Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 May 2010 (Tuesday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My DIY "Megabond" portable power station

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 25, 2010 19:34 as a reply to  @ post 10245676 |  #16

With 125Ah available, you should install a couple of electric motors and let it drive itself around.

Dave F.

sponsored links
Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 25, 2010 19:42 |  #17

tetrode wrote in post #10245780 (external link)
With 125Ah available, you should install a couple of electric motors and let it drive itself around.

Dave F.

Nice! now we're talking. Subscribed :D

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

alexanderGARDNER
Goldmember
3,540 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 25, 2010 20:44 |  #18

MinGrey02Stg2 wrote in post #10245556 (external link)
Yeah the only thing I really worry about is dirt and little things getting through the fan hole. I won't be using my strobes in the rain so this thing probably won't see it either.

Then you'd have to add filters and what not. If it isn't in the rain, no worries. Love your work!

ALEXANDER GARDNER
PHOTOGRAPHER - MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

alexanderGARDNER Blog! (external link)
alexanderGARDNER Photography FB Fanpage (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,235 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 26, 2010 01:24 |  #19

Does the "power jack" inverter have chassis ground?

Are you connecting battery ground to chassis ground?

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | TT685
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

MinGrey02Stg2
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 26, 2010 10:50 |  #20

AlanU wrote in post #10247450 (external link)
Does the "power jack" inverter have chassis ground?

Are you connecting battery ground to chassis ground?

The inverter has positive, negative, and ground terminals. The ground terminal will be used with a grounding spike.

FLiPMaRC
967 posts
Joined May 2006

May 26, 2010 12:35 |  #21

:cool: Wow! Great work!

Gear List

lukeap69
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined May 2008

May 26, 2010 14:19 |  #22

this is what i call a 'power plant' :)

Arnold
Speedlite / Speedlight / Sunpak 120J Beauty Dish Rig (external link)
Gear
my Google+ Profile (external link)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 29, 2010 03:23 |  #23

I really want to pull the trigger on this, but the form factor and weight makes this out of the question for accessing a remote shoot location (think a beach/sand) or hilly area. the vagabond II is 20lbs, which is a lot of weight when walking from A to B, but not 40-60.

I'm not knocking your setup, as it is very cool. i'm at this phase where i either pull the trigger on a vagabond or build my own.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

cvt01
466 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 29, 2010 13:23 |  #24

Great work!!!
Whenever I see something like this I always wonder why everybody is using lead-acid batteries instead of lithium-polymers??? Much bigger power density, could be as much as 50% (maybe 70%) lighter for the same power...

Peter
flickr (external link)
1Ds I, 1Ds II, Rokinon 14, Canon 135L,
Sony A7, Zeiss 35 1.4 ZA, Minolta MD 35 f2.8, Konica 40 f1.8, Konica 50 f1.7, Voigtlander Nokton 50 f1.1, Takumar 55 f1.8, Helios 44-2, Minolta MD 135 f3.5

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 29, 2010 13:37 |  #25

cvt01 wrote in post #10267455 (external link)
Great work!!!
Whenever I see something like this I always wonder why everybody is using lead-acid batteries instead of lithium-polymers??? Much bigger power density, could be as much as 50% (maybe 70%) lighter for the same power...

My guess is price, most lithium polymer batteries are a tad more expensive (at least in my neck of the woods) than lead acid batteries :)..

But I would call this project the Mega-hobo because it goes far beyond the vagabond :D

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 29, 2010 14:00 |  #26

Great project!

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

MinGrey02Stg2
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 29, 2010 19:07 |  #27

Lithium batteries aren't ideal because thry don't have a great ability to provide a huge surge of power. They're more suited to a constant, low draw output. Flash units pull quite heavy loads when they recycle, making lead acid batteries a better choice. There are certain lithium batteries out there that can do it, but they're very pricey and lose their charge over time much faster than lead acid ones.

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 30, 2010 11:13 as a reply to  @ MinGrey02Stg2's post |  #28

Lipo batteries need special care in the charging and discharging. They require special chargers and each cell must remain balanced. If they are over charged or discharged to far they may never be recoverable. Here is a sample (external link) my brother did with a puffed 5000mah 11.1 volt 3 cell pack rapidly charging.

They have an extremely high discharge rate and I feel they would work well for certain tasks. However, users must be educated in their proper use. I personally know of a few people that have burnt rooms, or their entire homes while charging Lipo's unattended. They've also been know for igniting in hot vehicles too. Fireproof containers should be used while charging or in transport.

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 30, 2010 12:35 |  #29

MinGrey02Stg2 wrote in post #10268641 (external link)
They're more suited to a constant, low draw output. Flash units pull quite heavy loads when they recycle, making lead acid batteries a better choice.

I would disagree, 10 cell 5500 MAH batteries can be drained in less than 10 minutes with a 18lb RC helicopter (external link). High power constant drain and provide virtually no drop off in power until their cutoff voltage. The battery powers not only the motor but all electronics.

Lipo batteries would be better suited for portable packs to power the smaller flashes or even camera bodies because of their power to weight ratio. I've got a junk grip for my old XT that I'm going to test a 2350 mah Lipo in to check the number of exposures before recharges.

Lead acid batteries are much safer. Deep Cycle Marine will work, Gel or AGM would be better suited because they're sealed where most deep cycle need to be ventilated. Gel cell can have a hole shot all the way through it and they will not leak.

With a charge controller (external link) you can maintain a peak charge either at home, in your car or with a solar panel.

Last year I built a small power setup for charging batteries and to run an ASUS mini laptop and video receiver. (it left with a project). The 18ah battery (external link) would drain in about 20 minutes just with this little amount of power needed (about 5 watts)... But when a simple 25 watt solar panel (external link) was attached I could run as many things as I wanted all day long in direct sunlight. It also had an inverter and was about 1/4 the size as this platform, and cost around $450. The only thing I'd change is battery size. 18ah battery was used because of the weight restriction of the project.

I like what you've done, great project. Do you plan on using it for anything other than lights? Will it get daily or weekly use?

MinGrey02Stg2
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 30, 2010 21:20 |  #30

TroyRaymond wrote in post #10271493 (external link)
I would disagree, 10 cell 5500 MAH batteries can be drained in less than 10 minutes with a 18lb RC helicopter (external link). High power constant drain and provide virtually no drop off in power until their cutoff voltage. The battery powers not only the motor but all electronics.

I like what you've done, great project. Do you plan on using it for anything other than lights? Will it get daily or weekly use?

I understand they may have a decent discharge rate, but what about their surge rate? The battery pack for your heli uses probably around 16 to 20g wire and is plenty for the current that the servos/motor pull. I'd bet it doesn't have the surge power to start a small motorcycle engine, though. It would take a hell of a lipo pack to deliver 875 amps for 30 seconds like the lead acid battery in my setup is capable of. I would much rather run lipo packs if they were ideal because their weight would be such a help, but it would hurt the bank to see strobes fry them because their short surges.

sponsored links

11,829 views & 0 likes for this thread
My DIY "Megabond" portable power station
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.