Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 May 2010 (Sunday) 16:32
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which zoom for Beijing/Hong Kong Trip? 17-40L or 24-105L"
17-40L
38.5%
24-105L
61.5%

91 voters, 91 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Selection for Beijing/Hong Kong Trip

smeister
331 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 24, 2010 15:40 |  #16

If you are bringing the 35 and 135 already then go for 17-40 for some nice landscape shots!

- www.trungsnaps.com (external link) -
Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Nepal Earthquake Relief Galleries (external link) | Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links
robbykh
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 24, 2010 18:43 as a reply to  @ smeister's post |  #17

Bring all your lenses, as long as you are okay handling the extra weight in your carry-on. I brought mines and other than loading my carry-on in the luggage rack in the airplane and unpacking all my photography equipment at security check points, no issues whatsoever. I'm glad I brought it.

Canon Rebel T1i ; EFS 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ; EFS 18-55mm IS ; EFS 55-250mm IS; Speedlight 430EXII.

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

May 24, 2010 23:39 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

Here's the view from the Peak.

I stitched a couple of 24mm shots together for this. I didn't put an awful lot of effort into this because it was pretty hazy. But it shows you can use 24mm this way if you feel you don't want to be changing lenses too often. Then of course, with the 17-40 you can always set it to 24mm. ;) OH and this was shot in Neutral and I didn't bother adding more saturation if you're wondering why the greens look so dull. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Of course if you're into UWA street shots, the 17-40 will be awesome, so bring that. This was taken with the 10-22mm on a 40D (about 2 years ago). Shot at 10mm = 16mm so pretty close.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Honest Wide Dispensary... *giggle* :lol:

RonLegend
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 25, 2010 15:06 |  #19

@ Stealthy Ninja - sweet! thanks for posting examples ... I think I am leaning towards bringing the 17-40mm after thinking about how it would be useful for tight spaces. I guess I should just plan to carry the 135mm with me on days that I do use the 17-40mm, just in case I need the longer reach.

@ All - thanks again for the feedback about how it is carrying around the equipment over there. seems like it should be fine as I've heard from numerous sources now.

5D Mark II | primes and zooms | 
flickr (external link)

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 25, 2010 16:59 |  #20

I voted 17-40. I think you will regret not taking a UWA.

I would actually take both lenses and a prime. I really miss travelling with 10-22 + 24-105 + 50/1.4 when I had a crop. I have not been able to match this on FF, but I am still working on my kit.

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

May 25, 2010 17:52 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

RonLegend wrote in post #10244391 (external link)
@ Stealthy Ninja - sweet! thanks for posting examples ... I think I am leaning towards bringing the 17-40mm after thinking about how it would be useful for tight spaces. I guess I should just plan to carry the 135mm with me on days that I do use the 17-40mm, just in case I need the longer reach.

@ All - thanks again for the feedback about how it is carrying around the equipment over there. seems like it should be fine as I've heard from numerous sources now.

Yeah, though I voted 24-105, I am sorta switching my mind to the 17-40 now considering you have the 135. Just get a nice shoulder bag so you can switch lenses out. This also can/will keep your bag at your front safe from thieves.

Hong Kong has pick pockets (my wife has been hit 3 times and I suspect I have once) Beijing would have more, so be careful and you'll be OK.

When I was in Tianjin once (China's 3rd largest city if I remember correctly) my friend had a "nice old man" come up and pretend to look at a badge he had on his coat. My friend looked down to see the old's hand in his coat pocket (nothing in the pocket) he was lucky. Another friend of mine had his shoulder bag snatched from him by a dude on a motorbike. So always make sure your bag is secure.

I recommend checking out Pacsafe products.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,240 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 25, 2010 17:57 |  #22

i couldn't imagine going to bejing without my UWA...so i voted 17-40mm since your on FF...the great wall needs ultra wide...it's amazing...have a good trip

as far as safety be aware of your surroundings, and i think you'll be fine

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

MC925
76 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2008

May 25, 2010 18:51 |  #23

being from hong kong and have visited beijing, def 17-40mm, like most said before me, you'll regret it if you don't bring it. hong kong is a fascinating place, where some streets and alley ways are extremely tight where you have no room to back up and get the shot you want. i'm sure you'll be going to the great wall of china and will def need as wild as possible.

be sure to stop by one of the traditional cafes and have a cup of hong kong ice milk tea and egg custard, it's to die for!

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 25, 2010 19:36 |  #24

I voted for 17-40. It's very important to have a ultra wide angle lens. Many times, there will not be places for you to take a few step backwards.

On a side note thought, remember to keep your gear dry. or else fungus will grow on it because Hk is a super moist location. Summer in HK is like "walking through water".

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

oomus
313 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 25, 2010 19:43 as a reply to  @ ckckevin's post |  #25

I have to agree on the 17-40.. I went to Japan earlier this year and the 24-105 was too much for most of the tall and compact area stuff. Definately go wide and crop if needed.

Scott G.
WWW.AzClockStoppers.co​m (external link)
The Gear List

marivil
327 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 25, 2010 21:42 |  #26

24-105L Don't leave home without it.

