Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 May 2010 (Friday) 15:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the advantage of the G11 over the Rebel XS?

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 31, 2010 22:06 |  #31

robrobin wrote in post #10278799 (external link)

No, wrong again. The point is that your XSi CANNOT take macro shots with the kit lens. So, which is better/useful/function​al/whatever the terminology you use depends on the situation. Your generalization is like saying a dump truck is better than a bus. Now that's ludicrous!

There many instances in macro product photography where you need great dof vs. shallow dof. The G11 will outperform the XSi in many of those cases. That's why it's in my portfolio. In my business there are times I could not use an XSi because it could not do the job without expensive additional equipment, where the G11 can. Do I think my G11 is a better overall camera than my 5D, 1D or D700......certainly not but it has it's place.

You know, I'm not wrong.... I actually understand what you're saying, I don't shoot with a XSi, but regardless of what I use, my argument is about capable cameras, the P&S just die at that.... a point-n-shoot, no way of making it any better, can't upgrade the lens, can't buy this L lens or that macro, zoom, wide, can't shoot 3 or better FPS, can't shoot good low light images, etc. etc..... the list can go on but I'll stop it here, it's simply enough. Yeah, you spend more on a DSLR but if your main thing is you have the ability to grow with it and having a bigger sensor size helps big time. I can see myself buying a G11 for everyday use, but I would think about using it it for high end stuff or serious work, not even as a backup camera on a wedding shoot. A XS or XSi or newer Rebel could be a great backup camera, specially with the right lens attached to it.

I really don't think the comparison is fair in any way, the G11 is a great P&S and the XSi is more than that, is actually a very good DSLR, and in the right hands you can do some amazing photography with it. If somebody wants to get into photography, I will never point them to a P&S. Now if somebody wants a decent camera to take good pictures of their kids or their trip to Europe but wants to pack light and has no plans of getting into photography, then the G11 will be a camera I would definitely recommend, I've already done this to more than one person, one ended up buying a Rebel, she wanted more controls and versatility and the other just wanted a great P&S and of course my recommendation was the G9 (G series at the time).

I don't think you're seeing my point, the bottom line, if someone like the OP asks the question as to what camera was better, even with a kit lens, I would recommend a DSLR over a P&S just for the capabilities and for the room to grow with it. I know that for some people taking great macro shots out of the box is important but the majority of people asking a question like that, don't really know for sure what they plan to do with that camera, but if you're even considering a DSLR then, for me, the choice is obvious, buy what you can that will allow you to grow unless you have no plans to get no deeper into photography than taking macro shots of a flower or a bug.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 31, 2010 22:12 |  #32

Shift4g wrote in post #10278540 (external link)
Shouldn't that be impossible?;) Your argument was that there was nothing that the G11 could do better simply because it was a P&S. I assume you would stand by the argument (if it existed) that any and all DSLRs can take better outdoor pictures with a lens cap on than the best P&S camera could. I'm not sure why you think people have concluded that the G11 is BETTER than a DSLR, especially when most people with them have DSLRs too.

No, not really what I said, read my reply to the other post above this one.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

audiosteve
146 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 31, 2010 23:24 |  #33

This whole thread is ridiculous. AGAIN... these are two different cameras with two different sets of strengths and neither one can replace the other. What is better, a four wheel drive F-350 or an Audi S4 ? Stupid question. Two different things with two different sets of capabilities, strengths and weaknesses, neither of which could replace the other. Can we please stop this thread now ? It is stupid and pointless.

cyberon
540 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 01, 2010 05:45 |  #34

I read this thread with amusement. Why get so heated over something so trivia? I came from film SLR and used to invest quite a fair bit, looked what happen now? Buy whatever suits your need and your budget, unless you are seriously thinking about specific professional work, don't even think about growing old with your gear! In today's day and age, that will pass you by really quickly.
I currently own a G11, why? because I like to shoot underwater and don't wish to invest heavily in an DSLR and again for an expensive DSLR housing.

500D, Speedlite 430EX II, Lens : 15-85mm; 50mm F1.8 II; 100mm F2.8L IS Macro; 70-200mm F4L; Samyang 8mm F3.5
U/W : G11, OEM Housing, Inon S2000, Inon D4 Tray, Inon UCL-165 Close up lens
Astro : Modded 1100D, ES 80ED, Skywatcher HEQ5 Mount, Astrotrac TT320X-AG, Astronomik CLS Clip in filter

genzbenz
628 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 01, 2010 16:21 |  #35

I wonder if the OP is still following this thread, or if it got too ridiculous for them!

