Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 28 May 2010 (Friday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

if canon made a 16mm prime...

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 30, 2010 19:49 |  #16

MMX wrote in post #10272962 (external link)
Do you know when is photography most enjoyable? When you stop talking, take your camera, go outside and start taking photos. And if you realize that a part of your gear hampers you somehow, then you can return back and say what should be improved.

So is it more enjoyable to come on the forum and make sure nobody asks for lenses that don't exist? And what makes you think that people are not doing what you said. They go shoot and think, man I really wish I had, for example, a 16mm prime lens today. Or, "You know what would be cool? If the 135L have IS and an extra 1/3 a stop of light."

Besides, what is this forum for if not to share your thoughts? Even if they sound ridiculous to realists like yourself. I don't think someone wanting a 16mm prime does anything to hamper your photography experience, so why the need to pounce?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links
badgerW
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 30, 2010 23:45 |  #17

MMX wrote in post #10272962 (external link)
And if you realize that a part of your gear hampers you somehow, then you can return back and say what should be improved.

Which is exactly what this thread is about. A couple of us have zoom lenses that, based on our real-world experience taking photos with those lenses, we find that we mostly keep at the widest end of the zoom range. We think, on a cost-even basis, that we'd prefer the same lens, with the zoom removed, with better image quality and (in my case, at least) possibly an extra stop of light. We're not whining, we're not demanding that Canon cater to our every whim -- we're just speculating on what should be possible given the real-world constraints of budget and design, and stating that we would prefer different lenses than the ones currently on offer. Yes, this removes us one step from the actual taking of photos. But look a little further -- what does it say about you that you have the time to come here and complain about us complaining about our equipment? You're actually TWICE removed from the taking of photos.

You're not going to ingratiate yourself with anybody or find many people willing to put up with a bunch of pissy nonsense. These forums exist for DISCUSSION. By talking about photography, we can improve our ability to take good photos. I can't begin to say how many things I've learned from the discussions here at POTN -- things that might have taken me years of trial-and-error to learn on my own. There are areas of these forums dedicated specifically to photos, and there are equipment-speculative areas such as this one. If you don't like it, you're welcome to go spend your time somewhere else. Or, better yet, take your own advice and go out and take some photos.

Gear

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

May 31, 2010 00:04 |  #18

kaitanium wrote in post #10261509 (external link)
i would get the 14mm out right now but i dont like its bubble front element.

I bought the 14mm L with the bubble front element and I don't find the bubble shape to be a problem at all and it is an amazing lens. I bought it mainly for my teenage son who likes wide angle lenses for real estate interior shots and for his creative car and architectural stuff. It comes with a built in lens hood that protects it and we haven't managed to damage it yet!

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

MMX
418 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 31, 2010 06:53 |  #19

kaitanium wrote in post #10261509 (external link)
i would get the 14mm out right now but i dont like its bubble front element

suecassidy wrote in post #10274323 (external link)
I bought the 14mm L with the bubble front element and I don't find the bubble shape to be a problem at all and it is an amazing lens.

Yeah, that´s it. I couldn´t wish a better reply. That´s exactly what I said yesterday in other thread. The people who want it simply buy it and they´re satisfied. And the people who don´t want it will always find an excuse why it´s not worth buying, no matter how good it is. If it´s black, they want it to be white, if it´s white, they want it to be black, if it´s small, they want it to be big, it it´s big, they want it to be small, a neverending story...

PS: Have you people ever heard about "The Fox and the Grapes"?

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50 f/1.4, Sigma 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 OS, Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Manfrotto 055 XPROB + Manfrotto 322RC2, Manfrotto 679B + Manfrotto 234

MMX
418 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 31, 2010 07:25 |  #20

tkbslc wrote in post #10273249 (external link)
They go shoot and think, man I really wish I had, for example, a 16mm prime lens today. Or, "You know what would be cool? If the 135L have IS and an extra 1/3 a stop of light."

