Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 May 2010 (Wednesday) 22:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tape Over the Camera Brand?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 25, 2010 07:07 |  #91

itzcryptic wrote in post #10241628 (external link)
I think the police might not be as readily available in some countries, allowing the theft to run unchecked.

That would include the US. I don't think there is anywhere that has 1:1 ratio of police officers to thieves, and it's not particularly easy to call up a police officer anywhere in the US at the moment a thief is hightailing it away with your camera.

Last time I called the police in the US after being mugged, I was the only one who ended up in the back of the squad car.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links
20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 25, 2010 08:36 |  #92

RDKirk wrote in post #10241621 (external link)
That is "gaffer" by the way. It's stage-talk for "electrician." Notice the "gaffers" identified in movie credits.

Some people prefer a gaffe, in tape and otherwise.

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 25, 2010 12:30 |  #93

AdamLewis wrote in post #10240391 (external link)
Ive never had gaffer tape leave anything behind. If yours is, you need to buy better tape.

Sadly I'm not always the one making the decision about which brand to buy and subsequently I have had gaffa leave gunk behind. Also some people I've worked with over the years decided to use gaffa to affix filters to parcans, the heat baking tape onto the cans is a bu**er to remove!

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 25, 2010 12:34 |  #94

20droger wrote in post #10189861 (external link)
It's "gaffe" tape all right!

:lol::lol::lol:

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 25, 2010 15:55 |  #95

A dslr is a dslr and a lens is a lens.
No matter what brand it is, if you are carrying around a large camera and lenses, the thief does not care if it's Nikon, Canon, Oly or Pentax.
He'll get some cash for it no matter what the brand.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 25, 2010 16:09 |  #96

RDKirk wrote in post #10187868 (external link)
I went from the Philippines to Washington DC. I didn't get robbed in the Philippines, but I got mugged at gunpoint twice within 48 hours in Washington DC (on a Saturday afternoon then again that Monday afternoon).

just out of curiosity, where in the world were you to have that happen twice in a two day period? i've been mugged in baltimore before (a case in which i'll be the first to admit that my own carelessness played a significant factor), but i've lived in and around DC my whole life and i've never been as unfortunate as you. i suppose if you spent all of your time outside at night in southeast..

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

RDKirk
13,203 posts
Joined May 2004

May 25, 2010 17:09 |  #97

alt4852 wrote in post #10244767 (external link)
just out of curiosity, where in the world were you to have that happen twice in a two day period? i've been mugged in baltimore before (a case in which i'll be the first to admit that my own carelessness played a significant factor), but i've lived in and around DC my whole life and i've never been as unfortunate as you. i suppose if you spent all of your time outside at night in southeast..

Yes, it was in SE... just outside Bolling AFB. Actually, while I was there a woman was shot on base at the entrance of the base exchange. They traced the path of the bullet and determined that it was a stray round from a gunfight that occurred in a housing project off base.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 25, 2010 20:17 |  #98

itzcryptic wrote in post #10241628 (external link)
I think the police might not be as readily available in some countries, allowing the theft to run unchecked.

What theft??

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 25, 2010 20:44 |  #99

RDKirk wrote in post #10245085 (external link)
Yes, it was in SE... just outside Bolling AFB. Actually, while I was there a woman was shot on base at the entrance of the base exchange. They traced the path of the bullet and determined that it was a stray round from a gunfight that occurred in a housing project off base.

i'm sorry to hear that. yea, it's common knowledge for people in this area to stay in northwest DC as much as possible. southwest and northeast are fine as long as you stay in certain areas, but traveling in southeast is rarely ever a good idea if you're not familiar with your surroundings. if you were there at the base, i suppose you couldn't really help it though. :confused:

yogestee wrote in post #10246026 (external link)
What theft??

i think he means that thieves are present regardless where you travel, but more developed countries may have more effective/available law enforcement officers to respond to them. whether or not i agree with it is questionable, but i think he was just making a blanket statement about people in general.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

RDKirk
13,203 posts
Joined May 2004

May 25, 2010 21:16 as a reply to  @ alt4852's post |  #100

but more developed countries may have more effective/available law enforcement officers to respond to them.

The fallacy of that thinking is that thieves will always be where the police are not, and there is nowhere that the police are everywhere. And if there were, it would be a lousy place for photographers.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 26, 2010 15:56 |  #101

the biggest problem with this thread is that all the people promoting taping over the brand names are photographers who are sharing how THEY would make their camera less appreciable/noticeable​/expensive looking to OTHER photographers... if you are an outsider in any place, whether it be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd/developed, non-developed you will stand out, with or without a giant camera.