Visit my Facebook Page (external link)
5D III | 5D II | 85L II | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 100 2.8 Macro | 50 1.8 II | Tokina 16-28 2.8 | Sigma 15 2.8 FE | Sigma 35 1.4 | 430EX II (x3) | Calumet Genesis lights | YN RF-602 and YN-622c triggers

Eric ­ Astin
23 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 01, 2010 17:31 |  #36

Cliffs;

G11 is better than all DSLR's.

HeleneD
Goldmember
1,822 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 02, 2010 20:48 |  #37

I think apples are the best. You can make apple juice, apple sauce, pies, apple butter... Oranges are great but all you can really make from them is juice. Seems like apples are the clear winner. ;)

Canon 5D3
35L, 85L, 24-70L, 70-200L
FACEBOOK (external link)
flickr (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 03, 2010 05:31 |  #38

genzbenz wrote in post #10283930 (external link)
I wonder if the OP is still following this thread, or if it got too ridiculous for them!

FWIW, I think the OP is shooting with the XS;)

Tadaaa
926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 03, 2010 11:26 |  #39

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10140373 (external link)
The G11 has a similar zoom range (when comparing the stock lens, 18-55 on the rebel), and the G11 isn't really that much smaller. So I was wondering what the advantage is to having a G11 when, for almost the same price, one can purchase the 1000D (Rebel XS).

I ask this because I'm thinking of getting one or the other with a few hundred bucks I'm scrounging up.

It seems to me that the Rebel would easily outperform the G11 in low light.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Size mostly. The XS is a better camera but it is quite a bit bigger.

- 1D & G9 & Sigma DP1 & Nikon D800 -

tin.risky
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 03, 2010 12:51 |  #40

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #10140373 (external link)
The G11 has a similar zoom range (when comparing the stock lens, 18-55 on the rebel), and the G11 isn't really that much smaller. So I was wondering what the advantage is to having a G11 when, for almost the same price, one can purchase the 1000D (Rebel XS).

I ask this because I'm thinking of getting one or the other with a few hundred bucks I'm scrounging up.

It seems to me that the Rebel would easily outperform the G11 in low light.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Just to keep on topic a bit , the zoom range on the G11 is better compared to the kit lens plus you get pretty awesome macro capabilities. I'm not talking about in only some situations where the light and subject are absolutely perfect and the stars align just right. The macro function on the G11 is great in just about any situation that you'll need it in except for really low light stuff. I've owned and used (fairly often) a couple of different macro lenses including the 100 f/2.8 non-L, so I've had some experience with macro photography. Not to mention you get f/2.8 on the G11. To equal that and the zoom range of the G11 on the Rebel, you'd have to pick up a much larger lens than the kit. Even with the kit lens, the G11 still has a size advantage. You'll never be able to pocket a Rebel body, much less a body + lens unless you're a kangaroo (using your front pouch/pocket). Another great plus of the G11 is the articulated screen. Personally, I didn't think it'd be that great, but I've actually used it on quite a few occasions and now I love it. Video capability is also nice when you need it.

This isn't to say that the G11 is "better" than a Rebel. If you want bokeh, forget the G11. Even with f/2.8, it's still a smaller sensor than the Rebel, hence you won't be able to blur out the background much (don't ask me for a more technical explanation. It just is what it is). The G11 has f/2.8, but the Rebel can go up to higher ISO's with less noise, again due to the larger sensor. You also have more versatility with the Rebel in regards to being able to add lenses to suit your needs as long as you don't mind having to carry around all this versatility ;). Image quality in terms of sharpness will also be a bit better than the G11 if you pick up some quality lenses (but that would increase the price by a lot).

Want a small "all-in-one" package? The G11 is great, and as a "real photographer" with plenty of expensive gear, I find that it suits my needs just fine on the occasions where I don't want to lug around all my other stuff. The color is nice and saturated (esp on the vivid setting), sharpness is excellent, good zoom range, and if you really need to get indoor low light shots, the built in flash power can be adjusted for more pleasing results or you can stick any Speedlite flash onto the hot shoe and fire away. You can still get "photos" rather than "snapshots" using the G11, if you know what I mean. If you want room to expand into photography, don't need to cover every range right away, want the ability to blur out the background more, and want more versatility through adding lenses, then the Rebel is your camera. Not to mention improved image quality once you pick up some nicer lenses. For the same price though, you get more out of the box with the G11. Sorry, for the long post. Just wanted to add a little more to the topic rather than get into the "dslr trumps all" debate :D

Pixiekiller
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 04, 2010 15:20 as a reply to  @ tin.risky's post |  #41

Isnt the best camera, the camera you have with you?
seems like a lot of ppl are more interested in gear than in a good photo

Just wanted to fuel the fires a bit :D..

