Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Sep 2009 (Wednesday) 22:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F-Stop Tilopa Review

blackzzz
283 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 08, 2010 05:47 |  #91

Just got the foliage green the other day...love the color. Wish there was a write-up somewhere that explains what all the buckles, straps, etc. were designed to do .

Canon 7D * Canon 7D Mark II * Canon 50D * Canon 40D * Canon 20D * Canon S95 * EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM * EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM * EF 100-400L f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

sponsored links
keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 08, 2010 14:50 |  #92

blackzzz wrote in post #10143170 (external link)
Just got the foliage green the other day...love the color. Wish there was a write-up somewhere that explains what all the buckles, straps, etc. were designed to do .

Which straps/buckles are you confused with? The only one I had an issue with was the one inside the bag beside the keychain holder. I think it's for holding something like a small flashlight or pen.

My flickr (external link)
My Gear

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

May 08, 2010 21:32 |  #93

blackzzz wrote in post #10143170 (external link)

I 'll take the time to do that now. I will admit our media on 'how to' is not where it should be...

Starting from the sides. You have 2 compressions straps on both sides. They are designed to compress the bag and keep the inside contents firmly in place. For example if you dont have a lap top, the bag will fit a little looser, these straps allow you to reduce that.

The back 2 straps are for mounting a snowboard. I realize not all folks snowboard but that is the root of the straps on the back.

With both the compression straps and snowboard straps do not feel limited to use it for what I said above, they can be used for any thing. For instance last week i used the snowboard straps to carry my thermarest, ice axe and at times trekking poles. Sometime my coffee cup hangs of one or my splitboard is mounted to the sides... Some times I have 2 light stands on the sides and a tripod down the back...

As for the Molle (3 straps on side and 2 on the bottom), Molle is a system that is heavily used in the military, many other companies use this system and as a result there are over 10,000 different accessory pouches/cases/add ons you can find to allow your bag to carry more gear.

Molle opens up a huge range of goodies rather than forcing you to be exclusive to our brands accessory system. The next generation Tilopa is designed so the Molle takes Think Tank add-ons which will allow you more possibilities.

i think thats about it...

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com (external link) or visit www.fstopgear.com (external link)

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

May 08, 2010 21:40 |  #94

Also for anyone the does a lot of hiking, I strongly recommend throwing a couple of these things in your bag http://www.rei.com/pro​duct/720805 (external link) the ones I use are generic and only 2 bucks a piece. But they are very useful.

I also pack a few of these http://www.voile-usa.com …_Code=VTA&Produ​ct_Count=0 (external link) they are thee rubber accessory strap.

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com (external link) or visit www.fstopgear.com (external link)

blackzzz
283 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 09, 2010 01:43 |  #95

Fstop-Ian wrote in post #10146634 (external link)
I 'll take the time to do that now. I will admit our media on 'how to' is not where it should be...

Starting from the sides. You have 2 compressions straps on both sides. They are designed to compress the bag and keep the inside contents firmly in place. For example if you dont have a lap top, the bag will fit a little looser, these straps allow you to reduce that.

The back 2 straps are for mounting a snowboard. I realize not all folks snowboard but that is the root of the straps on the back.

With both the compression straps and snowboard straps do not feel limited to use it for what I said above, they can be used for any thing. For instance last week i used the snowboard straps to carry my thermarest, ice axe and at times trekking poles. Sometime my coffee cup hangs of one or my splitboard is mounted to the sides... Some times I have 2 light stands on the sides and a tripod down the back...

As for the Molle (3 straps on side and 2 on the bottom), Molle is a system that is heavily used in the military, many other companies use this system and as a result there are over 10,000 different accessory pouches/cases/add ons you can find to allow your bag to carry more gear.

Molle opens up a huge range of goodies rather than forcing you to be exclusive to our brands accessory system. The next generation Tilopa is designed so the Molle takes Think Tank add-ons which will allow you more possibilities.

Thanks, Ian. As always...F-Stop customer care is top notch.