-Gene-
Always looking forward to my next shoot.
Gear- Canon Bodies- 5D Mark II , 50D both gripped -- Lens - 300L F.28 IS, 70-200L F2.8 IS II, 24-105L IS and a 35L F1.4. , WHAT'S NEXT
?
2x & 1.4 Extender - 580 EX II

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 25, 2010 21:58 |  #27

cheungupdt wrote in post #10245789 (external link)
I voted for 17-40. It's very important to have a ultra wide angle lens. Many times, there will not be places for you to take a few step backwards.

On a side note thought, remember to keep your gear dry. or else fungus will grow on it because Hk is a super moist location. Summer in HK is like "walking through water".

I probably won't go there between March and September as it is usually super humid and rainy in those months in HK. Any tip to keep the lenses dry. Will the big temperature and humidity difference between indoor and outdoor do any harm to the lenses and camera? If so, how to protect the gears? I really want to know as I am planning to make a trip there as well. I know poeple in HK love to turn up the AC. it's always chilly indoor (even on MTR, bus or taxi) and it's burning hot and extrememly humid outdoor.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 25, 2010 22:19 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

nonick wrote in post #10246597 (external link)
I probably won't go there between March and September as it is usually super humid and rainy in those months in HK. Any tip to keep the lenses dry. Will the big temperature and humidity difference between indoor and outdoor do any harm to the lenses and camera? If so, how to protect the gears? I really want to know as I am planning to make a trip there as well. I know poeple in HK love to turn up the AC. it's always chilly indoor (even on MTR, bus or taxi) and it's burning hot and extrememly humid outdoor.

Well since green groups have been hassling them, the MTR and buses have turn them "down" a bit (they're warmer than before). Even the ol' chill boxes (Cinemas) are a bit warmer these days.

As for fogging etc. it can be a pain. I was in ocean park the other day and when I came out of a cool restaurant my lens (and viewfinder... and glasses) fogged up instantly.

I wiped it down with a microfibre cloth. That's the best way.

Also, even if you're like the guy in my cartoon below, put a UV "protection" filter on the front of your lens, this will help.

As for keeping stuff dry. Some silica gel packs chucked in your bag should be fine. I carry my camera with me every day (I have a dry cabinet thing at home BTW) and I've never had troubles with humidity ruining gear.

Remember too that air-conditioners dehumidify the air, so make use of that in your hotel or whatever and you'll be hunky-dory.

Promised cartoon:

IMAGE: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-WVdbQVNaK0/SmbaihA0XeI/AAAAAAAAA74/l7nJBGwn09s/Stealthy%20Filter.jpg

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,211 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 26, 2010 00:00 as a reply to  @ post 10238070 |  #29

I just returned from two weeks in Mainland China and Hong Kong. I carried a pair of 1.6x cameras plus a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. I also brought a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina but, seldom used it.

I probably shot 60% of my images with the 17-55mm and 40% with the 70-200mm. The 17mm was wide enough in most venues - when I needed wider, I would shoot a hand-held pano (see Bird Cage pano shot at 55mm). I willl admit that I am not at all a great fan of ultrawide shots - especially street shots containing people... The 17-55mm was a great lens for low light shooting but, your f/f camera has better high-ISO performance than either my 30D or 40D - so I would expect that your 24-105mm could be your main lens. Perhaps a 40mm f/1.4 might come in handy.

I always carried a flash - usually the little 270EX on which I used a Joe Demb Mini-Flip-it (I think he calls that one the "photojournalist" now). I used the 270ex basically as fill light when I was shooting in low light situations (see butcher image).

The 70-200mm came in very handy when I wanted to shoot portraits of people without getting their attention.

IMO, China is one of the safest venues in which I have ever traveled. Violent crime (especially against foreign visitors) is virtually unknown. I did however, take reasonable precautions against theft by not flashing wads of money or leaving my camera gear unattended. Virtually everyone in Shanghai has a camera around his neck and high quality cameras are quite common.

Eyewitness Travel has a good guide to Beijing (and I believe they have ones for other cities... See them on amazon.com

Must see:
Beijing area:
Great wall
Summer Palace
Temple of Heavenly Peace Park
Tienanmen Square and the Forbidden City
Hutongs
The people are wonderfully colorful and very willing to be photographed.
Hong Kong:
View from Victoria Peak day and night (hope for good weather)
Star Ferry trip to Kowloon
Stanley Market
Wonderful street scenes all over the place
Aberdeen and the Jumbo Floating Restaurant

If you can possibly do it, Xi'an, the home, of the wonderful Terracotta warriors and the beautiful Li River between Yangshuo and Guilin are great places.

See my China and Hong Kong images at:
http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Scroll down for my China galleries...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,211 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 26, 2010 00:24 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #30

Weather in H.K. can be getting pretty nasty this time of year as the typhoons start rolling in. I had some pretty rough weather in early April and it was only going to get worse. There was no daytime view from Victoria Peak as indicated by this image...

I don't remember if I mentioned the Hong Kong Laser Show from Kowloon Peninsula's Star Ferry Landing. A tripod would be great but, you have to get there early because there are crowds. I shot this one hand held by jacking the ISO up and using the IS capability of the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens.

BTW: If you go from Mainland China to Hong Kong and wish to return to the Mainland, you need a two visit visa for China. Although H.K. is now controlled by China, it is treated as a foreign country regarding passports and visas.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Selection for Beijing/Hong Kong Trip
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.