Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 May 2010 (Monday) 16:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Powerex charger?

Bob_McBob
213 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 31, 2010 16:13 |  #1

I've been stocking up on Eneloops for my flashes recently, and I think it's got to the point where I should really have a decent charger to replace the cheap 15 minute speed charger that came with my first set of batteries.

From what I gather, the Powerex MH-C9000 (external link) is pretty much the best you can get (along with the similar Lacrosse BC-900). I was all set to order one of these, when I came across the 8 AA chargers Powerex manufactures, like the MH-C801D (external link). They don't have the crazy analysis and charging features of the C9000, but they have what you want in a battery charger: individual circuits, slow/trickle charging, and conditioning.

I've shot a couple of weddings, and I usually end up taking three sets of batteries for my 430EX II (12 in total). This is certainly doable with a 4 battery charger, but I also have several flashes for off-camera use, and the idea of charging 32 batteries four at a time isn't too appealing. On the other hand, I rarely use these flashes, and I'm also using low self-discharge NiMH batteries exclusively, so I would only be topping them up.

What say you, POTN? Are the C9000's extra features worth the hassle of only being able to charge four batteries at once, or should the average person just get a high quality normal charger? I have read opinions on both sides of the issue, and I'm eager to see what people here have to say.

"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
5D Mark III - 16-35/2.8 II - 24-105/4 IS - 50/1.4 - 100/2.8 IS Macro - 70-200/2.8 IS - 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS

sponsored links
Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 31, 2010 17:06 |  #2

I am admittedly a flashaholic in addition to a shutterbug and reading threads at Candlepower Forums indicates that a Maha charger seems to be the charger of choice for eneloops as it charges/discharges and recharges them to max capacity. I intend to acquire a Maha charger shortly to give my eneloops the best potential charge. I found one thread that claimed that one of the radio shack chargers is actually made by Maha.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 31, 2010 17:19 |  #3

I have both of the Powerex chargers you mentioned and they are both very good chargers. I find I use the 8-cell one the most, as it not only charges twice as many cells at once, but it requires much less "fiddling" to get it started for a normal charge. With that charger, you select the charge-mode for the first battery inserted, and then all of the others are treated to the same cycle type.

I use the C9000 when I have problem batteries which I am trying to salvage. Although I used it often when I was using regular NiMH batteries, I haven't had a need for it with the Eneloops which I use exclusively now (I gave all my old batteries away). The Eneloops work great in my flashes which sit around more than they get used, but are always ready to go to work when I need them, no matter how long they have sat around unused.

If you are using Eneloops now, I would just get the C801D and enjoy it. If you are going on a photo assignment, you can "top-off" your flash battery set and the backup spare set at the same time. I have mine marked to keep them in 4-cell sets so they all get equal usage and don't get mixed together.

I get my chargers from Thomas Distributing and have done business with them for years.
http://www.thomasdistr​ibuting.com …dium=PPC&utm_ca​mpaign=PPC (external link)

You might search around and find a discount coupon code for them as well.

-howard

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2010 17:21 |  #4

I use the Maha/PowerEx C-204W.

I purchased it from here:

http://www.thomasdistr​ibuting.com …pasjf0su5c21pq0​0tkmmj0ci5 (external link)

http://****/adwxST (external link) (shortened if the above crapfest of a URL doesn't work)

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 31, 2010 20:03 |  #5

Even though I have the MHC-9000, you'll never use all the features if you use good quality batteries.

+1 I would recommend the MHC-204 as it also has the battery conditioning features and it's more compact.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 01, 2010 14:37 |  #6

+1 to what hfgarris says:
me too:
-have both Powerex MH-C9000 and MH-C801D charger.
-mostly use the 801 because I have too many batteries.
-only use 9000 when I have problem batteries which I am trying to salvage.
-i have mine marked to keep them in 4-cell sets so they all get equal usage and don't get mixed together.

If I have to do it all over again, maybe Im just gonna get one or two 801D charger and not the 9000, since I dont have time anymore to analyze individual battery, refresh, fix, etc, etc (1 day job, 1 part time job, family, etc).
Update: actually just picked up one more 801D, got a good deal, so now I have 1-9000 and 2-801.

Hope that helps.

Bob_McBob
THREAD ­ STARTER
213 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 01, 2010 20:36 as a reply to  @ canondslr's post |  #7

I think I'm going to go with the 8 battery charger. I noticed the 4 battery models only charge in pairs (other than the 100 minute/trickle version). Not a huge deal, but I have enough batteries I may as well just get the 8 battery model.

"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
5D Mark III - 16-35/2.8 II - 24-105/4 IS - 50/1.4 - 100/2.8 IS Macro - 70-200/2.8 IS - 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,830 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 01, 2010 22:57 |  #8

Bob_McBob wrote in post #10285272 (external link)
I think I'm going to go with the 8 battery charger. I noticed the 4 battery models only charge in pairs (other than the 100 minute/trickle version). Not a huge deal, but I have enough batteries I may as well just get the 8 battery model.

The LaCrosse BC700 or BC900 holds up to 4 cells, but individually charges cells rather than only pairs.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 02, 2010 16:15 |  #9

The LaCrosse chargers are nice, but they aren't as set it and forget easy to use.

Each time you use it, you need to specify what mAh you want to charge at on the first battery, and then the following 3 charge at the same rate.

but the LaCrosse ones are very good for conditioning the batteries vs just charging/slow charging.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Jun 04, 2010 00:26 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

I got the Powerex MH-C9000 yesterday. I use to do remote control car stuff a while ago, so I like to play with all the settings and such.

I don't mind it being just a 4 cell charger, I charge my cells over time and have them marked in batches. So it's cool for me. :)

I've got ReCyko's from GP BTW, which are made in the same factory as eneloops (they're the same thing essentially). GP is a Hong Kong company though, so I support them.

I also have some old GP NiMh batteries that need some TLC so the MH-C9000 will do that job nicely. :)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 04, 2010 11:26 |  #11

The C801D is so convenient when your charging batteries for the CP-e4. 8 battery charger is very convenient.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

shagaholik
478 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 04, 2010 12:33 |  #12

ThinkGeek.com has the La Crosse BC-9009 (comes with 4 AA, 4 AAA, 4 size C and D adapters, and carrying bag) for $39.99, get $10 off using code "GEEKPUZZLER". Comes to $36.58 after shipping.

http://www.thinkgeek.c​om/gadgets/travelpower​/b7fd/ (external link)

I ordered mine the other day and saved additional 3% via MrRebates.com (external link), got $1.20 cashback since the purchase shows listed as amount before coupon.

[Feedback]

sponsored links

3,902 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which Powerex charger?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.