If you are a westerner you will stand out and the local populace assume you are loaded in Mexico, Africa, most of Asia and most of the former Soviet Union - I know, I live it every day - and big surprise, skin/hair/eye color is not the only giveaway!

Taping up your gear is not a theft deterrent, its pretty 'safe' to say - sorry!

I remember a couple years back someone posted a thread about how all their gear got stolen in a multi-person diversion setup theft. I've been to Italy twice (and love it, I wish I was there every sing day) and its an EU member nation, should we tape our gear when we got to Italy? oh no? Why not? the guy who posted the thread got scammed cause he was an outsider who turned his head in the wrong direction at the wrong time, not cause he had a giant camera out - he was going to the train station with all his stuff packed... anyway...

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 26, 2010 16:03 |  #102

yogestee wrote in post #10246026 (external link)
What theft??

Any theft.

If the govt does not have the means to imprison the criminals, then there will be more of them out on the street, stealing your cameras. Or if there are more people in poverty, the level of theft will likely be higher.

Personally, if I felt the need to tape over my camera, I probably wouldn't be there to begin with.

robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 26, 2010 16:50 |  #103

Andrushka wrote in post #10251096 (external link)
Taping up your gear is not a theft deterrent, its pretty 'safe' to say - sorry!

I think there's some difference in theft deterrent between traveling in the US or other countries. When I say there's some theft deterrent it's when in a group of tourists at a zoo or any other place where I'll be with other people carrying cameras. I don't think that any time I can tape up my camera, walk through Oakland at 1am and not expect the camera to get lifted.

But I do believe that simply brand names bring more attention, and in turn more attention brings more attraction, which means more eyes on my gear, one of those people might be a thief. Where you like it or not, the name Canon will be easier to associate with $$$ than some black camera with no names. It's understandable that people want to wear the CPS neck strap, biggest possible lens hood, white lens, but each of those items brings more attention.

Not only with photography equipment, but other areas are similar. Performance cars were for a while sporting stickers, but it started to be associated with street racing and also more theft since the stickers were representative of the parts on the car. Removed the stickers, now the police and thieves have to look harder and the car doesn't turn heads, making it stick out in public.

Another idea is the difference between wearing a watch with diamonds and gold vs a watch with regular black band with stainless steel body. Both watches do the same function and either or might be more expensive but which one really stands out? The diamonds and gold watch. It's true that both watches are money for a thief but which one do you think will bring in more money, the more flashy watch that catches his eye.

I think this topic is less about theft than it is about showing off a brand or model name.

Amateur photographer

RDKirk
13,203 posts
Joined May 2004

May 26, 2010 17:06 as a reply to  @ robscomputer's post |  #104

If the govt does not have the means to imprison the criminals, then there will be more of them out on the street, stealing your cameras.

This is no less true or more true in any one country than another. There are areas in any country where poverty exists with little crime and vice versa--poverty per se does not cause crime. If you go to the "bad part" of any city or town anywhere in the world, you can get robbed. If you go to the "nice part" of town anywhere in the world, you will be safe.

If you're in a big city crowd, anywhere in the world, you might get your pocket picked or your strap cut. No country is any more or less immune.

I've been walking the streets with cameras around my neck in Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Thailand--even in small villages with just a bit of care, I've not been bothered at all or even worried. I've been mugged four total times in the US, as I mentioned, twice within 48 hours in DC.

And there is no government that doesn't have the means and ability to catch petty thieves and put them away--Third World countries are rather better at that than industrialized countries. It's the major crime lords that have the pull to stay on the street, not the petty thieves. And come to think of it, major crime lords manage to stay out of jail in industrialized countries just as easily as Third World countries.

RDKirk
13,203 posts
Joined May 2004

May 26, 2010 17:17 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #105

But I do believe that simply brand names bring more attention, and in turn more attention brings more attraction, which means more eyes on my gear, one of those people might be a thief. Where you like it or not, the name Canon will be easier to associate with $$$ than some black camera with no names. It's understandable that people want to wear the CPS neck strap, biggest possible lens hood, white lens, but each of those items brings more attention.

As has been said repeated: Thieves don't look at brand names. Camera geeks look at brand names. Thieves look at opportunity. You can leave the keys in any car that runs, and someone will steal it. You give a thief a clean opportunity to steal a disposable camera, and he will steal it.

sponsored links

22,890 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tape Over the Camera Brand?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.