdeals site so others do not end up with similar . This will take some time and I will edit the original post once I finish.

What really chaps my arse is that this has put a cloud over what should be a joyous occasion, the unboxing of a 5D.

sponsored links

1,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cautionary tale concering Bing cashback or "How I got screwed by Bing"
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.