Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lesson learned

Crop ­ Shop
175 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 03, 2010 00:09 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

They are only truly benefits,if you use them. I'd liken ignoring the histogram,as akin to shooting a card until full,then printing all the images less a cursory constructive glance.

I'm slow to poke my head in the sand,when there are options to avoid same. Immediate feedback is amongst digital's greatest advantages.

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 03, 2010 05:06 |  #32

harcosparky wrote in post #10291799 (external link)
chimping for some reason was not needed with film.

Familiarity with equipment has always been a must.

Chimping was not available with film. This does not mean it is not useful with digital.

When I approach a scene I meter with my handheld meter and invariably I take a shot and check the historgram. I don't usually bother looking at the LCD much again after that, but the ability to check a histogram allows me to fine tune my exposure to place tones exactly where I want them in the zones.

If light appears to be changing I can often adjust very quickly by just checking the last shot I took.

Only Luddites would not use a useful tool just because it is new.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 03, 2010 05:17 |  #33

blueM wrote in post #10291563 (external link)
Why? What's wrong with chimping? It seems to me to be one of the most useful differences between digital and film.

+100.........totally agree.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

whitehawk
79 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 03, 2010 05:28 |  #34

madhatter04 wrote in post #10292890 (external link)
Chimp chimp if you want to
You can leave the old days behind
'Cause if you can't point and if you can't shoot
then you're no friend of mine.

hahaha

where did I hear this song recently? I like the word substitutions... :D

5D3 | 35L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580Ex II

shaker69
231 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 03, 2010 05:36 |  #35

whitehawk wrote in post #10294054 (external link)
hahaha

where did I hear this song recently? I like the word substitutions... :D

New wave 80's.:)

7D/XTi/100 2.8/50 1.8/18-135/S30 1.4/T11-16 2.8/100-400L IS

RandyS
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2010 05:37 |  #36

harcosparky wrote in post #10291799 (external link)
chimping for some reason was not needed with film.

Neither was fast and accurate auto focus tracking.

At least not until it was invented.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 03, 2010 09:25 |  #37

JeffreyG wrote in post #10294011 (external link)
Only Luddites would not use a useful tool just because it is new.

And Luddites will still be cooking their food on charcoal braziers and watching their movies on VHS (or Betamax) tapes..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 03, 2010 09:39 |  #38

I always chimp... Nothing wrong with it. It stops mistakes like what you had happen, happen.

I don't get the "its bad to chimp" mindset... BIG advantage from film!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 09:43 |  #39

Chimping was available with film. Pros would use Polaroid backs to take proof shots and develop them instantly, then change to proper film backs once they were satisfied with their Polaroids.

35mm film cameras didn't let you do that but at the time the whole point of the single lens reflex camera was that you got to see the shot as close as possible to how it would appear before you pressed the shutter button. Exposure could be off but that's what light meters were for.

Then there was always the retake day for school photos in case people blinked...

Bracketing and multiple shots were used with film too so hopefully one of them would have the right exposure, no blinks, etc.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 03, 2010 09:51 |  #40

Generally I chimp like a monkey but just very quickly for exposure as you can't really judge sharpness on an LCD. I certainly don't pre-edit or delete any files, too much time & battery drain. Just a very quick look every few dozen frames to be sure everything is on track.

But I never chimp during sports and some events as I know I'll miss something while chimping.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

th0rr
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2010 11:24 as a reply to  @ mmahoney's post |  #41

Sweet Jeebus this is getting ridiculous. If you read my original post I never stated that I never chimp. All I said is that I usually try to not. I never said it was wrong or right. It is just my personal preference.

If you feel the need to or even just like to chimp, fine. More power to you. My goal was to share my mistake in not double checking my settings. Not debate the right or wrong of chimping.

Some of you take this s**t wwaaaaayyyy to personally.

raylfreeman
312 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 11:43 |  #42

th0rr wrote in post #10295611 (external link)
Sweet Jeebus this is getting ridiculous. If you read my original post I never stated that I never chimp. All I said is that I usually try to not. I never said it was wrong or right. It is just my personal preference.

If you feel the need to or even just like to chimp, fine. More power to you. My goal was to share my mistake in not double checking my settings. Not debate the right or wrong of chimping.

Some of you take this s**t wwaaaaayyyy to personally.

I do not think anyone took issue with whether or not one should chimp. They took issue with the post calling those who do not know their equipment incompetent and therefore have to chimp.

th0rr
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2010 11:54 |  #43

raylfreeman wrote in post #10295715 (external link)
I do not think anyone took issue with whether or not one should chimp. They took issue with the post calling those who do not know their equipment incompetent and therefore have to chimp.

Which post was that? I do not recall any post here calling anyone incompetent. I see posts where like minded people state their reason for not wanting to chimp but I see no name calling.

tin.risky
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 03, 2010 11:58 |  #44

Just to keep on topic, I had the same thing happen to me today. I was shooting my cousin's graduation and kept wondering why I kept getting a bit of handshake blur in my photos when I usually get usable photos under similar conditions. I checked the lens, and lo' and behold, the IS was accidentally switched off. It probably happened while it was being put into or taken out of my bag. Turned it on, and I was back in business. Now I have to add "IS switch" to my list of things to double check before I shoot :)

th0rr
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2010 11:59 |  #45

tin.risky wrote in post #10295792 (external link)
Just to keep on topic, I had the same thing happen to me today. I was shooting my cousin's graduation and kept wondering why I kept getting a bit of handshake blur in my photos when I usually get usable photos under similar conditions. I checked the lens, and lo' and behold, the IS was accidentally switched off. It probably happened while it was being put into or taken out of my bag. Turned it on, and I was back in business. Now I have to add "IS switch" to my list of things to double check before I shoot :)

Heh, you an me both.

sponsored links

6,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lesson learned
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.