Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 May 2010 (Monday) 13:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IS not working?

damann
57 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 31, 2010 13:22 |  #1

Ok I have searched through many threads and have come to the conclusion that my Image Stabilizer has never worked since new.

I have a Canon XS with the 18-55mm IS kit lens. Before getting the camera I have always read about the "noise" IS makes. I have had my camera for about 4 months. Having fun taking pictures with it but I am about 95% sure the IS on my lens is not working. I have suspected this for a while now. First off it makes no noise, zero , ziltch, nada. When I half depress the shutter it does a focus and I can hear the focus motor. once focused is locked there is zero noise. nothing. I have sat in a quiet room and depressed the shutter and slightly moved the camera around, nothing. Turn IS switch on and off, same result.

So after searching on here about this issue I tried a few things that people have suggested. One was to turn on live view, hold the camera out and watch the screen and then half depress the shutter. Zero change on screen. Same with looking through view finder. Form what I can gather IS does nothing at all. Not to mention that I have tried some hand held shots at about 1/40 in a low light forest of still objects and it seems there can be some camera shake detected. I have tried with IS switch on and off and no change.

So i took off the lense and happened to look at the inner lens part that attaches to the camera and to my astonishment there is a huge black piece of something in the lens somewhere. It's not on the lens but IN the lens. The odd part is that it does not show up on pictures but it's there in the lens. I'm not talking a spec of dust either, almost like a sliver of plastic, odd that it can't be seen with pictures.

So what does one do? Do I have to contact Canon support and then mail it to them to be fixed? The store where I bought it from only accepts damaged goods for 30 days, after that I have to deal with the manufacturer. I simply can't believe i have never noticed this before. If indeed IS was not working from the get go then I will be pleased in an odd way, I have been getting some decent pics in lower light situations so it would be nice to see what the IS can add.

Thanks

Canon XS (1000D), Sigma 17-50 2.8 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, YongNuo YN-465, Yongnuo RF-602, Cameron fader ND filter

sponsored links
HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 31, 2010 13:29 |  #2

I know this isn't going to help much, but IS is silent on the 18-55 IS. Its operation is transparent on my 18-55, unlike on my 24-105 where the effect and sound are both very noticeable.

The only other functional test I would try would be something like this: shoot something at, say, 55 mm with a few different shutter speeds - say 1/60, 1/15, and 1/8. Take 5-10 exposures at each FL with IS on and IS off, and chart your blurriness. By the time you get to 1/8 the difference in results should be evident if IS is working...

nüborn
263 posts
Joined May 2010

May 31, 2010 13:32 |  #3

My 18-55 doesn't make much noise when the IS is in use however, it is pretty easy to see when is use: if the movement in the viewfinder becomes sluggish (like when you are drunk) when you half-press the shutter button, then the IS is working.

I would bring it back to the store to have a second opinion on it. Try to go during the week when it's pretty calm. Salespeople will not give a darn about you and your problems if you go during the weekend when there is plenty of sales for them to do but if you go in, and they are bored out of their mind, maybe they'll help?

My Gear : XSi, 10-22, 18-55 MkII, 55-250, YN-468

damann
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 31, 2010 13:34 |  #4

HeaTransfer wrote in post #10276696 (external link)
I know this isn't going to help much, but IS is silent on the 18-55 IS. Its operation is transparent on my 18-55, unlike on my 24-105 where the effect and sound are both very noticeable.

The only other functional test I would try would be something like this: shoot something at, say, 55 mm with a few different shutter speeds - say 1/60, 1/15, and 1/8. Take 5-10 exposures at each FL with IS on and IS off, and chart your blurriness. By the time you get to 1/8 the difference in results should be evident if IS is working...

OK thanks. So it is 100% silent? zero noise what so ever? I will do the test pics. Any specific aperature they should be taken at? As well, what is with the black sliver of plastic I see on the inside of the lens? I presume this should be sent in regardless?

