Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 01 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 11:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Time Shooting at a Wedding ...

cubangixxer
92 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2010 11:56 |  #1

Ok, so I went to my nieces wedding last month, and I took a few photos just for myself (I was not the photographer), but its something I want to get into in the near future, and also I'm going to shoot my first wedding for my sister in law in November ... so please give me all your C&C's!
And I didn't take many photos, because I didn't want to their photographer to feel like I was stepping on his toes!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …ng/883749015_Wv​wvk-X2.jpg (external link)

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …ng/883747961_jk​M8E-X2.jpg (external link)

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …ng/883747247_yR​iq2-X2.jpg (external link)

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …ng/883745511_iA​jih-X2.jpg (external link)

5. (The Mother of the Bride)

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …ng/883744461_UJ​G8M-X2.jpg (external link)

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …ng/883742706_hq​KzY-X2.jpg (external link)

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …ng/883740457_Vp​aBd-X2.jpg (external link)

Canon XTi | Canon 15-55 IS | Canon 55-250 IS | Tamron 28-75 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 01, 2010 13:33 |  #2

#1: Light from Flash looks too harsh. Looks a little underexposed. Not a flattering angle for the bride.

#2: Underexposed

#3: Underexposed.

#4: Don't like the selective coloring. Subject in the middle of the frame. Looks slightly OOF.

#5: WB looks off. Slightly OOF.

#6: Light from Flash looks too harsh. Sharp shadows. Eyes half closed.

#7: Cute pic. Don't like the selective coloring.

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 01, 2010 13:43 |  #3

If I was the hired pro there, I wouldn't care if family members taking photos. I had people shown up with M9 and a noc, made no difference as long as they didn't step in my way.

Your shots are just snapshots with some selective color thrown in. Keep practicing, or ask someone you can tag along with to learn.

cubangixxer
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2010 13:50 |  #4

well, first off, I know most on here dont like selective coloring, but my niece wanted some photos like that. So I tried :confused:

nicksan wrote in post #10282905 (external link)
#1: Light from Flash looks too harsh. Looks a little underexposed. Not a flattering angle for the bride.
regarding flash, what else could I have done, I bounced it off the white ceiling and most of the light is natural light.
I agree the angle isnt the best, but again, I was doing what I could around the main photographer, I would try to sneak a photo in when i could, LOL!

#2: Underexposed
ok, Im gonna edit the RAW file and see if I can do better ... havent had much practice with B&W's. any other tips on B&W's would be greatly appreciated!

#3: Underexposed.
Ill try to edit to the RAW file and see if I can do better.

#4: Don't like the selective coloring. Subject in the middle of the frame. Looks slightly OOF.
I know, selective color isnt liked on here! lol
Yea, now that I look at it, it is a little OOF in the middle ... I need a better zoom lens, I took this photo in the church (not great light) with my 55-250 fully extended at f5.6

#5: WB looks off. Slightly OOF.
I guess I need to practice my eye for nailing down the white balance, I thought it looked good when i edited it. or maybe i need to calibrate my monitor!

#6: Light from Flash looks too harsh. Sharp shadows. Eyes half closed.
yea, the eyes half closed was upseting ... I didnt have time to review and re-shoot unfortunately.
I need to get a good diffuser for my 430EXII ... the ceiling was too high to reflect off of so I shot my flash directly.

#7: Cute pic. Don't like the selective coloring.

i know ... i know!

Canon XTi | Canon 15-55 IS | Canon 55-250 IS | Tamron 28-75 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 01, 2010 13:54 |  #5

+1 everything niksan said.

In addition:
1) Soft focus
2) So badly underexposed it warrants saying again.
3) I'm not sure this is underexposed but it is horrible harsh lighting. Should have exposed for highlights and then used fill.
4) Out of focus again.
6) Looks like focus is on back of bench. I'm sure he isn't going to appreciate documenting how hung over he looks:lol:

There isn't a single image here that I would put in a portfolio. Are you set up to work as a second shooter several times before November?

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

cubangixxer
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2010 14:04 |  #6

matonanjin wrote in post #10283023 (external link)
+1 everything niksan said.

In addition:
1) Soft focus
2) So badly underexposed it warrants saying again.
3) I'm not sure this is underexposed but it is horrible harsh lighting. Should have exposed for highlights and then used fill.
4) Out of focus again.
6) Looks like focus is on back of bench. I'm sure he isn't going to appreciate documenting how hung over he looks:lol:

There isn't a single image here that I would put in a portfolio. Are you set up to work as a second shooter several times before November?

nope :cry:

DogBreath
491 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 01, 2010 14:49 |  #7

The most important thing is you have got your first foot on the ladder(like everyone else has in the past).
Plenty of great photo ideas on this forum,get some in mind for your next wedding.
Take on board all of the above comments and keep going it will come in the end my friend!!!

2 & 3 are the better ones for me

Comments/Editing and constructive critique are welcomed.
Canon 1ds MkII,1ds MKI 5DMKII Canon nifty 50mm f1.8,Canon 24-105mm f4L IS,Sigma 12-24mm,Canon EF70-200mm F2.8L IS,Canon 17-40mm F4

bluefox9er
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Location: UK,don't move ehre,it rains a lot, it's incredibly violent and the women pee standing up..