-Pixie-

Lurker in the Deep

audiosteve
146 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 04, 2010 16:20 |  #42

Pixiekiller. Yes! The best camera is the one you have with you. I took my G11 to a concert on Wednesday. SLR's were not allowed in. Point and shoots were. This is common. That is one of the reasons I got the G11. And frankly, the G11 seems to do just as well, if not better, in low light as my older 10D SLR. Which they would have made me take back to the car had I brought it to the show. ONCE AGAIN. THE G11 and and SLR are two different cameras with two sets of capabilities and different plusses and minusses. I have both and would not want it any other way; neither one could replace the other.

genzbenz
628 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 05, 2010 11:21 |  #43

Pixiekiller wrote in post #10303532 (external link)
Isnt the best camera, the camera you have with you?

-Pixie-

A-fricken-men!

Visit my Facebook Page (external link)
5D III | 5D II | 85L II | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 100 2.8 Macro | 50 1.8 II | Tokina 16-28 2.8 | Sigma 15 2.8 FE | Sigma 35 1.4 | 430EX II (x3) | Calumet Genesis lights | YN RF-602 and YN-622c triggers

h14nha
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 11, 2010 13:14 |  #44

[QUOTE=Pixiekiller;103​03532]Isnt the best camera, the camera you have with you?

-Pixie-

Ahh, I read all the way thro this post to the 3rd page to find the right answer as posted by 'Pixiekiller'
The thing is all posters are correct coming from their point of view of how they see the difference between the two.
I had a G11 as a christmas present. I wanted a smaller camera to have with me at all times in the car, as I drive around in work. My thought was that if my DSLR's and lenses were stolen from the car I would face a large bill to replace them. So, the answer was the G11. A smaller P&S, and if it got stolen, cheaper to replace.
The thing is I love it so much I'm still afraid to take it to work in case I lose it. The other day I went to photograph some waterfalls. It was a 45 minute hike to get to them. When I got there which camera did I use.
The 7d, the XSi and all my lenses stayed in the bag and it was my G11 which was perched on my Manfrotto.
The sheer ease of its controls coupled with the in built ND filter made my decision simple. No filters to attach, no mirror lock up, no remote cord, just an easy access timer.
One critisism of the G11 when it was launch was its large size. Too big to be a pocket camera. I would agree with that, I bought a small Lowepro to carry mine around, so compact it isnt.
So, as per origional post, it has some advantages, as I stated above, and, has some disadvantages as argued previously by others. Its down to the individual to chose what they will use it for, and which feature suit them best.
They are both very capable cameras, depending on what you shoot, you will be happy with your purchase.
AMEN ;)
Ian

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

Thira
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 23, 2010 08:44 as a reply to  @ h14nha's post |  #45

I would like to throw my 2 cents in.
I own a G11 and carry a lensmate adapter and circular polarized. I travel to many remote places, taking the G11 to Peru (hiked the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu); Australia (White water rafting on the Tully, Great Barrier reef in Port Douglas; and French Polynesia- great hiking on Nuka Hiva, diving on Huahine and Bora Bora).

I consider myself an amateur photographer.

The G11 has recorded phenomenal photos for my memories and I even have acceptable video. One thing not mentioned in the underwater capability of the G11. My photos of the Great Barrier reef are incredible.

The size and weight of the G11 is a major advantage when one is traveling, especially when carrying a day pack. I do carry a light weight carbon tripod, eliminating the problem of slow setting opportunities. It allows the use of lower number ISO, 80-200.

That being said, I have recently purchased the Rebel T2i, EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 and EF-50mm f/1.4. Have not shot it yet, but I can already tell that it is a lot faster, and with the choice of lens, a lot more versatile. Down side is the expense, weight and bulk. I do not see carrying this much on vacation.

At present I plan to keep both camera's. If expense is a consideration, get the G11. You will like it.
Learn to shoot using manual settings. It will be worth it.
Good luck.

sponsored links

11,534 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the advantage of the G11 over the Rebel XS?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.