Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2010 (Wednesday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Safrotto CF-700/Mekko F-0803 messenger bag

DK2
64 posts
Joined May 2008

May 19, 2010 14:40 |  #1

Hi all,

After *years* of searching i've decided I want that messenger-style, thin, "not looks like a camera bag" bag... but guess what, I can't find them! There is only one store on electronic bay that sells that specific model but I can't choose a color (I want black one) & the official mekko store don't have the 803 model in stock.

May be someone know another (hidden from mighty google) web store that sells these bags and ship them worldwide?
Or... possibly this bag (external link) could be a nice alternative for F-803 clones?

Thanks
D

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 19, 2010 14:45 |  #2

What's wrong with the Domke F-803 bag that those guys are ripping off? Available in blsck, navy, sand, olive or waxwear, as well as the J-803 in ballistic nylon.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

DK2
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined May 2008

May 19, 2010 14:56 |  #3

Jon wrote in post #10210957 (external link)
What's wrong with the Domke F-803 bag that those guys are ripping off? Available in blsck, navy, sand, olive or waxwear, as well as the J-803 in ballistic nylon.

Nothing wrong. Just the $$$ I can't afford (bag price+inserts+shipping​= roughly 100$ more).

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 19, 2010 15:27 |  #4

The Domke includes an insert. Where are you located?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

DK2
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined May 2008

May 19, 2010 17:25 |  #5

Jon wrote in post #10211217 (external link)
Where are you located?

Holy Land :) Israel

So f-803 includes an insert? A big one with 2 dividers like with knockoff bags or a single sleeve?

PS. In my first post I was referring to THIS (external link) bag, Tamrac 3537.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 19, 2010 19:15 |  #6

Single sleeve which will divide the bag into three compartments with padding between them. Bear in mind that too much padding makes your bags bulky without conferring any benefits to counterbalance the bulk.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

DK2
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2010 23:44 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #7

Thanks Jon,
And you are right about bulk and padding... only the price of Domke is still biting, something I can't afford right now.
I've also thought about stuffing some military style messenger bag with cheap ebay inserts but I'm afraid to miscalculate the size of bag>insert.

AnywayZ - a few words on Tamrac 3537, anyone:confused:?

hyt
114 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 23, 2010 15:49 |  #8

Jon wrote in post #10210957 (external link)

Declining build quality since Tiffen took over, for one thing. Annoying plastic bone sewn into the entire length of the top flap that prevents the bag from molding to the body, for another. The Safrotto/Mekko knockoffs have neither problem. I support local businesses, respect intellectual property, and don't mind paying more for better quality. But in this case, I'm paying less for better quality, against a has-been company whose only selling point now is "Made in USA." Sorry, but I'm not the chump that Tiffen/Domke takes me for.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 23, 2010 16:34 |  #9

That "plastic bone sewn into the entire length of the top flap" dates to the original Domke bags. It's in my F-801, which was sold to attach to the F-2. And having been using Domke bags since the very beginning, I've experienced no decline in quality over that 30ish years.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

hyt
114 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 23, 2010 16:47 |  #10

Yes, I know. Couldn't figure out its function for the life of me, so I paid a luggage repair shop to remove it. Bit better after that. My minimalist bag has been F-5XB's for the past 10 years. Liked it well enough except for the Velcro which I removed. After my last few wore out, I ordered some replacements only to discover that the new Tiffen versions have a hard plastic board sewn into the bottom, the edge of which digs into my hip and will no doubt wear a hole through the canvas in short order. The canvas is also noticeably thinner on the new ones, to the point where I can see the outline of my fingers when holding the flap up to the room light.

The Safrotto and Mekko knockoffs are just amazingly better in every respect - thicker canvas, better hardware, no unnecessary plastic skeletons. I would pay MORE for a Safrotto or Mekko than its equivalent modern Domke - and that's just pathetic. I fully understand your attachment to Domkes (I was, at one time) but you have to see and hold the Safrottos/Mekkos to experience it for yourself.

hyt
114 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 23, 2010 23:30 |  #11

I actually ended up ordering another F-803 this afternoon (the real thing) since nobody has that specific Saf/Mek version in stock. Guess I'm a chump after all.

Edit: It appears that Tiffen/Domke no longer puts a plastic bar into the top flap of the F-803. Instead, there now seems to be a piece of cardboard in there, which is not as bad because it can be compressed and bent. I'm still going to have it removed but it's not as bad as the old plastic bar was.

sponsored links

5,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
Safrotto CF-700/Mekko F-0803 messenger bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.