Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 20 May 2010 (Thursday) 17:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Received 7D from B&H, box damaged

Nascar ­ Nut
481 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 20, 2010 17:56 |  #1

I am wishing I would have refused shipment on this camera now. I got caught up in the excitement of getting it because I have been waiting so long to get one that I signed for it and took it. I can not find any damage to the camera or lens any where and the camera works fine as far as I can tell. I have messed with all the setting and taken pictures with it and all seems fine. But now I am wondering if something could go wrong down the road. I will post some pictures of the boxes that it came in. It looks like it got beat up badly. The main B&H box was broke open on the top and the bottom and the end was beat in. Looks like ups taped it all back together with packaging tape. The camera box had damage to as you can see from the pics. What do you guys think? Could the camera have damage that could show up in time after use or since it is working fine now would it be safe to say it is alright?

IMAGE: http://the-outdoorsman.net/temp/camera1.jpg

IMAGE: http://the-outdoorsman.net/temp/camera2.jpg

IMAGE: http://the-outdoorsman.net/temp/camera3.jpg

sponsored links
poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 20, 2010 17:59 |  #2

If the camera is not marred and the foam around the camera was intact, I doubt if you have to worry.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

May 20, 2010 18:01 |  #3

If you feel uncomfortable, contact B&H and see what they have to say. That must have been a ruff ride.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 20, 2010 18:01 |  #4

I would contact B&H and let them contact UPS. That's UPS fault for trashing the package. I've seen UPS kick and throw packages before (do a lot of shipping), so who knows how much they beat on it. Plus the packing tape B&H uses says "check broken package for damage." Give them a call and send them the pictures. There's no need to a $1,700 camera to arrive like that.

Good luck.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Lightmaster
118 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 20, 2010 18:07 |  #5

looks like it was used as a soccer ball!

Canon 5d Mark II, 24-105L f/4 IS, 50mm 1.8 II, 430 ex II,17" Alienware M17x laptop for photo processing and more...yes, its overkill but I love it!

jbrevard
199 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2005

May 20, 2010 18:36 |  #6

my dad gets all the packages where he works, said the ups guy backs up to the building and walked on top of the boxes to get the ones off the shelf for them. I'd give bh a call and see what they have to say.

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,165 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 20, 2010 18:37 |  #7

I'd ask for a new one. For $1700 I'd expect a nice clean box.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

xMClass
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 20, 2010 18:39 |  #8

I suggest you contact B&H. I've never had a box from them take a beating like that. Keep in mind it's not B&H at fault. Blame UPS employees.

-Mikey

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,961 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 20, 2010 18:41 |  #9

I have no idea what's wrong with UPS and FedEX. Surprisingly, USPS seems to be much better.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

shooterjoe
95 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 21, 2010 01:35 |  #10

alpha_1976 wrote in post #10218114 (external link)
I have no idea what's wrong with UPS and FedEX. Surprisingly, USPS seems to be much better.

+100000

I use USPS a lot and have always been happy. They usually ship much faster as well.

I've had so much trouble from UPS and Fedex in the past, from damage to theft ( my iphone made it to my front door when i wasn't home and then some how "fell out of the truck" on the way back to the UPS center :rolleyes:)

Canon 5Dii | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | ef 70-200 f/2.8L II | 50mm f/1.8 | 580ex

Michael ­ Cheddar
343 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 21, 2010 01:44 |  #11

wtf? seriously? wow. call b&h. that's ridiculous.

5DIII | 35L | 85L II | 70-200L IS II

S2K.OGRAPHY
494 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2010 01:54 |  #12

totally unacceptable wow

flickr (external link)

jp129
294 posts
Joined May 2010

May 21, 2010 02:30 |  #13

Whoa, normally a beaten box wouldn't call my attention, but this one is epic. I would give BH a call to see what resolution they can come up with. I really doubt anything is wrong with your camera, but for that much money, it'd pain me to see it that way too.

DRIVER > GLASS > BODY

5x5 ­ photography
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 21, 2010 02:36 |  #14

I have to agree, that is unacceptable. UPS would get a call for sure.

My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/ (external link)

eicorvette
155 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 21, 2010 02:41 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

mine arrived in perfect conditions, contact them! dont keep that one, tell B&H that you just want to be safe and will send it back for them to send another one. I doubt they will get a hold of UPS just send it back, ask for the return label and try again

Canon EOS 7D...

sponsored links

8,539 views & 0 likes for this thread
Received 7D from B&H, box damaged
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.