Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 20:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Editing photos in CS5

Downs ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 01, 2010 20:31 |  #1

I have no idea where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction?

| 5D mark III | 5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L |Canon 24-105L | Canon 70-200L 2.8L IS II | Sigma 35 1.4 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 1.4 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Gear
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
RAPhotography
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 01, 2010 20:46 |  #2

Check out YouTube. It has some decent videos that will give you an idea of where to go from here.

Ryan

Downs ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 01, 2010 21:01 |  #3

RAPhotography wrote in post #10285325 (external link)
Check out YouTube. It has some decent videos that will give you an idea of where to go from here.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan

| 5D mark III | 5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L |Canon 24-105L | Canon 70-200L 2.8L IS II | Sigma 35 1.4 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 1.4 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Gear
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Nursedad
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 01, 2010 22:26 |  #4

In a word (or acronym)...NAPP (external link)

The best $99 you'll ever spend.

- - Jeff
Rebel XTi / 18-55 Stock Lens / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8
580ex II Speedlight / Aperture / Photoshop CS3

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 02, 2010 08:25 as a reply to  @ Nursedad's post |  #5

Is there a local community college that offers intro courses. I recommend that to people that have no idea how to use the program. Once you have the basics of the program it is easy to pick up other talents online.

I agree with the suggestion about NAPP but feel like their tutorials assume that you have some working knowledge of the program. All you have to do is an online search for Photoshop tutorials and you will get more good results than you can read. You would have to wade through them to find the subject that you are looking for.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2010 09:40 |  #6

ssim wrote in post #10287848 (external link)
Is there a local community college that offers intro courses. I recommend that to people that have no idea how to use the program. Once you have the basics of the program it is easy to pick up other talents online.

This is the best possible advice, and the most ignored. The company I work for pays for courses that are in any way work related. Another way to actively learn is to join your local photography club, attend meetings, and find a Photoshop mentor.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

pearts
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 02, 2010 09:59 |  #7

watch youtube videos, look for the free lynda.com material, it's very good, but the most important thing is to find your style, and that is what takes the most time

Stefan ­ A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"
2,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 02, 2010 10:37 |  #8

I have started reading Martin Evening's new CS5 book. I sit there at the computer and just do all the things he talks about. I am on page 50 or so and I am just learning my way around the program - haven't really gotten into doing any editing yet. I feel this is a very good way to start learning.

Stefan

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 02, 2010 10:43 |  #9

Start with the basics! The "first things" have stayed largely the same, so you don't have to watch only CS5 stuff -- CS3 and CS4 tutorials should give you plenty to learn from. Learn about selections, layers, layer masks, edting tools (cloning, healing brush, etc), adjustment layers, curves and levels to get a "handle" on how to do your most frequent tasks. Sure you can play with things like Content Aware Fill, but you should find that most of your work is using the tools that have been pretty standard for a while.

Also, you don't say what type of photography you are shooting, but CS5 has a very powerful Raw processor (Adobe Camera Raw) that can be accessed from Bridge and will work with the common image files, not just Raw files. Many adjustments that can be made in the Photoshop editor can also be done in ACR and you may actually find it quicker and more efficient to deal with common adjustments that way.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2010 11:01 as a reply to  @ Stefan A's post |  #10

I've always been curious about those of us who have tons of gear, and an impressive online portfolio, but have never edited their photos. Do they have someone do their PP for them or do they just leave their images unedited as they came from the camera?

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 02, 2010 12:56 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #11

Are you offering Chas?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 02, 2010 13:08 |  #12

When you activate CS5 you get a choice of free gifts, one of them is a month's free access to lynda.com I'd recommend that if you haven't already chosen your freebie.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 02, 2010 13:43 |  #13

Lowner wrote in post #10289446 (external link)
Are you offering Chas?

Heck no! I already make my meager living fixing other people's crappy photos.

Chas P

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 02, 2010 16:22 |  #14

As meagre as the living I make teaching budding Yachtmasters?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 02, 2010 16:40 |  #15

Other good tutorials can be found at Kelbytraining.com
You have some trial videos so you can see what type of tutorials you get or ou can pay on a monthly basis so it is like $20 to try.
There is not only PS tutorials, but also general photography, HDR, how to clean your sensor, food photography, wildlife... lots of good stuff.

Juan

sponsored links

6,571 views & 0 likes for this thread
Editing photos in CS5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.