Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2010 (Saturday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D Exposure meter needle stuck in center on AV and TV but works fine in M...

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 23, 2010 01:59 as a reply to  @ post 10229698 |  #16

It sounds to me like when you thought you were adjusting your aperture ("moving your f") in Av mode with the Quick Control Dial, you were actually changing exposure compensation - which was making the needle move. The fact that it's not doing so now is probably because you have the "On" switch on the back set at the first setting (as krb said), which disables the Quick Control Dial and doesn't allow you to change EC.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 23, 2010 07:08 as a reply to  @ Veemac's post |  #17

When you say "it used to move", you are talking about the same camera, right? It sounds a bit like you are referring to another camera, which behaved differently.

All the other posters here are right. In P, Av and Tv, the needle just shows you what you've set the exposure compensation at, so it never moves by itself.

The * which can be shown in the viewfinder indicates that you've locked the exposure, i.e. the camera doesn't any longer adjust exposure according to the brightness of the subject. Somewhat like a temporary M mode.

Anders

EliteScouter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2010

May 23, 2010 11:48 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #18

Yeah same camera

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

The bar in the middle used to move according to that 1/15 that I used to set at. It used to move from left to right now its just stuck in the center.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 23, 2010 11:49 as a reply to  @ EliteScouter's post |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

First, your picture is WAYYYY TO BIG -- HAS BEEN FIXED
also are you talking about you moving it yourself? if not you are mistaken it will not move on its own.

Canon T1i- gripped - 70-200 F4L IS - 430exII - Lowepro Fastpack 350
Flick (external link)r

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 23, 2010 12:26 |  #20

EliteScouter wrote in post #10231181 (external link)
Yeah same camera

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

The bar in the middle used to move according to that 1/15 that I used to set at. It used to move from left to right now its just stuck in the center.

When you are in Av/TV/P modes, it is showing the exposure compensation that you have set. It is NOT telling you how much light is there.

The ONLY way it will move is if you change the exposure compensation. To do this, make sure the camera is switched to the top "on" setting. Half press the shutter, and then scroll the large wheel on the back.

You will notice your pictures will come out brighter or darker based on your exposure compensation.

You are mistaken, it did not move based on the brightness. If it worked this way, it would always stay centered since the camera sets the expsore for you in these modes, and it would be useless as a display for the EC if it ever did move.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 23, 2010 15:21 |  #21

Think about it logically. In Tv mode you select the shutter speed and the camera selects the appropriate aperture to obtain the proper exposure. You selected 1/15 and the camera set f4. That's the right exposure for the light, so the needle is in the middle. If you change the speed to 1/8, the camera will immediately change the aperture to f5.6. That is still the right exposure so the needle is still in the center. Go down to 1/4 and you get f8 and the needle still has no need to move. Speed 1/2, aperture f11, needle in the center.

Elie / אלי

EdBray
646 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 23, 2010 15:28 |  #22

The more I read through this thread the more I think it's a wind up!

Canon EOS 5DMkII, Canon EOS 10D, Canon EF17-40L, Canon EF24L TS-E MkII, Canon 24-105L IS, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon EF 1.4x Extender MkII. Hasselblad 503CX, Hasselblad 500CM, Carl Zeiss 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, 250mm For my epitaph: Do not let my wife sell any of my kit for what I've told her I paid for it! My Flickr (external link)

Duckhunter250
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 23, 2010 16:49 |  #23

I want to hear him say it won't move anymore like it used to again.

60D|EF-S 18-55IS|EF-S 55-250IS|EF-S 18-135IS stm|EF 85-1.8|Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC |Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD | YN 465|Domke F-3x

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 23, 2010 18:47 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

Duckhunter250 wrote in post #10232504 (external link)
I want to hear him say it won't move anymore like it used to again.

for the 6th time

Canon T1i- gripped - 70-200 F4L IS - 430exII - Lowepro Fastpack 350
Flick (external link)r

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 23, 2010 19:11 |  #25

EliteScouter wrote in post #10229059 (external link)
Ok I am pretty new when it comes to all the settings on the camera but I think I did something on accident and now when I hold the exposure button half way down to focus and If I move my camera around the needle is stuck in center... In M it works fine but its just stuck in AV and TV. I tried to reset the settings to default and it's still stuck in center

In M mode, the display is a readout based on the metering. IOW, the readout tells you how the average scene brightness compares to a normally-exposed gray card, for the selected ISO.

In Tv, Av, and P modes, the "meter" is not a meter at all, but I reminder of what *you* have set the exposure compensation to. It will not move, unless *you* move it, by turning the rear wheel while the camera is in "ready to shoot" mode.

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2010 20:15 |  #26

check your on / off button, when you turn it on there are 2 clicks the first one I dont know why but disables the EC click it again and voila it works

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

luant16
424 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 23, 2010 20:48 |  #27

1. turn on camera to the second one (to activate the rear wheel)
2. switch camera to AV/TV
3. press half shutter
4. use rear wheel to change the EC

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i115.photobucke​t.com …n306/luant16/in​hand01.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

*image taken from Dpreview

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 23, 2010 20:59 as a reply to  @ luant16's post |  #28

Wouldn't it just be easier to say "OP, your camera is working the way it's supposed to?"

John

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

May 23, 2010 21:32 |  #29

JWright wrote in post #10233616 (external link)
Wouldn't it just be easier to say "OP, your camera is working the way it's supposed to?"

This.

Setting it to Av, Tv etc tells the camera - adjust the exposure parameters so the meter needle is in the middle.

My picture galleries (external link)

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 23, 2010 22:36 |  #30

JWright wrote in post #10233616 (external link)

I think that's been said a few times.

sponsored links

8,068 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D Exposure meter needle stuck in center on AV and TV but works fine in M...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.