Canon 7D * Canon 7D Mark II * Canon 50D * Canon 40D * Canon 20D * Canon S95 * EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM * EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM * EF 100-400L f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 09, 2010 09:33 |  #96

Fstop-Ian wrote in post #10146634 (external link)

Arghh.

Is that something we can send a current Tilopa in for retrofit or are we just S.O.L?

This would perfect for me. My belt system is TT.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

May 09, 2010 21:55 |  #97

JohnJ80 wrote in post #10148508 (external link)
Arghh.

Is that something we can send a current Tilopa in for retrofit or are we just S.O.L?

This would perfect for me. My belt system is TT.

J.

Hey John, yes SOL haha,:) actually from I understand you can squeeze the TT gear in there now. have you tried? We have one of team guys that does this.

We just altered it a little to make it a cleaner fit.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 10, 2010 09:55 |  #98

I briefly tried it and it wasn't a clean fit. I'll try again with this in mine. <sniff, sniff>

J

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

azncarbos
513 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 10, 2010 10:10 |  #99

So over the weekend.. I took the Tilopa (for the first time on hike) to Yosemite and I must say it was comfortable to carry on all my gear on hike like Upper Yosemite Fall tail, Nevada Fall Tail, and walking around the valley floor. It provide the awesome protection against all the elements like rain, snow, hail, and water from the falls. Also enough room for my waterproof jacket, water filter system, and snack ....this is probably best backpack I use to carry my photography gear! I had 2 bodies, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 100mm, 12-24mm, flash, tripod.

Peter Pham
P.Pham Photography
http://www.pphamphotog​raphy.com (external link)
Instagram
https://www.instagram.​com/outdoorpete/ (external link)

SkullE
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2009

May 11, 2010 11:19 |  #100

Your customer service that i see on these boards is probably the #2 reason i purchased it. #1 being the hiking bag itself.
thank you.

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

May 11, 2010 20:56 |  #101

Thanks! for the good words azncarbos and SkullE :)

It is good to see people seeing the benefits of our product... and gospel. I've been a firm believer that our bags really do make a day taking photos that much more enjoyable.

azncarbos
513 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 11, 2010 21:01 |  #102

No worry man!! I also got great comments from other photographer about the backpack over the weekend...

Peter Pham
P.Pham Photography
Instagram

gisk
177 posts
Joined May 2009

May 26, 2010 22:03 |  #103

Can anyone comment on the bag's breathability? I'm trying to decide between the Tilopa and the Kata BB 222. The 222 has a raised mesh design so that the bag never touches your back, just the mesh does, so I'm guessing this would help with sweat. The main reason I'm looking for a backpack is to carry my stuff while biking, so sweat is a huge issue for me. Since the Tilopa is designed with sports/hiking in mind, is it safe to assume my back will stay relatively dry and cool?

Gear | Blog (external link)

keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 27, 2010 17:03 |  #104

gisk wrote in post #10252947 (external link)
Can anyone comment on the bag's breathability? I'm trying to decide between the Tilopa and the Kata BB 222. The 222 has a raised mesh design so that the bag never touches your back, just the mesh does, so I'm guessing this would help with sweat. The main reason I'm looking for a backpack is to carry my stuff while biking, so sweat is a huge issue for me. Since the Tilopa is designed with sports/hiking in mind, is it safe to assume my back will stay relatively dry and cool?

I am not familiar with the Kata, but on the Tilopa the back padding as quoted from their website "Replaced thermal molded foam for high density foam with moisture wicking top layer.". I believe that the thermal molded foam was on the 1st generation Tilopa, while the mesh type is on the 2nd generation.

A few weeks ago, I went for a very light hike. It was warm outside, and I was very comfortable carrying the Tilopa. Both the bag felt good, and there was no issues with moisture. I'll find out how well it handles this summer, when I do more "serious" hikes.

My flickr (external link)
My Gear

azncarbos
513 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 27, 2010 18:29 |  #105

When I was in Yosemite, doing Upper Fall and Nevada Fall hike... the back was conformable, but my back was cover in swear.....

Peter Pham
P.Pham Photography
Instagram

sponsored links

39,339 views & 0 likes for this thread
F-Stop Tilopa Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.