Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 May 2010 (Sunday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CANADIANS!!! Best place to get photos printed?

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 23, 2010 18:30 |  #1

Just wondering if anyone's got suggestions for the best place to get digital photos printed (and film developed and printed) in Canada...I'm looking for highest quality...

Thanks,
Tamas

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
James ­ P
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 23, 2010 19:28 |  #2

Since I'm in Ontario and you are in BC, I don't know if you have Shoppers Drug Mart out there. If so, I can highly recomend their prints.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 23, 2010 20:36 |  #3

We do have them out here! Thanks, much appreciated :) Anyone else?

-=Gear=-

madspartus
164 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 23, 2010 20:53 |  #4

i can recommend that you DONT go to shoppers. When i tried it the sky in my print had a huge red tint when it shouldnt have. it wasnt even constant, splotchy red.

the sample i got from blacks was very nice, as was the one from a local pro developer, but then i tried out costco using a gift card and it was quite nice and stupid cheap, so i use that.

I dont get prints for sale, just to hang around the house

1d MKiin, 2x XTi /w grips, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 200mm f/2.8L II, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 430EX, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4X TC

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 23, 2010 21:32 as a reply to  @ madspartus's post |  #5

Has anyone tried Black's photography service for printing yet?

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 23, 2010 21:33 as a reply to  @ madspartus's post |  #6

I would stay away from all quickie developing type of places. You can get quality from them but in my experience you won't get it consistently.

I use www.technicare.com (external link) for my lab. Not sure if they have a lab in your area but they are damned good. They have a wide range of product offerings and I love that they use ROES. There are many quality labs in Canada you just have to try a few until you find one that you are happy with. When I was trying to nail down which one I would use I sent them the same image a few weeks apart to compare for their consistency.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 23, 2010 21:46 |  #7

ssim wrote in post #10233765 (external link)
I would stay away from all quickie developing type of places. You can get quality from them but in my experience you won't get it consistently.

I use www.technicare.com (external link) for my lab. Not sure if they have a lab in your area but they are damned good. They have a wide range of product offerings and I love that they use ROES. There are many quality labs in Canada you just have to try a few until you find one that you are happy with. When I was trying to nail down which one I would use I sent them the same image a few weeks apart to compare for their consistency.

how much did the lab charge you for printing?

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit

Mhappy
356 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 23, 2010 22:40 as a reply to  @ picard's post |  #8

I use Blacks. Out of the 10 years I've been using them, they've been very consistent. The odd time, I've had a minor problem, sometimes my fault, sometimes theirs, they've re-printed for me at no extra cost. (or if it's my screw up, they've allowed me to re-submit it to be printed again again, at no extra charge!)

BTW, I never use blacks-online printing service and have them shipped to the store closest to me, I always use the local lab... unless of course if I'm printing larger than 11x14... those gets shipped out. Blacks local labs don't have the equipment to print large prints.

50D / XT (backup) / 17-85mm / 24-70mm f/2.8 L / 50mm f/1.8 / 2- 430 EX Speedlite and a Fonger (I know most photogs hate it, but I like it!) / Everything else I use... I rent! ;-)a

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 23, 2010 23:32 as a reply to  @ Mhappy's post |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

only the best for me, I don't care which country it comes from..if I don't print it myself it's coming from a real pro lab and not some random department store.

there are no labs in canada that i recommend for printing

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

ssim
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 24, 2010 02:14 |  #10

picard wrote in post #10233839 (external link)
how much did the lab charge you for printing?

They have a price list that is some 30 odd pages long. Anything in particular you are looking for. I would simply suggest that you contact them for a price list pdf.

I have tried several top notch labs in both the US and Canada. There were some labs in the Toronto and Montreal areas that did just as good as work as Technicare but I use them because of the proximity to me.

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 24, 2010 02:25 |  #11

http://www.technicare.​com/ (external link)

Most local pros use them, I have stuff printed from them and after some setup you will not be disappointed!

Fast shipping and price is fair.

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 24, 2010 03:57 |  #12

ssim wrote in post #10234813 (external link)
They have a price list that is some 30 odd pages long. Anything in particular you are looking for. I would simply suggest that you contact them for a price list pdf.

I have tried several top notch labs in both the US and Canada. There were some labs in the Toronto and Montreal areas that did just as good as work as Technicare but I use them because of the proximity to me.

I am just curious whether Blacks is reliable.

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II

JulieNick
233 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 24, 2010 05:38 |  #13

I print my own snaps. I did see products from these people: http://willowpaperwork​s.com/ (external link)
and I thought that they were pretty good.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/27834677@N06/ (external link)
Gear: Canon XTi, Sigma 17-70, Canon 5d classic, Promaster 7500 speed light.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 24, 2010 11:08 |  #14

thanks for the tips, but since there's no Technicare on the island I think I'll pass. Plus they don't have any prices on their site...I'll try Black's :)

-=Gear=-

ssim
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 24, 2010 11:13 |  #15

LowriderS10 wrote in post #10236555 (external link)
thanks for the tips, but since there's no Technicare on the island I think I'll pass. Plus they don't have any prices on their site...I'll try Black's :)

When you started you said in Canada. I would not have even bothered replying if you had stated that your criteria was it had to be on Vancouver Island. My son lived in Victoria for a few years and I did some work out there at that time. I couldn't find what I would call a high level pro lab that provided the services and quality that I was after.

I don't have a Technicare where I live either. If I have them uploaded by 1100 I will have the courier package on my door by 9 the next morning. Picking a lab is sort of like choosing any other service, it is a matter of personal preference. Good luck.

sponsored links

28,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
CANADIANS!!! Best place to get photos printed?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.