Sometimes I wish my lens was combined with the "fleshlight" but I never thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about. :-P

Once again: this section is not about dreams, wishes, suggestions or anything similar, this thread is about rumors and predictions. In other words about equipment that is likely to be produced in very near future, while the "messenger" is able to describe his source when asked.
And because I want to upgrade my equipment in future (the only reason why I haven´t upgraded it yet is money, I´m not waiting for any miracles and I´m sure I would be satisfied with what´s on the market right now), I like reading this kind of information because it helps me to decide what I might buy - if the information is based on truth. But if it´s not, then it´s what we (in IT) call "salt" or "noise" - nonsense or false data that only confuses people when looking at the whole field.
Let´s say I want to buy the 1Ds Mk. IV and I see 10 threads about this camera, while one contains some valuable information and the nine other threads are just nonsense/dreams. How can I identify the right one? I can´t. So instead of helping others by sharing useful and valuable information, you only confuse them.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50 f/1.4, Sigma 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 OS, Canon Speedlite 580EX II

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 02, 2010 19:34 as a reply to  @ MMX's post |  #21

badgerW wrote in post #10274254 (external link)
Which is exactly what this thread is about. A couple of us have zoom lenses that, based on our real-world experience taking photos with those lenses, we find that we mostly keep at the widest end of the zoom range. We think, on a cost-even basis, that we'd prefer the same lens, with the zoom removed, with better image quality and (in my case, at least) possibly an extra stop of light. We're not whining, we're not demanding that Canon cater to our every whim -- we're just speculating on what should be possible given the real-world constraints of budget and design, and stating that we would prefer different lenses than the ones currently on offer. Yes, this removes us one step from the actual taking of photos. But look a little further -- what does it say about you that you have the time to come here and complain about us complaining about our equipment? You're actually TWICE removed from the taking of photos.

You're not going to ingratiate yourself with anybody or find many people willing to put up with a bunch of pissy nonsense. These forums exist for DISCUSSION. By talking about photography, we can improve our ability to take good photos. I can't begin to say how many things I've learned from the discussions here at POTN -- things that might have taken me years of trial-and-error to learn on my own. There are areas of these forums dedicated specifically to photos, and there are equipment-speculative areas such as this one. If you don't like it, you're welcome to go spend your time somewhere else. Or, better yet, take your own advice and go out and take some photos.

couldnt have said it better myself badger as well as the others who responded! im gonna go rent that 14mm to try it out. it wont save me space in my bag over the 16-35 though which is still the reason i wish for a less wide range (would equate less glass, less cash, less space...just speaking logically).

mmx, you can go rat on all the other "wishlists" here in this forum. it will keep people like me at bay and where we belong. just search for "wish" and youll find many threads you can start with. last time i checked, you werent moderator...and my thread hasnt been moved or deleted. sounds to me like its fine for this forum section. but as with all threads here, its a discussion and your opinion, my opinion, all opinions are fair game. im not here to police what you can or cant say. discussions are two or more ways plus many integrated opinions...thats the beauty of discussions. but to be the one to shut down discussion? yikes...the world would be a tunnel visioned place.

my ultimate hope for this thread was fruitful discussion of a 16mm...is it possible? is it doable? speculations? and a host of other questions and would spark that discussion. if that wasnt clear from the get-go, my apologies but everyday is a new day to begin again. knowledge is what im seeking. knowledge from the pros who know how lenses are constructed or made or have more experience than me...its these opinions that i wish to base my wishlist and desire for a 16mm on. if its impossible, then right...ill just move on. ultimately i think that if canon never listened to their customers...they would be making a huge mistake. im not saying that a 16mm is a must make for canon, im just saying that they know the market vs profit and can make an informed decision with whatever they do.

i thought i said i wasnt gonna post...POTN is too addicting! such a great community. been such a helpful place to get me started when i was a dumb newbie asking dumb questions. where im at now, ill never forget where i started, and it was right here with the patient people of this community who helped answer my dumb questions to get me where im at today. and the only thing i can give back to this community is to offer my discussion and ideas and to patiently help those in need of help. cheers!!

MMX
418 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 02, 2010 19:44 |  #22

kaitanium wrote in post #10291774 (external link)
my ultimate hope for this thread was fruitful discussion of a 16mm...is it possible?

