Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 May 2010 (Tuesday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Client threatens with lawsuit, any pointers?

StudioBin
47 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 19, 2010 14:15 |  #46

I dunno but if a client threaten to sue..I know a lot of corporation will cease contact with the customer immediately and only will acknowledge contact with their lawyer. I find people who throw the "lawyer" card more inconsiderate people and really no matter how much you try to please.. they are never satisfied. If she threatens lawyer again I would suggest OP to only talk via their lawyer and not her. I'm pretty sure she has bad mouth you already if she ask you to sit with another "photographer". Don't give into her demands..she wants the world for the price of $0. GL and maybe you can suggest she calibrate her monitor?

www.studiobin.com (external link)

sponsored links
Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 19, 2010 14:50 |  #47

I looked at a lot of your pictures. You already have received a lot of good feedback, most of what I say will be redundant.
Most of the noisy photos could have been culled as there were others of the scene that were not.
To many tilts.
The work in general was average professional quality, she could not have to much to complain about unless you were charging her a lot of money. You had some constraints to deal with for sure.

Sounds like some arm chair "photographer" that did not know much got her all fired up, then later she talked to someone who knew what they were talking about that calmed her down.

I can't imagine a situation like this is much fun but you did your job. Seems she has settled down, there won't be a lawsuit.
Take the good advice you received in this thread and you should be fine in the future.

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 19, 2010 14:56 |  #48

duffel bag... heavy cement blocks... ocean...

i'm just saying. :)

joking of course.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

song4themoon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 19, 2010 16:10 |  #49

She had a short informal list of shots she wanted and we did all of them. So nothing she specifically requested was missed. :)

www.forever-yesterday.com (external link)

Gear: 2 Canon 1Ds Mark II, 2 Canon EOS 20D , 580EX flash, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS USM, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 24-70L 2.8, CanonEF 100mm 2.8 USM, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Sigma 20mm f1.8, Peleng Fisheye, 3 AB 800 w/ Pocket Wizzards

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 19, 2010 16:22 |  #50

If you go through your contract line-by-line, and you can honestly say that you delivered, then she has no damages. Trivia for the day -- you need damages to sue. Otherwise...........

If you're good, then start ignoring her entirely.

If you get notified that you have a problem, and it is small claims, just go in before the judge and tell the story.

(I'm not a lawyer, but my brother is a trial attorney and I've been down roads like this with business contracts - FWIW, if she has no standing, you have no problem)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 19, 2010 16:30 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

song4themoon wrote in post #10208222 (external link)
The bride only paid $1900 for 10 hours, the High Resolution Images on DVD with release and a photobook. So I would say she did not pay a ridiculous amount of money.

irrelevant to you or whoever what a decent amount of money is, you should not stereotype your work based on the amount of money people pay for it. its important to do a good job and not skimp for a 500$ wedding just as you would a 5000$ wedding.

same quality of service, same good pictures, same quality product

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 19, 2010 19:18 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #52

I wonder if the bride saw the Judge Joe Brown episode? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=js7RzcdDcMs (external link)

If she's like this towards you, I pity the new husband...

John

song4themoon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 20, 2010 05:29 |  #53

I saw that episode. The bride actually doesn't appear "bitchy' to me, the photog. is pretty weird

www.forever-yesterday.com (external link)

Gear: 2 Canon 1Ds Mark II, 2 Canon EOS 20D , 580EX flash, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS USM, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 24-70L 2.8, CanonEF 100mm 2.8 USM, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Sigma 20mm f1.8, Peleng Fisheye, 3 AB 800 w/ Pocket Wizzards

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 20, 2010 19:51 |  #54

song4themoon wrote in post #10214582 (external link)
I saw that episode. The bride actually doesn't appear "bitchy' to me, the photog. is pretty weird

yeah that photog was like "whaaaaat?" I think Judge Joe Brown woulda locked her up for being weird if he had jurisdiction ;-)a

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

May 21, 2010 08:04 |  #55

I was considering working as a second shooter before shooting weddings on my own. After reading threads like this one, I feel that I must have been insane to even consider weddings! I give you wedding shooters a lot of credit for putting up with things like this. I think I'll stick with HS sports, banquets and events that don't include brides!

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

May 21, 2010 11:20 |  #56

Mike R,

I refuse to photograph weddings. I tell client thats too, but I always add that I will shoot funerals!

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

rogazilla
372 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 21, 2010 14:09 as a reply to  @ TheFloridaShooter's post |  #57

This might be a bit far stretched but I wonder if she is having another photographer tell her "stuff".

Because she did asked if she can have another photographer to sit in a meeting. She also had the idea that pro always shoot raw. The last was that she like ur photo but the color don't pop. Maybe her photog friend is advising her along?

Roger
My Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

Chris
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 21, 2010 20:16 |  #58

rogazilla wrote in post #10222542 (external link)
This might be a bit far stretched but I wonder if she is having another photographer tell her "stuff".

Because she did asked if she can have another photographer to sit in a meeting. She also had the idea that pro always shoot raw. The last was that she like ur photo but the color don't pop. Maybe her photog friend is advising her along?

That was my first thought as well

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

TaggM
250 posts
Joined May 2010

May 23, 2010 10:38 |  #59

Above all else, maintain your reputation by remaining courteous, nice, and professional. Ask what the client what she wants to resolve this matter amicably and fairly. Let your advocates communicate any message other than acquiescence.

If you have insurance, call the insurance company and confirm whether your policy covers Errors and Omissions, or Malpractice/Indemnific​ation, and then go into the gory details with the party who can start the process of assisting you in this matter. Otherwise, you should preview the case with a malpractice attorney, and then join PPA and sign up for Malpractice/Indemnific​ation coverage.

I have Canon gear. SX1 IS, two 7D bodies and mostly f/2.8 lenses 10mm-200mm, doubler, and 17/4 TSE, some 580EX IIs. Additional portable lighting gear, and tripod with 360 pano mount. Want two 7D II bodies.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 23, 2010 11:47 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

Sheesh, whatever next..what some people would do to get free photographs these days

Some of the musicians I know, are just the same, except their wordings are different, 'oh we're skint' etc....

sponsored links

15,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
Client threatens with lawsuit, any pointers?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.