Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lesson learned

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,664 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 03, 2010 12:01 |  #46

I chimp because I can.

Would any of the great classic masters of photography be alive today, and working with digital technology, I could not picture them saying [Adams] "Don't chimp man, that stuff is for sissys!".

IF you can do without looking at the Review, then more power to you.
To me, photography is about drawing with light. About the image. All the tools lead to the one, single, breathtaking result: The Image.

If checking your LCD screen contributes to a better image, then you're doing it right.

My view, anyways. :)

--Mario
"Sensa luce non si vede nessuna cosa"--Lorenzo Ghiberti

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 03, 2010 12:21 |  #47

th0rr wrote in post #10291390 (external link)
I try not to chimp when taking shots. So that being said the other day I went with my family to OMSI to see the last day of the Space exhibit. I decided to take some shots and decided to just take my Canon 18 - 55mm IS. It was very low light in there and somehow my IS got turned off. While not a complete failure after we left I downloaded my images and saw a lot that seemed out of focus. Upon closer examination it didn't look so much out of focus as much as typical hand shake. Checking my gear I saw that IS was off. Doh!

So lesson being if you're not going to chimp check your settings, check your settings, check your settings.

I will say that the 7D performed admirably in the low light setting. Didn't hunt once when auto focusing. :grin:

Well, I read all the posts, but something to note here is that chimping wouldn't have helped here unless you chimped at a 10x zoom to check focus. I never do that:)!

It sounds like you did get bit by a slow shutter speed and no IS (which chimping would also not have disclosed). I tend to not check my IS "faithfully", only if I think of it, but then my IS is always on unless I'm doing tripod shooting and I know it won't help. But it never hurts to double check -- there have been occasions where I've found it off or just as bad found my lens was on MF.

In general, when I go into a scene like that right off the bat I'll tend to switch to a high ISO like 1600, then take the time to set my aperture/shutter speed combination to meet the needs of the scene, then do some meter reading to see if it "appears" to be OK or if I need to adjust something. Once I do that and my settings seem to be sufficient, then I will take a test shot and chimp (or use Live View and the live histogram) just to make sure that I and the camera meter came up with a good judgement.

All that being said, though, in the "heat of battle" I mess something up all the time. And, poor conditions mean that you may have to deal with say a slow shutter speed and compensate for that with some strong steadying techniques, short bursts, etc. And, whenever the lighting changes, I'll frequently mess up the first shot or so, chimp, adjust, and hit it again.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

photocarma
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 03, 2010 12:27 |  #48

madhatter04 wrote in post #10292890 (external link)
Chimp chimp if you want to
You can leave the old days behind
'Cause if you can't point and if you can't shoot
then you're no friend of mine.

LOL, this was driving me crazy 'til I figured out what the heck it was :D

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,664 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 03, 2010 12:45 |  #49

tonylong wrote in post #10295903 (external link)
...It sounds like you did get bit by a slow shutter speed and no IS (which chimping would also not have disclosed). I tend to not check my IS "faithfully", only if I think of it, but then my IS is always on unless I'm doing tripod shooting and I know it won't help. But it never hurts to double check -- there have been occasions where I've found it off or just as bad found my lens was on MF...

Agreed. One of the many downfalls of Chimping (man I hate that word).
One tends to rely on it for more intuitive things such as exposures, balances, focus, when reality -and the sensor- dictate differently. I still use it, but this is true, gotta beware of what the Image Review Tool can and cannot give you.

--Mario

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 12:52 |  #50

People over-rely on IS as well. For people shots, like a graduation, I wouldn't rely on it. People move which requires faster shutter speeds. If you use a higher shutter speed then IS can still help but shots won't be ruined if it is off, or if the people move when you aren't expecting it.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

th0rr
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 03, 2010 13:08 |  #51

hpulley wrote in post #10296069 (external link)
People over-rely on IS as well. For people shots, like a graduation, I wouldn't rely on it. People move which requires faster shutter speeds. If you use a higher shutter speed then IS can still help but shots won't be ruined if it is off, or if the people move when you aren't expecting it.