Canon XS (1000D), Sigma 17-50 2.8 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, YongNuo YN-465, Yongnuo RF-602, Cameron fader ND filter

damann
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 31, 2010 13:36 |  #5

nüborn wrote in post #10276709 (external link)
My 18-55 doesn't make much noise when the IS is in use however, it is pretty easy to see when is use: if the movement in the viewfinder becomes sluggish (like when you are drunk) when you half-press the shutter button, then the IS is working.

I would bring it back to the store to have a second opinion on it. Try to go during the week when it's pretty calm. Salespeople will not give a darn about you and your problems if you go during the weekend when there is plenty of sales for them to do but if you go in, and they are bored out of their mind, maybe they'll help?

That's the thing, live view or anything in the viewfinder has 100% no change with IS on or off when the shutter his half pressed. It just seems non existant.

Good advice, i will take it to a camera shop and see what they say, i was just wondering if there was any difinitive test to do.

Thanks again.

HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 31, 2010 13:38 |  #6

I don't notice any noise on my 18-55. The experience of others may be different. The aperture shouldn't matter much aside from getting the proper exposure - you just want to get the shutter speed low enough to the point that IS will come into play (from my experience with FLs in that range, shutter speeds that start to approach 1/4-1/2sec will benefit from IS).

I can't help you with the black plastic bit and indeed you might have a problem... if you're really worried about it take it in. On the other hand, if IS works fine, this will save you the time and hassle.

Petri
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 31, 2010 14:02 |  #7

damann wrote in post #10276720 (external link)
OK thanks. So it is 100% silent? zero noise what so ever? I will do the test pics. Any specific aperature they should be taken at? As well, what is with the black sliver of plastic I see on the inside of the lens? I presume this should be sent in regardless?

You don't have to take test pics to test the IS. Just focus on something at 55mmm, keep the shutter button half-pressed and move the camera up/down/left/right while looking through the viewfinder. Then do the same with IS switched off. You should notice a difference. When the IS is engaged, the viewfinder view movement is soft, slowish and sluggish, a bit like slow-motion. When the IS is off, the movement is much sharper and faster. The difference is not night-and-day on a wide-angle zoom but you should be able to see it clearly.

damann
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 31, 2010 14:31 |  #8

Petri wrote in post #10276840 (external link)
You don't have to take test pics to test the IS. Just focus on something at 55mmm, keep the shutter button half-pressed and move the camera up/down/left/right while looking through the viewfinder. Then do the same with IS switched off. You should notice a difference. When the IS is engaged, the viewfinder view movement is soft, slowish and sluggish, a bit like slow-motion. When the IS is off, the movement is much sharper and faster. The difference is not night-and-day on a wide-angle zoom but you should be able to see it clearly.

Thanks, this is what I thought and have tried. There is simply no difference at all.

Anyone know the steps to dealing with Canon?

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 31, 2010 15:43 |  #9

Out of interest I've just tested my copy and I couldn't see any difference in the viewfinder, but listening closely there was high pitch squeaks with IS turned on.

damann
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 31, 2010 16:05 |  #10

broadcast_techie wrote in post #10277379 (external link)
Out of interest I've just tested my copy and I couldn't see any difference in the viewfinder, but listening closely there was high pitch squeaks with IS turned on.

Thanks BT. So did you just half press the shutter button and held it close to your ear and moved the camera around? I have done this and heard nothing.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 31, 2010 16:47 |  #11

Petri wrote in post #10276840 (external link)

damann wrote in post #10277489 (external link)
Thanks BT. So did you just half press the shutter button and held it close to your ear and moved the camera around? I have done this and heard nothing.

I don't hear anything on the 18-55IS when the IS is engaged nor do I see any difference in the viewfinder. However the 55-250IS IS is noticeable when it is engaged, in the viewfinder and you can hear it.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,125 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 31, 2010 16:52 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #12

I have yet to come across an IS lens where you can't hear the noise from the IS servo drive if you put your ear in contact with the lens, when the IS is running.

Anders

sponsored links

2,013 views & 0 likes for this thread
IS not working?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.