Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 May 2010 (Tuesday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My DIY "Megabond" portable power station

43 ­ North
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 30, 2010 23:55 as a reply to  @ post 10273681 |  #31

OK so I have to post up my pictures of the same idea that I have been using for about a month.

IMAGE: http://www.43northphotography.com/pictures/fatmax1.jpg

Difference that I use is on the bottom compartment you can see my DIY power supply made from a computer backup power supply that produces a pure sine wave. On the left side of this picture you can see where I wired a plug in (also seen in picture 3). I can fit two B800s in the bottom compartment along with my reflector and the power supply. The second drawer contains all my cords, extension cords, light meter, wireless triggers, spare batteries, etc. etc. The top drawer (not pictured) holds my 7" reflectors, grids, and gels.

IMAGE: http://www.43northphotography.com/pictures/fatmax2.jpg

As you can see that I mounted a power outlet on the outside of the box with a flip lid cover. The strobes plug in here. You can see that the bottom power wire is what charges the battery pack inside. When I need to leave with it I just put that pigtale through the hole and go. On sight the box can be all closed up and just plug the strobes in the side. Does not weigh a whole lot either. Any comments welcome :)

IMAGE: http://www.43northphotography.com/pictures/fatmax3.jpg

MIKE - Flickr (external link)
7D Gripped ~ T2i Gripped ~ Canon 28-135mm ~ Canon 50mm 1.4 USM ~ Canon 24-70mm f2.8L ~ Canon 70-200mm f4L ~ Alien Bees B1600, B800x2, B400 ~ 580EX II ~ Event Trailer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
www.43northphotography​.com (external link)

sponsored links
TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2010 09:18 |  #32

MinGrey02Stg2 wrote in post #10273681 (external link)
I understand they may have a decent discharge rate, but what about their surge rate? The battery pack for your heli uses probably around 16 to 20g wire and is plenty for the current that the servos/motor pull. I'd bet it doesn't have the surge power to start a small motorcycle engine, though. It would take a hell of a lipo pack to deliver 875 amps for 30 seconds like the lead acid battery in my setup is capable of. I would much rather run lipo packs if they were ideal because their weight would be such a help, but it would hurt the bank to see strobes fry them because their short surges.

I stand corrected... I did a little research and found this.

For example, if you actually run any 5000mah lipo “pack” at 40C constant(200 amps) the following would happen even if the individual cells could handle the load:

Your entire run time would be less than 90 seconds.
You would melt the RC plug attached to the pack(Deans, Traxxas, Tamiya, etc).
The bullet connectors on a hard case pack would melt out of the casing.
Even 12awg noodle wire would get too hot to touch.

Stregone
232 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 04, 2010 00:10 |  #33

I'd say lipos would be perfect for something like this. With 125ah worth of them even at a modest 20C (for the cheaper ones) you are talking about 2500 amps continuously. Double that for a 30 sec burst. Newer lipo cells are rated at 40-60C.

it would be more complicated though, you would need the circuitry to keep the pack balanced and protect from over-discharging. That stuff is available for a DIYer or you can buy packs premade with all that built in.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
[Youpic] (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 04, 2010 09:00 |  #34

Interesting project. My only comments would be to further what the others have said on the importance of:
1. insulating the positive terminal on both the battery and at the inverter
2. I would not use that w/o a GFCI

Also, I'm not saying it is not "pure sine wave"....but are you really sure it is ? A lot of this stuff these days coming out of china is being labeled "pure sine wave" when in reality it's modified sine wave. Let's just say maybe they are losing something in the translation !
I mean....I don't where this one was made or where you sourced it from, but I can tell you there is a difference sometimes in how this stuff gets marketed when it's manufactured here in the USA vs some of what comes out of china.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,257 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 04, 2010 10:10 |  #35

george m w wrote in post #10301330 (external link)
Interesting project. My only comments would be to further what the others have said on the importance of:
1. insulating the positive terminal on both the battery and at the inverter
2. I would not use that w/o a GFCI

Also, I'm not saying it is not "pure sine wave"....but are you really sure it is ? A lot of this stuff these days coming out of china is being labeled "pure sine wave" when in reality it's modified sine wave. Let's just say maybe they are losing something in the translation !
I mean....I don't where this one was made or where you sourced it from, but I can tell you there is a difference sometimes in how this stuff gets marketed when it's manufactured here in the USA vs some of what comes out of china.