I agree with this. But in my particular case IS would have been an advantage when taking hand held shots in low light. I set the shutter speed relevant to the aperture and ISO that I was sure I could take hand held figuring in IS. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. :o

tin.risky
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 03, 2010 13:10 |  #52

The shots weren't ruined without IS because the people were moving. I'm aware that you need faster shutter speeds to capture motion, but the main shots I needed were when he stood still and was posing after having received the diploma and when he was posing while shaking the headmaster's hand. Most of the other shots were of the general setting, most of which wasn't moving. The shots turned out great once I had the IS back on. You have the 24-70L, so you probably belong to the "faster shutter speed trumps IS" school of thought (just kidding. mostly. :D)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 13:39 |  #53

tin.risky wrote in post #10296184 (external link)
The shots weren't ruined without IS because the people were moving. I'm aware that you need faster shutter speeds to capture motion, but the main shots I needed were when he stood still and was posing after having received the diploma and when he was posing while shaking the headmaster's hand. Most of the other shots were of the general setting, most of which wasn't moving. The shots turned out great once I had the IS back on. You have the 24-70L, so you probably belong to the "faster shutter speed trumps IS" school of thought (just kidding. mostly. :D)

Until fairly recently I was still using manual focus film cameras where IS was not possible :lol:

Then I got some IS lenses and they made me sloppy and lazy. My 135mm f/2L taught me that I still need good technique, can't rely on IS to always save the day.

When I was recently deciding between the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 24-105 f/4 IS I compared both and after having re-taught myself how to hold a camera again with the 135mm f/2L I concluded that the f/2.8 would be better for the night baseball games where I'm lucky to get 1/125 at f/2.8 3200 ISO. IS doesn't help there, the ball and bat are too blurred as it is, might have to use the 135mm f/2L for that too or the 50mm... and perhaps 6400 ISO as well though I'd rather not.

IS is great for telephoto though, I love it on my 100-400L IS. Even using high shutter speeds I was never able to get sharp shots with my old, pre-IS 300mm f/4L hand held but it is a breeze with the 100-400L IS. But still, I'm always shooting birds or sports with it so the IS helps but I still need a high enough shutter speed to stop the motion. So I belong to the "IS helps but still use a high enough shutter speed that you shouldn't need it" camp now :-D

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 03, 2010 13:47 |  #54

How did looking at your LCD get named "CHIMPING"?

I don't get it.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 13:47 |  #55

guntoter wrote in post #10296423 (external link)
How did looking at your LCD get named "CHIMPING"?

I don't get it.

Did you read the wikipedia article linked above???

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 03, 2010 13:54 |  #56

hpulley wrote in post #10296429 (external link)
Did you read the wikipedia article linked above???

I have now. I missed it.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 03, 2010 14:24 |  #57

something similar ... yet different happened to me awhile back shooting a basketball game. And of course, right after I discovered my new 7D was having problems focusing accurately. All of a sudden NO focusing at all. Zero. The camera would no longer focus the lens on anything.

Finally looked at the lens. AF control on the 85mm slipped over to MF. I'm such a DORK!!!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 03, 2010 14:35 |  #58

snyderman wrote in post #10296690 (external link)
something similar ... yet different happened to me awhile back shooting a basketball game. And of course, right after I discovered my new 7D was having problems focusing accurately. All of a sudden NO focusing at all. Zero. The camera would no longer focus the lens on anything.

Finally looked at the lens. AF control on the 85mm slipped over to MF. I'm such a DORK!!!

dave

I have you beat on dork moments.
I took several formals at a wedding with my AF button on MF........AAAKKKKK. My face was very red when I had to ask those folks to come back for another try.

SUPER DORK TIME.

By the way, chimping would have been very advisable in that circumstance.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 03, 2010 15:26 |  #59

I have to ask, couldn't you tell in the viewfinder that your camera wasn't focusing??? It is an SLR right... you can see what it is taking pictures of. Unless the diopter is set wrong it should be crisp in the viewfinder, maybe not 100% pixel peepable crisp but it shouldn't be that far off.

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,664 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 03, 2010 15:29 |  #60

can you say "pixel peepable" 100 times really fast? :P

--Mario

sponsored links

6,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lesson learned
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.