Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2010 (Wednesday) 05:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

*REVIEW* Think Tank Retrospective 20

D-Lux
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2010

May 27, 2010 15:36 as a reply to  @ post 10255276 |  #91

Does anybody know if a 13' MacBook Pro could fit in either the 20 or 30 somehow??

Thanks!

sponsored links
gotglade
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 27, 2010 16:11 |  #92

efelveh wrote in post #10254038 (external link)
Hello, I'm new here, I discovered this bag's existence yesterday, and would like to know what are the measurements of the front pocket on the R20 (or R10 as well), I intend to put a document folder in there for papers (21x29.7 cm actually).
Do you think it would fit ?

Looks like it'd be a little wide for the front pocket which measures roughly 10.5" x 10.5" (26.67cm x 26.67cm) on the R20.
The front accesorries pocket is a little bigger, though, so you might be able to squeeze it in there.

riyazi wrote in post #10254038 (external link)
Too bad its not available in the UK till end June. Looks like exactly what I have been looking for.

This guy got one in the UK:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=vvvinCPYh28 (external link)
You could ask him.

D-Lux wrote in post #10254038 (external link)
Does anybody know if a 13' MacBook Pro could fit in either the 20 or 30 somehow??

Here are the ID measurements of the R30 from Think Tank: 15” W x 9.5” H x 6” D
The 13" macbook measures 13" W x 9.12" H, so it would fit, but then you wouldn't be able to put any dividers in the bag for your camera gear. I'm not sure what the measurements on the rear zip pocket (against your body) are, so I guess it might be able to fit in there. Anyone know these measurements?

You could also stick it vertically in the rear zip pocket of the R20, but a good 1.5" would be sticking out the top.

Glade

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2010 16:53 |  #93

Just got my R30, you would not be able (nor would you want) to put a 13" MacBook in the rear zip pocket. Maybe in the organizer pocket inside the bag itself. A MacBook Air might fit better. I'll try with my 13" MacBook tonight and post results.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 27, 2010 18:28 |  #94

It might be possible with a Retrospective-30 to exchange the TT dividers for a modular insert such as the Tenba Insert and then put a 13" Macbook or Air in the main compartment with the insert containing your camera gear. I don't have the ID of the R-30 front pocket to know if it would fit in there. Unfortunately the outside front pocket(s) of the R-30 are configured as 2 separate pockets eliminating that possibility for a Macbook.

I don't think the R-10 or R-20 are wide enough for the Tenba or the Macbook.

This is where the UD-35 shines, but you have to deal with the zippered slit-top opening.

-howard

Furry77
26 posts
Joined May 2010

May 27, 2010 23:56 |  #95

Just ordered the Retro20 and hope it's not too big for me. Even though i don't have a 70-200 lens, hope i made the right choice instead of the Retro10. Time to sell the Classified 160AW!

riyazi
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 28, 2010 03:58 |  #96

gotglade wrote in post #10257432 (external link)
This guy got one in the UK:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=vvvinCPYh28 (external link)
You could ask him.

That guy does a lot of reviews of equipment over at DPS and actually has listed ThinkTankPhoto as one of his companies in his youtube profile! :eek: So he might have got it early especially to do the review.

No harm in asking him though - thanks for the tip!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

dandig
346 posts
Joined May 2006

May 28, 2010 04:06 as a reply to  @ riyazi's post |  #97

I believe he works directly for TT as their social networking guru or something... in charge of their facebook page etc

DanCarrPhotography.com (external link)
ShutterMuse.com (external link)
My crazy gear guide! (external link)

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 28, 2010 10:26 |  #98

I see that Adorama has listed the entire Retrospective lineup on eBay today with free shipping. If Bing Cashback is active, it may be a way to save a few $$$ on a new bag...

-howard

bangarang
539 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 30, 2010 05:24 |  #99

I have two gripped 7Ds and plan on having all of my zeiss primes as well as my 70-200 with me. With the R10, can I carry a gripped 7D in the front pocket with a gripped 7D in the main with lens attached? I have a UD60 and am thinking I want the R20, but I'm looking for a lighter, "disneyland" or vacation bag. Of course I would travel light with just one gripped body, zeiss 35, 11-16 tokina, and probably either zeiss 100 or 70-200 for vacation settings but I'd like to have the flexibility to load up as well :D.

