Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 May 2010 (Sunday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Toshiaba Laptops..Any Good??

YP5 ­ Toronto
499 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 23, 2010 13:02 |  #16

...where does one buy a custom built laptop via a LOCAL store?

Not sure I know of mom and pop shops building their own laptops via some component program.

Canon 7D Gripped |Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 |Canon EF 24-70L | |Canon EF 70-200L F2.8IS MKI |Sigma 530DG | Giottos 9360 | Giottos MH-1301 | Giottos MH656 | Spyder2Pro | Kata 3IN1-20 | Kata Bumblebee UL-222

sponsored links
CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 23, 2010 13:13 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

YP5 Toronto wrote in post #10231487 (external link)

Not sure I know of mom and pop shops building their own laptops via some component program.

Custom built laptops are usually not good quality, go mac or dell.

Canon T1i- gripped - 70-200 F4L IS - 430exII - Lowepro Fastpack 350
Flick (external link)r

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2010 15:52 |  #18

CJM Photography wrote in post #10231526 (external link)
Custom built laptops are usually not good quality...

On what data or personal experience are you basing this blanket statement?

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2010 16:04 |  #19

YP5 Toronto wrote in post #10231487 (external link)

Who said "mom and pop shops"?

I said my preference would be a custom PC laptop or a MacBook Pro, but in lieu of that, a Dell.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 23, 2010 16:37 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

ChasP505 wrote in post #10232277 (external link)
On what data or personal experience are you basing this blanket statement?

I have delt with them before, generally the bodies are much cheaper.

Canon T1i- gripped - 70-200 F4L IS - 430exII - Lowepro Fastpack 350
Flick (external link)r

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 24, 2010 03:51 |  #21

I've had three Toshiba laptops in a row and I've loved them all. Comfortable for me and very reliable. Specs and performance against price has always been good too, which is another main thing.

I upgraded from my first to the second because I spilled water all over the keyboard of the first :lol: And the second to third only happened because I was giving the second to my sister. The third is the best of the lot :)

Kaspinn
32 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 24, 2010 14:33 |  #22

I was recently as Tiger Direct looking at laptops, I came across Asus. According to the salesperson, they're some of the best laptops out there. They are the ones who actually make MBs for the competition. Also Asus and Toshiba rank 1 and 2 in quality from a 2009 survey. So you can't go wrong either way.

I was looking at core i7 laptops and for the money, the Asus was very well equipped. $1200, 4G RAM, full HD monitor, dedicated graphics.

I don't know if it was just my imagination, but it seems the Toshibas were a little heavier than the other machines????

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 25, 2010 20:58 |  #23

I'll be looking for a new laptop as my Toshiba, bought in mid 2008, died a very sudden, no warning at all death yesterday. Would I buy another Toshiba? maybe.

It wasn't the greatest laptop ever and for sure wipe that hard drive coz boy does it come with a ton of crap pre-installed. I also always had problem with the dvd drive...it would burn & play disks no problem for a while, then it would refuse to acknowledge the drive even existed. A reboot would solve it, but it was a pain. All in all, it more or less did the job I needed it to do but I wasn't all ga-ga over it.

At least the Toshiba didn't go out in with a screaming death cry & a huge scary puff of smoke like my Sony Vaio did :D

Kristin

JulieNick
233 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 25, 2010 21:06 |  #24

I bought a Toshiba 3 years ago. I didn't baby it either. I had CS3, Corel Draw (for engraving), Compucon program (for embroidery) as well as thousands of photos on it. Loved it.
I am now going to admit to being a dummy. The fan was running longer than usual and getting warmer than normal. I tried cleaning the fan and vent with compressed air and I could still see the dust bunnies inside. So, I decided to take it apart and clean the dust out. I killed it. It won't power up. The repair guy said that I done something to the mother board. Maybe I did, dunno. Everything was still connected but doesn't work.
I would buy another Toshiba but I'm thinking on saving for a macbook.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/27834677@N06/ (external link)
Gear: Canon XTi, Sigma 17-70, Canon 5d classic, Promaster 7500 speed light.

sponsored links

2,865 views & 0 likes for this thread
Toshiaba Laptops..Any Good??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.