I've looked at the OSP video on youtube. The guy use a tecktronic scope and showed glitches on the sinewave. I dont think its a concern but its certainly not a "pure" sine wave.

A square wave is definitely a world apart from an analog sine. Hard to believe a china inverter would have lost translation in a "pure sine wave" inverter.

The sunforce 1000w unit looks promising but not sure of the signal output. Lotsa cheapy ones out there like powerjack and OSP. I just hope if there is failures that it simply dies and not destroys a strobe.

I am looking at Aims, Samlex and statpower/xantrex inverters for my diy.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | TT685
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 04, 2010 13:27 |  #36

I am looking at Aims, Samlex and statpower/xantrex inverters for my diy.

Alan,
Yes....I agree that Samlex would be a good way to go. I am not saying the original poster has made a "bad" choice....I'm just saying that there is usually a reason that some of this stuff is "lower priced".
And for sure...I'd hate to fry several hundred dollars worth of monolights just because I was trying to save some money on a DIY project. I'm not an EE.....but I know enough to, "know what I don't know".

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

cvt01
466 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 20, 2010 12:52 |  #37

TroyRaymond wrote in post #10275605 (external link)
I stand corrected... I did a little research and found this.

Your quote talks about a 5 Ah RC pack with two cells. You would have to connect 25 of those in parallel to have 125Ah. My two cell RC LiPo (60C) is around 250g in weight including hard case. I would say the 100 cells would weight around 5 kilos...

LiPo's are perfectly fine for this job save the price. The Chevrolet Volt is powered by a LiPo pack ;)

Peter
flickr (external link)
1Ds I, 1Ds II, Rokinon 14, Canon 135L,
Sony A7, Zeiss 35 1.4 ZA, Minolta MD 35 f2.8, Konica 40 f1.8, Konica 50 f1.7, Voigtlander Nokton 50 f1.1, Takumar 55 f1.8, Helios 44-2, Minolta MD 135 f3.5

robbscott
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 29, 2010 00:31 |  #38

Quick question relating to inverter. I am working on my own set-up with a car battery and 400 w PSW inverter. I hooked up my 640, 320 and 160 w/s lights and started getting a loud whistle sound. I unplugged all the lights and still get the loud whistle. Any idea what that may be?

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 29, 2010 05:34 |  #39

robbscott wrote in post #10622858 (external link)
Quick question relating to inverter. I am working on my own set-up with a car battery and 400 w PSW inverter. I hooked up my 640, 320 and 160 w/s lights and started getting a loud whistle sound. I unplugged all the lights and still get the loud whistle. Any idea what that may be?

I believe this was posted to another thread and gotten some responses. It's very hard to determine the cause or the exact nature of the problem but it would seem that you're overloading the inverter and trying to draw far more power than the inverter can deliver.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

MinGrey02Stg2
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 29, 2010 10:32 |  #40

robbscott wrote in post #10622858 (external link)

Does it only make the noise when all three lights are hooked up? If so, you're probably overloading the inverter. What battery are you using?

cvt01
466 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 12, 2010 15:53 as a reply to  @ MinGrey02Stg2's post |  #41

Seems like Paul Buff just figured out the LiPo:
http://www.alienbees.c​om/vmini.html (external link)

500 shots on one charge is good enough for me

Peter
flickr (external link)
1Ds I, 1Ds II, Rokinon 14, Canon 135L,
Sony A7, Zeiss 35 1.4 ZA, Minolta MD 35 f2.8, Konica 40 f1.8, Konica 50 f1.7, Voigtlander Nokton 50 f1.1, Takumar 55 f1.8, Helios 44-2, Minolta MD 135 f3.5

sponsored links

11,841 views & 0 likes for this thread
My DIY "Megabond" portable power station
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.