Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 May 2010 (Sunday) 21:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kind of lost and looking to buy a lighting kit

hughesbryant
156 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2010 21:49 |  #1

Hey, so i've posted in this sub-forum before, but then got sidetracked for a year or so and never bought my strobes. I am a professional ski photographer, but I want to get into some studio work, but also be able to bring this equipment into the field.

I have a bit over 1k to spend on lights, maybe more if it's really going to be beneficial. I'm not sure if I want 1 or 2 lights. 2 would be nicer, although if I bought 1, i could get one super nice strobe. Along with this, I want a large softbox an umbrella, but I can handle choosing those.

I was originally looking at the broncolor strobe on adorama that was $950, seems like it'd be a great choice if I got one. Any other suggestions? Do I want two and get like 2 elinchroms?

Also, I would need a remote trigger if i wanted it done remotely... does it come with syncing cables for studio work? Would I want AC or DC strobe heads? What powers these... (I see some people drop like 5k for big power boxes... some that have a box hanging from the head?) what would I need to power these?

Basically, I need a recommendation on my choice in purchase, along with a list of all the accessories I'd need to have it work with my mk3.

Thanks a ton!

sponsored links
Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2010 22:05 |  #2

How about Alienbees or a couple of 580EXIIs?

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

hughesbryant
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2010 22:08 as a reply to  @ Sports_Dude's post |  #3

I've heard good things about alienbees, but they aren't sold on adorama.. i buy everything from there. And I'd prefer to have a more durable and well known brand name. And the 580's, I'd prefer actual strobes.

jchargu3
102 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 30, 2010 22:19 |  #4

I'd highly recommend "expanding your expenditure"... Buying it all in one place doesnt make it "right"

Alienbees is VERY good stuff, VERY well tested and abused and holds up.
They aren't "cheap" they are inexpensive, there IS a huge difference/

40D & BGE2N | a variety of Lenses | 5 430exII's | Sold the 5d :( Regretting it

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 30, 2010 22:29 |  #5

hughesbryant wrote in post #10273889 (external link)
I've heard good things about alienbees, but they aren't sold on adorama.. i buy everything from there. And I'd prefer to have a more durable and well known brand name. And the 580's, I'd prefer actual strobes.

Alien bees are sold factory direct. Absolutely great people to deal with. I understand your loyalty to adorama, but you would be passing on a quality product for a great price is you passed on them because of a loyalty to a store. The bees are perfect for your applications as they do well in the studio but with the lexan case they are light and durable for location shooting and the the alien bee vagabond II is the most widely used portable power supply.

Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2010 22:39 |  #6

hughesbryant wrote in post #10273889 (external link)

Well, I've never heard of "broncolor strobe" while browsing these threads here on the canon forums. When discussions come up regarding strobes, I typically see Alienbees, Calumet Genesis, White Lightning, etc....

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

hughesbryant
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2010 22:55 as a reply to  @ Sports_Dude's post |  #7

Okay thanks for all of your opinions. I only mentioned Broncolor as I've done some studio work in New York City under the insight of Vincent LaForet with Stockland Martel... and they were the only lights they were using.

I'll look into the alienbees, and any answers regarding my other questions about power etc?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 30, 2010 22:58 |  #8

hughesbryant wrote in post #10274057 (external link)
Okay thanks for all of your opinions. I only mentioned Broncolor as I've done some studio work in New York City under the insight of Vincent LaForet with Stockland Martel... and they were the only lights they were using.

I'll look into the alienbees, and any answers regarding my other questions about power etc?

alien bees vagabond, even elinchrome users use them. Broncolor are great lights, but not generally the most portable solution. You probably want monolights instead of a pack and head system.

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 30, 2010 23:02 |  #9

Check out the Elinchrom lineup, Bryant. I highly recommend the BXRi and RX units. You can also do a little search here to see what others have said about them.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …2|0&ci=14356&N=​4291081789 (external link)

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

hughesbryant
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2010 23:02 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #10274073 (external link)
alien bees vagabond, even elinchrome users use them. Broncolor are great lights, but not generally the most portable solution. You probably want monolights instead of a pack and head system.

I'm not too worried about set-up times and portability, if it requires 30 minutes to set up for the better quality, I'm fine with that. Is it going to be more expensive?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 30, 2010 23:08 |  #11

No, shouldnt be. Do you know the difference between monolights and pack and head systems? Monolights each have their own power regulating system so each is independent of the other lights. You can add as many as you like and make them sync together. Pack and head systems have a central power distribution box and a cord going to each head. Obviously in location shoot you have to have either attached to an electrical source like the vagabond battery. You would need to see if there are portable power systems that support the pack and head power requirements.

hughesbryant
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 30, 2010 23:14 |  #12

gonzogolf wrote in post #10274110 (external link)
No, shouldnt be. Do you know the difference between monolights and pack and head systems? Monolights each have their own power regulating system so each is independent of the other lights. You can add as many as you like and make them sync together. Pack and head systems have a central power distribution box and a cord going to each head. Obviously in location shoot you have to have either attached to an electrical source like the vagabond battery. You would need to see if there are portable power systems that support the pack and head power requirements.

See that was what I was concerned with as when I was working with BC's in the past, they were all hooked up to a box. Is one of these options more cost effective than the other? What is the benefit of having one central battery unit?

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 30, 2010 23:16 |  #13

Sorry, you said you like shopping from Adorama. Here's the link: http://www.adorama.com …p_sort_rating&S​ortOrder=0 (external link)

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 30, 2010 23:22 |  #14

hughesbryant wrote in post #10274134 (external link)
See that was what I was concerned with as when I was working with BC's in the past, they were all hooked up to a box. Is one of these options more cost effective than the other? What is the benefit of having one central battery unit?

First lets be clear. The BC's have a power distribution box, it would still need a separate power supply. Monolights dont need that box, but again there is the need for a power supply like the vagabond battery. At $300 each the benefit of connecting them with a simple power cord is better than one battery per light which can get pricey.

sponsored links

1,789 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kind of lost and looking to buy a lighting kit
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.