Thoughts?

RED Epic-W 8K + Canon Cinema EOS 1DC

xenomorphic
"at least there are images..."
176 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 30, 2010 10:51 |  #100

Thanks for taking the time to write a great review.

James

Reviews:
ThinkTank Pro Speed Belt and Modular set
ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60

Gear list

gotglade
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 30, 2010 15:59 |  #101

bangarang wrote in post #10270170 (external link)
I have two gripped 7Ds and plan on having all of my zeiss primes as well as my 70-200 with me. With the R10, can I carry a gripped 7D in the front pocket with a gripped 7D in the main with lens attached? I have a UD60 and am thinking I want the R20, but I'm looking for a lighter, "disneyland" or vacation bag. Of course I would travel light with just one gripped body, zeiss 35, 11-16 tokina, and probably either zeiss 100 or 70-200 for vacation settings but I'd like to have the flexibility to load up as well :D.

Thoughts?

The TT website says the R10 will fit a pro sized (read: 7D w/grip) dslr in the front pocket without a lens attached of course. Just from looking at pics of the R10 it looks like you'll have another couple of inches to play with in either direction. Putting the 7D in the front pocket is going to add some bulk to your bag, though.

As for what you want to carry, and someone (Ben? Jannie?) correct me if I'm wrong, but a pro body + 70-200 will end up sticking out of the R10 a little on the top and so the flap won't completely close.
The R10 & R20 share the same width and depth dimensions but the R20 has an added 2" of height and so can easily fit this combo. You also get more room for stacking lenses or other things. For example, in one partition of my R20, I can fit my 24-70L, 100 macro (non-L) and 16-35L sideways and one on top of the other (the Ls have their hoods on and reversed). Now, I wouldn't really ever need to do this, but it's nice to know I can.

So, if you don't mind the bag being 2" taller, and you want a whole lot of flexibility, I would lean towards the 20. But obviously, I'm just a little biased. :)

xenomorphic wrote in post #10271076 (external link)
Thanks for taking the time to write a great review.

You're welcome and thank YOU!

Glade

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 30, 2010 19:23 as a reply to  @ gotglade's post |  #102

bangarang wrote in post #10270170 (external link)

Thoughts?

will that fit? Yes. But why anyone would want to keep a camera in the front outer pocket is beyond me. That seams to be a worst case scenario more than something I'd do day to day really.

but here's the deal, there are three main compartments to the retro 10 on the bottom. Put the spare body in one (INSIDE the main compartment), put the camera WITH a lens in the middle, then on the other side you can EASILY fit two lenses (I've got my 24G and 12-24mm on the side in mine, both very thick/wide lenses). If they're short you can stack lenses over there as well. And if you NEEDED to bring another lens with you every once in a while, you can bring it in a modular side pocket. Don't forget those loops because they REALLY open up the options with the retros. You can DOUBLE the capacity with a pair of larger modulars if you needed to.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 31, 2010 08:54 |  #103

Ben thanks!
Appreciate your reviews; I'm watching this one.
Your 20 bag sounds really good to me.

Dave

mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 31, 2010 12:05 |  #104

D-Lux wrote in post #10257287 (external link)

Thanks!

I was able to get an older White 13" MacBook into the inside organizer pocket on my R30 and was able to get the velcro strap over it. A 13" MBP should fit without issue.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 31, 2010 13:08 |  #105

mitch2k1 wrote in post #10276297 (external link)
I was able to get an older White 13" MacBook into the inside organizer pocket on my R30 and was able to get the velcro strap over it. A 13" MBP should fit without issue.

How much risk do you think there is in putting a Unibody (aluminum) MacBook Air in there without incurring dents from the camera gear due to handling and bumps encountered in normal use?

-howard

sponsored links

231,487 views & 1 like for this thread
*REVIEW* Think Tank Retrospective 20
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.