Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 May 2010 (Sunday) 13:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of you does this to your cam?

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 24, 2010 13:22 |  #61

neil_r wrote in post #10237221 (external link)
No I am a mild mannered sort of chap who just happens to be 6' 7", weighs 294 Lbs spent far too long in the army and played first class rugby for years.

I do not fit the classic profile of "Victim"

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

,,,and you forgot to mention,,butt ugly;)

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links
robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 24, 2010 13:41 as a reply to  @ post 10237131 |  #62

I posted in the other thread but add comments here as well.

My gear, most of it is taped over. Not only the brand names but also the edges and prism dome, basically any place that might take a bump or ding. I try to baby my gear and if the time comes can resell it but I also want to actually use my camera, so I keep the camera wrapped up. I started doing this as to hide my camera, people don't pay much attention to a camera they can't see the brand, and it doesn't stick out as much.

I found this out from going to sporting events. When I would bring a white lens, I noticed a lot of people looking at me, stopping to ask questions, but once I taped over the lens, less people would notice me. I think it was apart that the strange white lens was no longer different from any one shooting with a black lens, and fit in better. Also from a security point of view, I was hassled less by security (good and bad) for taking professional photos.

After a while I got used to the idea of just keeping my gear under tape, and honestly never liked displaying huge logos on my items. My previous motorcycles were all debadged and stickers removed, car debadged, typically prefer military version of backpacks for less logos. I know some people love branding, I just don't like it. Looking at a Nascar is my nightmare. lol

For thief protection, I used to think it would help but I'm not so sure. I don't want to trust any thing and of course simple tape isn't going to save you if you are taking photos in a bad part of town. What I do noticed is that with my sloppy tape job, very rarely does someone noticed the camera is a new model. Most of the time the casual person will comment "that's really beat up" or "is that a film camera" or "how old is your camera", never "oh wow nice 5d!".

Does this make my camera less desirable to steal? No, but when given a choice between the busted looking camera and a brand new 50D (labeled so clearly by the nice bright red neck strap), I think the choice would be the easy to sell 50D.

Now this also works against me as well. I've noticed that when people notice your camera, they really get out of your way. Throw on a white lens and some branding, people just get out of your way. Also at some sporting events, security will hassle less, really depends.

Speaking on the subject of 3rd world travel. I don't think any amount of tape will help and if I was intending to travel I would buy a camera that I could afford to loose, just keeping the memory card hidden in a jacket pocket.

Amateur photographer

fiebru1119
718 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2009

May 24, 2010 13:45 |  #63

That just looks like what they do when they show cameras on tv where the logo is not allowed.... I've seen many police shows where the guy wips out a camera on the "steakout" and starts taking pictures of the "perp". I've also noticed apple blocks out their logos in some movies/commercials/et ...

If any of you watch "Flashforward" on ABC you might have caught the nikon body with sigma 70-200 that the guy was using to take pics of secret operation in afghanisan. Off topic, it's always amazed me how much more reach these cameras have on tv. The guy had a 1.5x crop body with a 70-200 In Pitch black arab night and still had enough shutter speed, iso, and reach to get a clear shot of guys walking around with gun at over a half mile away! :D

A7RIII | EF15/2.8 FE | 16-35/4.0LIS | 24/1.4L II | ZA55/1.8 | 24-105G OSS

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 24, 2010 14:35 |  #64

yogestee wrote in post #10237296 (external link)
,,,and you forgot to mention,,butt ugly;)

Well of course, that goes without saying :-)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Ainoko
Stupidest Question Award 2008
1,406 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 24, 2010 15:09 |  #65

I tape over my 20D's to prevent the pop-up flash from being used.

Full Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=4846834&post​count=1005

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 24, 2010 15:39 |  #66

It's funny how everyone automatically label those who tape up their gear as pretentious snobs. I suppose everyone who debadges their car is, too.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2010 15:43 |  #67

toxic wrote in post #10238143 (external link)
It's funny how everyone automatically label those who tape up their gear as pretentious snobs. I suppose everyone who debadges their car is, too.

It's kind of funny.. I never considered tapping my camera. But recently, people have been coming up to me asking "how do you like.." The tape is starting to look like a good idea, not to avoid theft, but to avoid being annoyed. (maybe that does make me a "pretentious snob" -- I'm okay with that) The people that bug me, I don't think would recognize the camera except by the strap and labels.

My car is de-badged.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 24, 2010 16:25 |  #68

By adding tape, all those people asking "how do you like....?" are just going to start saying "what kind of....?" I doubt it will make matters any easier.

Thankfully, nobody ever bothers me when I'm out shooting. Or at least, hasn't yet. I'm sure I'll run into "that guy" eventually.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

May 24, 2010 16:44 as a reply to  @ Cesium's post |  #69

I doubt they do it for theft reasons.

It's probably a philosophical statement. Maybe they read enough Naomi Klein and let it get to them.

Better question is - WHY does the logo has to be prominent on your camera?

There's no natural law that states that.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

ukactionsports
435 posts
Joined May 2005

May 24, 2010 16:57 |  #70

tkbslc wrote in post #10234595 (external link)
Does this thread really even exist?

Nope. I've just stuck some black tape over my monitor to hide the thread. Therefore that doesn't exist anymore. ;)

Tim

1D MKIII - 5D MKII - 135L - 24-105L - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 300L f4 IS - EX 580II
flickr (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2010 17:05 |  #71

ukactionsports wrote in post #10238622 (external link)
Nope. I've just stuck some black tape over my monitor to hide the thread. Therefore that doesn't exist anymore. ;)

I think someone taped over the last part of the last word of the title so we would not recognize the "camera"! :)

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links

8,952 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of you does this to your cam?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.