Depends how you define "fruitful" when talking about something that´s never gonna happen.

PS: In Greece the truth is currently being accepted with molotow cocktails and cobblestones but it still doesn´t make it untruth.

CanonGarcon
419 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 02, 2010 21:15 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

kaitanium wrote in post #10291774 (external link)
couldnt have said it better myself badger as well as the others who responded! im gonna go rent that 14mm to try it out. it wont save me space in my bag over the 16-35 though which is still the reason i wish for a less wide range (would equate less glass, less cash, less space...just speaking logically).

mmx, you can go rat on all the other "wishlists" here in this forum. it will keep people like me at bay and where we belong. just search for "wish" and youll find many threads you can start with. last time i checked, you werent moderator...and my thread hasnt been moved or deleted. sounds to me like its fine for this forum section. but as with all threads here, its a discussion and your opinion, my opinion, all opinions are fair game. im not here to police what you can or cant say. discussions are two or more ways plus many integrated opinions...thats the beauty of discussions. but to be the one to shut down discussion? yikes...the world would be a tunnel visioned place.

my ultimate hope for this thread was fruitful discussion of a 16mm...is it possible? is it doable? speculations? and a host of other questions and would spark that discussion. if that wasnt clear from the get-go, my apologies but everyday is a new day to begin again. knowledge is what im seeking. knowledge from the pros who know how lenses are constructed or made or have more experience than me...its these opinions that i wish to base my wishlist and desire for a 16mm on. if its impossible, then right...ill just move on. ultimately i think that if canon never listened to their customers...they would be making a huge mistake. im not saying that a 16mm is a must make for canon, im just saying that they know the market vs profit and can make an informed decision with whatever they do.

i thought i said i wasnt gonna post...POTN is too addicting! such a great community. been such a helpful place to get me started when i was a dumb newbie asking dumb questions. where im at now, ill never forget where i started, and it was right here with the patient people of this community who helped answer my dumb questions to get me where im at today. and the only thing i can give back to this community is to offer my discussion and ideas and to patiently help those in need of help. cheers!!

No, a 16mm prime is not doable when Canon has 14mm prime, a 15mm fisheye, and a 17mm TS/E lens. Get over it. Maybe I should start a thread about Canon should make a 19mm lens and if they don't, then I will hold my breath.

Poe
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 03, 2010 12:06 |  #24

I would like to see a Canon 10/15mm EF-S prime(s) to give a 16/24mm-on-APS effective field of view.

I doubt that Canon would make any new focal lengths in addition to the current 14, 15 FE, & 17 TS-E in this focal range, but I think the possibility is there (and IMO, greater) for the EF-S mount and it doesn't have to cost $2000 or beyond. Certainly it is possible to do something in EF mount but it's just something else Canon would have spend resources on and market and compete against already established products, which is likely not high on Canon's business priority list.

Nikon D750, D7200 | Nikon-Nikkor 14-24G, 60G Micro, 70-300E | SIGMA 35A, 105 OS, 24-105 OS | ZEISS Distagon 2.0/25 Classic, Apo-Distagon 1.4/55 Otus, Apo-Planar 1.4/85 Otus, Makro-Planar 2/100 Classic, Apo-Sonnar 2/135 Classic

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 03, 2010 14:06 |  #25

thanks poe for your response, i see youre in the "no" bandcamp but i would consider that fruitful insight! thanks for your insight. an ultra wide prime for the EF-S line would be good too and convenient since im considering supplementing my 5Ds with a 7D for its video capabilities.

yea the EF-S mount is a range that can be more developed. canon would have to add resources to develop something new for the EF line. sounds like a EF-s ultra wide prime (or any new EF-S lens) would sell more on the onset than a EF one would since there is less selection for the EF-S guys. but the 10-22 is very small already and a great lens, i had that when my 30D was still in its heyday. making a strictly 10mm lens sounds good (larger aperture perhaps, smaller size?) but i suppose wouldnt offer much more than a 10-22...well at least in terms of size and cost. doh.