Jun 01, 2010 16:17 |  #8

your shots are not quiet the car wreck people say they are...your comment about selective colour shows you have a commitment to provide what your clients want rather then shove your definition of 'art' down them.

keep working at it..suss out exposure and make sure you're getting fast enough shutter speeds..also learn off and on camera flash and keep practicing!!

before you do a paid gig i'd strongly suggest you assist or 3rd shoot for a pro and learn the even through the eyes of a pro.

http://www.flickr.com …s/sets/72157602​470636767/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …ctions/72157604​292148339/ (external link)
Canon EOS 1d mk III, Canon EOS 5d,Canon EOS 400d, 24-70 mm F2.8 L, ef 24-105 F4 L IS, ef 17-40 mm F4 L, 70-200 mm f2.8 IS L, 100-400 mm IS L, 50mmm f1.8, 85mmf1.8mm, ef 35 mm f1.4L, ef 135 mm f2 L,Canon Powershot G9, Epson p400-, hyperdrive space 120gb

cubangixxer
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2010 17:50 |  #9

bluefox9er wrote in post #10283896 (external link)
your shots are not quiet the car wreck people say they are...your comment about selective colour shows you have a commitment to provide what your clients want rather then shove your definition of 'art' down them.

keep working at it..suss out exposure and make sure you're getting fast enough shutter speeds..also learn off and on camera flash and keep practicing!!

before you do a paid gig i'd strongly suggest you assist or 3rd shoot for a pro and learn the even through the eyes of a pro.

thank you ... I was kinda getting depressed! I know Im no pro, but at least i had something to work with!
Yea, I definitely want to do some 2nd & 3rd shooter gigs to learn what there is to know. the wedding that im shooting in November is for my sister in law, and its not a paid gig, they're having a budget wedding and its kind of my gift to them. I would really like to improve as much as i possible can by the time i do that wedding so that I can feel comfortable and proud of what I give them. time will tell ... but all the feedback and tips I can get are greatly appreciated!

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 01, 2010 17:55 |  #10

cubangixxer wrote in post #10284402 (external link)
thank you ... I was kinda getting depressed! I know Im no pro, but at least i had something to work with!
Yea, I definitely want to do some 2nd & 3rd shooter gigs to learn what there is to know. the wedding that im shooting in November is for my sister in law, and its not a paid gig, they're having a budget wedding and its kind of my gift to them. I would really like to improve as much as i possible can by the time i do that wedding so that I can feel comfortable and proud of what I give them. time will tell ... but all the feedback and tips I can get are greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't be depressed about it.
It's difficult to get "money shots" when you are a guest at a wedding. Heck, it's difficult getting those shots even as a 2nd shooter at times!

Access has LOTS to do with being able to get great shots along with all the other obvious things...

Steph_in_Oregon
92 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 01, 2010 18:00 |  #11

If you are going to shoot your first wedding in November, I would encourage you to work on your exposure technique. As mentioned, most of the photos you've shared are underexposed. It's really important to know how your cameras reflective meter will handle the wedding dress, it will think it's 18% grey and underexpose your shot. You need to compensate for this by taking control of the camera. (If you meter the groom's black Tux, it will overexpose to make it 18% grey)

You've got plenty of time to read up on how to achieve a proper exposure appropriate for the image, which is different than what your CAMERA thinks is a proper exposure. Once you master this, you can focus on what type of images you want to capture, the most important ones will tell a story.

I'm no pro.... I am second shooting my first wedding this August and I'm scared to death!

Good luck!!!!!!

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 01, 2010 18:59 |  #12

Ive only done 5 weddings, including 2 as second shooter.

Once you are running the show its a total different ball game. You need to be able to guide everyone to where you need them. Position B&G for composed shots etc...

A couple of things i found usefull to help are when i meet with clients before the wedding to discuss package, i ask them to nominate someone on the day to help round people up for the family shots. Thers nothing worse than having people scattered all over the place when your trying to get your shots done.

Another thing i found handy, is in the heat of the moment you may forget shots that you need. So keep a check list near by for referance if need be. Also if your B&G arent getting into it or are over having their photo taken and you run out of ideas for composed shots, i keep a little scrap book in my back pocket to refer to for composed shots if i get stuck.

Also use this site to your advantage to learn about exposure. Use google and youtube also. All the answers are at your fingers tips. Take the time to read and learn. And then go practice on your dog or cat or a bowl of fruit.

You dont necessarily have to agree with all you read but take what you need.

My .02c worth :)

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

cubangixxer
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2010 19:40 as a reply to  @ supernova74's post |  #13

Steph & SuperNova ... thanks for the input! that is all very helpfull, and yes, I am reading up as much as I can and look at all the photos I can on this forum to get ideas and to see what great photos end up looking like! Im gonna just keep truckin and working on it.

cubangixxer
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2010 19:42 |  #14

Im still working on getting my B&W's to come out right ... Here are a couple more edits of that #2 photo from earlier, I tried fixing the exposure on it. let me know if Im on the right path or not!

thanks!!!

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …%20Wedding/IMG_​1330-3.jpg (external link)

http://i823.photobucke​t.com …%20Wedding/IMG_​1330-2.jpg (external link)

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 01, 2010 19:54 |  #15

Hope ya dont mind, i had a little play with one myself. Im no expert on PP, but i lifted the blacks a bit in lightroom and added some vignetting. Now, most people in here don like vignettes, myself, i like them. Personal choice really.

http://i12.photobucket​.com …ernova74/IMG_13​30-2-2.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

5,030 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Time Shooting at a Wedding ...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.