Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 13:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting in to Sports Photography

BioSpark
237 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 03, 2010 13:02 |  #1

Lately I've been really wanting to get in to kids sports photography. My plan was to go to the games, take some pictures, pass out cards with my smugmug address and tell the parents where they can go to get prints etc.

However, before I start, I wanted to ask this very simple yet hard question: Where do I start?

I know I can't just show up with my camera and start taking pictures unless I have some type of permission. Should I email each little league etc association (or school) and ask to come out to take pictures? Do I give them a cut of the sales? Also, do I need to get a model release for every kid I shoot before I put them UP on smugmug? That might be a little hard since I have NO idea who's parents belong to which kid etc.

As far as the cards, I have that one covered (thanks moo). If anyone might be able to shed a little light on how they got started doing kids/young adults sports photography, I would surely appreciate it!

sponsored links
CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,836 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 03, 2010 14:22 |  #2

You will probably discover yourself, along with hearing here, that there really is not a lot of money to be made doing what you are wanting to do. Not enough to justify the time you will invest. The money is made doing T/I shots.

I shoot tons of local kids sports, for the enjoyment (intense hobby). In turn, that has generated a lot of decent paying jobs that are non-sports related. I do pretty well around Christmas time making up posters from the vault of sports shots I have taken.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 03, 2010 14:53 as a reply to  @ CatchingUp's post |  #3

Copied and pasted from another thread-
I got started shooting youth baseball and softball earlier this year. No one else was taking the photographs and I have students playing softball and a friend coaches one of the baseball teams, so getting in to take the pictures was the easy part. The parents loved the pictures, so I set up a smugmug account and they could purchase them online. I found out real quick that loving the pictures does not transfer into buying the pictures. Out of nearly 1,000 shots, I have sold about $20 worth of work. :sad: Good luck!

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 03, 2010 16:05 |  #4

The sales of action shots is usually poor compared to the time invested but it can lead to other work such as T&I shots. The problem is that if you get the T&I and then stop going to the games, you will lose the T&I. I took the T&I of 5 teams away from the person that was shooting them for years because I go to most of the home games for those teams. The economy is another factor, parents may want photos of their kids but they don't need them. I supplement the action shots by selling the teams a slideshow for their annual banquets along with enlargements for each senior on the team. Recently I had a team also order copies of the slideshow to give them.
If you do a good job with one team, others will call you to do the same for them.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

BioSpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 03, 2010 19:08 as a reply to  @ Mike R's post |  #5

Wow. Thanks for your responses folks. Really dumb question I know, but what is T&I? Time and investment?

RobsLost
148 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 03, 2010 20:35 |  #6

Team & Individual

sponsored links

989 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting in to Sports Photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.