Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 31 May 2010 (Monday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your worst habit

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 01, 2010 14:25 |  #16

Peacefield wrote in post #10283012 (external link)
I've thought the same thing about maybe taking a photo for the folder, but haven't done it yet either. The reality is, forget the groom, I sometimes don't even recognize the bride. We're arriving before her gown or veil go on, of course, so we're walking into this room of a half dozen strange women in robes and sweats . . . I don't know which one is the bride! And even if I took a picture, they always look so different.

In January, I worked with a very large bride with a pretty distinctive appearance. But she looked so different with the professionally done hair and make-up, I couldn't believe it was the same person. And then when they came to see their images afterwards, she looked like the women I met nearly a year ago. But I have NO idea who was wearing that wedding dress because it sure didn't seem to be her!

Ya, if they put on make up before we get there, we are pretty much sh!t outa luck :) especially with a good make-up artist.

sponsored links
Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 01, 2010 14:26 |  #17

Not cleaning the sensor frequently enough.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 01, 2010 14:53 as a reply to  @ Biffbradford's post |  #18

Setting the camera to sRAW for generic shots like receiving line and reception, but then forgetting to change it back to RAW for a potential print purchase photo.

I'm also the king of accidental tilt. argh.

viet wrote in post #10276486 (external link)
Deleting picture on the spot as soon as I know it was wrong. Should never done that, but bad habit is hard to get rid of.

I do this constantly. And I think it's great. The less I have to deal with later, the better. But I only started doing that once I figured out the personalities of the camera AF systems, and now get a ridiculously high in-focus shot rate.

images by Paul wrote in post #10282961 (external link)
About a year ago, I had the idea that I would take a shot with my cell phone camera of everyone that contracted with me. Then I would keep it with their folder so that on their wedding day, I could recognize them. I never implemented the idea and when I'm surprised like you were on Saturday, I think of doing it again.

I'm bad with that too. Just type their emails into the search field on facebook and there's a good chance their profile picture will show up.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 01, 2010 16:06 |  #19

Peacefield wrote in post #10283012 (external link)
I've thought the same thing about maybe taking a photo for the folder, but haven't done it yet either. The reality is, forget the groom, I sometimes don't even recognize the bride. We're arriving before her gown or veil go on, of course, so we're walking into this room of a half dozen strange women in robes and sweats . . . I don't know which one is the bride! And even if I took a picture, they always look so different.

A loud cheerful "hello" (to a room full of girls), the one that replies hi (your name) is the bride! Not always, but usually...

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Mrsjperry
164 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 01, 2010 21:28 |  #20

Aside from keep a protein bar stashed away...I don't eat the meals. It's pretty bad when the bride and groom force you to eat something, especially when its considered rude in their culture not to.

If you know your passion then you've found your purpose.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 01, 2010 21:30 |  #21

I eat snack bars in my car, and I definitely have a meal at each wedding. I work hard, I get hungry. I eat the same meal as the guests. I tell people I can either eat there or I can leave for an hour, but that way I could miss things.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

ImagineTNT
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 01, 2010 22:23 |  #22

Wow, I have waaaaaay too many. If I had to pick one it would be that I add just a little too much dutch angle to my shots.

Some close seconds: thinking I'm better than I am, forgetting names, cropping too close...

C&C always appreciated for my posts :)
Celebration Packages [www.celebrationpackage​s.com (external link)]
Blog [blog.celebrationpackag​es.com (external link)]
Lightroom Tutorials [blog.celebrationpackag​es.com (external link)]

jmborkowski
113 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 02, 2010 17:12 |  #23

Definitely refocusing when I don't need to. It's mainly just when I'm shooting with a large aperture, but I've lost focus on the subject more than a few times after I already had it.

imagesbybarbara
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 02, 2010 17:38 |  #24

highway0691 wrote in post #10278730 (external link)
Verbals - Just recently I have called a few of the Grooms by another name:oops:. This is always followed by a couple of seconds of awkward silence by all within earshot.

Laugh out loud.....I have done that many a time the last time was last year and I kept calling the groom a different name so much that everyone was calling him by that name, at least everyone thought it was funny.:D

16-35 2.8L 24-105L 35 1.4L 135L 50 1.4 85 1.8 and 100 macro, 5D, 5D2, 40D, 20D, (3) 550, 2 Sunpak 555, white lighting studio set-up.

images ­ by ­ Paul
346 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 02, 2010 17:39 |  #25

Mrsjperry wrote in post #10285594 (external link)
Aside from keep a protein bar stashed away...I don't eat the meals. It's pretty bad when the bride and groom force you to eat something, especially when its considered rude in their culture not to.

Oh, I eat. Lets say I'm at the brides house at 11am and the reception starts at 7pm. Dinner won't be served to me until 8:30 if I'm lucky. That's 9 1/2 hours and snacks don/t cut it for me. I'm eating. My contract says that I get a hot meal. Me and food, we're inseparable.

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 02, 2010 23:14 |  #26

Mine has to be not using the DJs often enough; every time I ask them for a reception schedule they have it! But I rarely ask...
They're also quite useful for getting a group together, since they usually have a microphone :)

As far as names go, I'm renowned for learning everyone's names in a matter of minutes, then holding them in my head the rest of the day. Don't ask me how; it's just a 'rainman' thing, I guess.

To go back to the OP's original post, about cutting off feet, has anyone else noticed the trend of cutting off people's heads? Unless I had a very good reason for doing so, or unless I was realy zoomed in on another part of them (rings, flowers, etc), I can't imagine letting my clients see any images where their heads have been cut off. And by this I mean a photo that's normal in every other way, except for the missing heads. As a member of the WPJA, I've seen quite a few award-winning shots where the B&G had no heads. My only question has always been: what, no model release?
This is so far off topic I think I'll post it on its own...

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 03, 2010 01:11 |  #27

I consider it part of my job to help the couple plan their day. If I had to get a reception schedule from the DJ i'd consider I hadn't done my job properly. This varies depending on the part of the world you're in though.

highway0691
THREAD ­ STARTER
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 03, 2010 05:11 |  #28

Another one of my bad habits - often I'll start up a conversation with the B&G or maybe one of their parents just to give them a break from having a camera in their face. It's almost as if I forget I'm there to take photographs until I get a strange look from someone - then it's back on the tools. One more - I often fall in love with the bride.:wink::wink:

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

Mrsjperry
164 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 03, 2010 06:52 |  #29

Thank you for your words of wisdom..Tim & Paul

Will TRY to eat and still keep my girlish figure.

If you know your passion then you've found your purpose.

wdwpsu
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 03, 2010 08:01 |  #30

I'm not sure if it's a habit, but I have a wonderful knack for having a wonderful moment spoiled by someone in the background making a weird face/looking bored/etc.

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

7,139 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your worst habit
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.