Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2010 (Saturday) 11:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Banding on 5d2 but not on another.

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 22, 2010 11:24 |  #1

I have 2 5d2s one has just been back from Canon where they did a "hard Reset" , now I can see all these "cuadrants" on all my files shot at iso 100 f11-16. On a zeiss 18mm.

Has anyone seen this before and know how to remedy as I am working away from "Home" - Can it be the software on teh machine , but in taht case why not on my other setup 5d2+24-70mm?

If anyone has experienced this and shed some light please ket me know as im really getting nervous.......

(Solution for Mouse Maze at end of post - trip to Canon)

27 july - 2 Month later: A very important update to 5d2 owners. I have just received a new in box 5d2 from Canon. They acknowledged the problem.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 22, 2010 18:38 |  #2

Really sad to say it Zinco but, I do see those quadrants in the image.

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 22, 2010 19:10 |  #3

i see them too...

ive seen alot of people have this problem. im glad mine doesnt do this

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 23, 2010 03:28 |  #4

Here I have them at 200% just so the problem is seen in big...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 23, 2010 03:29 |  #5

it looks like sharpening artifacts, but these are "RAw" files with nothing applied.

zincozinco
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 23, 2010 03:31 |  #6

booja wrote in post #10228308 (external link)
i see them too...

ive seen alot of people have this problem. im glad mine doesnt do this

do you know what they have done with it.?

voka_gsw
58 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 23, 2010 03:35 |  #7

I see it too. Very likely it's a hardware problem, might wanna send it to Canon.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 23, 2010 04:58 |  #8

It's funny that all the 5D MK II owners stay away from this thread. :) Denial? ;)

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 23, 2010 07:00 |  #9

jdizzle wrote in post #10230060 (external link)
It's funny that all the 5D MK II owners stay away from this thread. :) Denial? ;)

LOL :D

You should send it back to Canon.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 23, 2010 11:24 |  #10

I'm not sure what there is to deny, the OP has one camera that does this, and one that doesn't--that makes it pretty apparent that not all 5D's do this... :rolleyes:

Neither of my 5D's do this, but I've seen other examples of it. I would send it back to Canon.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 23, 2010 11:42 |  #11

I think there was another thread on POTN about this calling it a "mouse maze".

My 5D doesn't do that though - definitely not, I'd have noticed.

Edit:
Found the thread - https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=10043241

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,848 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 23, 2010 12:17 |  #12

This is not a typical 5D2 problem. Perhaps you are confusing this problem with the 5D2 shadow banding issue.

What the OP is showing here is the result of different resistances in odd and even line selectors and/or different amplifications for odd and even lines. This creates non-existent "detail" in the green channel, since the green pixels are in all rows and columns.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,930 posts
Gallery: 1740 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 23, 2010 12:47 |  #13

I recall a post some time ago where someone had a 7D and saw similar patterns at 100% viewing. And this individual eventually isolated the cause of the banding as having HTP set to on.

As you noted that you just got your camera back from Canon, and AFAIK, HTP is on by default. I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a shot and see if HTP has been turned back on, and if so, turn it off and take some new test photos?

I know it's a long shot but hey, you got nothing to lose. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 23, 2010 13:08 |  #14

timnosenzo wrote in post #10231075 (external link)
I'm not sure what there is to deny, the OP has one camera that does this, and one that doesn't--that makes it pretty apparent that not all 5D's do this... :rolleyes:

Neither of my 5D's do this, but I've seen other examples of it. I would send it back to Canon.

You can't take me seriously Tim.:) I've shot quite a few 5D IIs and while I feel it's not the camera I wished for, I continue to use my 1Ds MK III.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 23, 2010 13:14 |  #15

John Sheehy wrote in post #10231313 (external link)
This is not a typical 5D2 problem. Perhaps you are confusing this problem with the 5D2 shadow banding issue.

What the OP is showing here is the result of different resistances in odd and even line selectors and/or different amplifications for odd and even lines. This creates non-existent "detail" in the green channel, since the green pixels are in all rows and columns.

I'm not confusing the problem with the noise banding issue at all. I'm totally aware of that. I just can't remember where I read about the banding Zinco is talking about.

sponsored links

7,973 views & 0 likes for this thread
Banding on 5d2 but not on another.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.