Poe
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 03, 2010 17:37 |  #26

kaitanium wrote in post #10296568 (external link)
thanks poe for your response, i see youre in the "no" bandcamp but i would consider that fruitful insight! thanks for your insight. an ultra wide prime for the EF-S line would be good too and convenient since im considering supplementing my 5Ds with a 7D for its video capabilities.

yea the EF-S mount is a range that can be more developed. canon would have to add resources to develop something new for the EF line. sounds like a EF-s ultra wide prime (or any new EF-S lens) would sell more on the onset than a EF one would since there is less selection for the EF-S guys. but the 10-22 is very small already and a great lens, i had that when my 30D was still in its heyday. making a strictly 10mm lens sounds good (larger aperture perhaps, smaller size?) but i suppose wouldnt offer much more than a 10-22...well at least in terms of size and cost. doh.

I've been thinking about getting a Tokina 11-16 for my 7D. It will provide me the ultra-wide FOV that I no longer get with my 17-40 and a constant aperture. I do like that Canon goes to 10mm, but I'm not fond of the variable aperture. Sigma has the 10mm FE, but I think I would prefer a non-FE over a FE lens. I've read that the Canon 15 FE isn't too fishy on APS-C, but I question the durability and reliability of the body as it looks like a 50 1.8, which has a rather cheap feel, terrible manual focusing ring and rough sounding AF motor.

And since the XXD and XD APS-C bodies take EF-S mount and many pros and semi-pros use these bodies, it would be good to see additional lenses, especially primes, added to this mount. The emphasis on zooms make it seem like this is an amateur line of lenses when I don't think it has to be.

Nikon D750, D7200 | Nikon-Nikkor 14-24G, 60G Micro, 70-300E | SIGMA 35A, 105 OS, 24-105 OS | ZEISS Distagon 2.0/25 Classic, Apo-Distagon 1.4/55 Otus, Apo-Planar 1.4/85 Otus, Makro-Planar 2/100 Classic, Apo-Sonnar 2/135 Classic

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 03, 2010 18:02 |  #27

the 10-22 variable ap is indeed something to get used to but when shooting ultra wide, you can shoot in lower light conditions and still get a sharp photo since at that range, hand jitter is barely captured. that tokina is built like a tank and 2.8 is sweet. u wont miss that 1mm.

ive played with my friends 15mm FE before. i dont have long term experience with it but first impression were good in terms of build quality. def feels more solid than the 50mm 1.8. i cant speak for reliability though.

you are right on the zoom lenses for the EF-S line. most newbies want that crazy range in 1 lens while not realizing that quality usually suffers. lots of pros use aps-c bodies. i think canon might advertise it that way too which may attribute to that that feel.

cito17
724 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 03, 2010 18:55 |  #28

MMX wrote in post #10275233 (external link)
Once again: this section is not about dreams, wishes, suggestions or anything similar, this thread is about rumors and predictions.

Ok, then. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who said that Canon was working on an EF-s 17mm f/1.8!

-Adrian [ Flickr ] (external link)[ Tumblr. ] (external link)[Full Gear List]
[ EOS 5D III|EOS 30D|Canonet QL17 G-III|Olympus OM-1|Rolleiflex MX-EVS|Leica M2 ]

MMX
418 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 03, 2010 19:00 |  #29

I don´t know how you guys define a "pro" but when I meet some, they usually use 1D or 1Ds with L lenses (either zooms or primes). And even if they use a 40D or 50D as a backup camera, they still don´t give up the L lens quality.

cito17 wrote in post #10298217 (external link)
Ok, then. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who said that Canon was working on an EF-s 17mm f/1.8!

That sounds interesting... can you perform a "traceroute" to identify the original source? :-P

Poe
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 03, 2010 19:25 |  #30

MMX wrote in post #10298246 (external link)
I don´t know how you guys define a "pro" but when I meet some, they usually use 1D or 1Ds with L lenses (either zooms or primes). And even if they use a 40D or 50D as a backup camera, they still don´t give up the L lens quality.

I define a professional as someone who earns their living primarily through photography. Doesn't necessarily mean they make great photos, they just get paid for making photos.

sponsored links

6,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
if canon made a 16mm prime...
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.