Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Jan 2009 (Saturday) 20:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Questions about Zeus Power Packs and Bi-Tubes...

Sauk
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 03, 2009 20:17 |  #1

I know this has been discussed way to much but I am having trouble figuring out the information I need. I will try to be as specific as possible.

I will be ordering this weekend either the 1250, 2500 with bi-tube heads. But I just can not wrap my head around the flash duration discussion that has been going on.

Now if I were to purchase the 2500 pack and use the bi-tube it looks like the T1 (only number I care about as that is what stops the action) is at 1/600th of a second which is the same as the AB1600 I currently own. That is with both plugs plugged into the outlets.

Now if I were to set that to the 1/4th switch would my T1 now be 1/1250th at 625ws (same power as the B1600's)? Or what would that be at?

I know that by lowering power using the slider my T1 would actually get longer and not shorter, but that I need to use the switch that is located next to the plugs in order to quicken the T1 flash duration.

My question is the same with the 1250 pack. If used at the 1/4th switch that would be 312ws (same as a B800) and my T1 would than be 1/1800th? Or what would that be?

The only numbers I really care about are the T1 numbers. Would it be better to just get the single tube heads if I will be using these packs on 1/4th all the time or will using the bi-tube still be quicker on that power setting.

Or what if I had the bi-tube and only one plug plugged in and have it on 3/4ths setting (is that even possible) would my T1 be better?

Sorry for all these questions. I have to have these by Tuesday so I will be overnight them and I just want to make sure I know all of this information before I decide on a power pack.

Thanks

**Wanted to also ask when you use the extension cable how much longer does that make the flash durations? Or does that only affect the recycle time

Nikon D700 D3s | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

sponsored links
gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 03, 2009 21:16 |  #2

Matthew, just curious are you getting 2 heads and 2 power packs. If I remember from the old days when I used Norman Black Lines, if you lowered the power setting it also increased the duration, and by adding extensions to the strobe from the power pack also increased recycle time, but this was in the late 80's so power packs could be different these days. Have you looked into the Elinchrom 600rx I do believe the t1 on those are around 1100 and a little bit cheaper.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 03, 2009 21:37 |  #3

gromeo,

Yeah I will be getting 2 bi-tube heads and either 2 1250 packs or 2500 packs. I need one for each side of the court I will be shooting on.

The t1 on the elinchrom is around the same as the B1600's which is 1/600th.

The T1 with the 1250 packs at full power is 1/900th. If I cut that down to the quarter switch (312) I am assuming I would at least double that t1 but that is what I am confused on.

THe t1 on the 2500 pack is 1/600th at full power, what is it at the 1/4th (612ws) again I am assuming it is around 1/1200th but I don't know yet.

Also when you move down to the 1/4th switch to get the faster durations using bi-tubes will they not work as good as if you were using just the normal zues heads?

lol Lots of questions

J ­ Rabin
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 03, 2009 22:53 as a reply to  @ Sauk's post |  #4

Are you over thinking this? The fastest duration would be both pigtails from one bi-tube head connected to both channels of one PCB 1250 pack. With both pigtails plugged, pack will likely be in symmetric output, so you can't use 3:1 ratio asymmetric 3/4-1/4 power setting (I don't know for sure, just supposing).
Set up that way, at full 1250 w-s power, duration I believe is about 1/3000 t.5 or 1/1000 t.1. Pretty darn good.
If you then reduce symmetric output by cutting out capacitors (possible on my Dyna-Lite, but not sure about PCB Zeus), durations will get shorter.
A standard Zeus head, not the bi-tube, connected to the 1/4 channel with the pack in asymmetric output, is likely to also have brief duration. Are you sure you will need power potential of the bi-tubes? What power do you need, and how often would you have one head plugged into to packs?

But, heck, nice people at PCB can answer your Qs. I will tell you they sound like a muffled .22 caliber. The 2500 w-s pack with dual pigtails is louder, and a bi-tube into two 2500 packs likely has a nice solid rifle crack to it. I enjoyed target shooting when I was young.
Jack

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 03, 2009 23:19 |  #5

Jack,

I suppose I could be over thinking it lol But to me I would like to know what I am getting from the products I purchase.

I know on the 1250 I will get a T1 of 1/900th (says on their spec page). But if I were to just use the 1/4th slot on the bi-tube like I said I would think it would double in speed but that is what I am confused about.

In the end it seems not many people use this pack for sports related stuff and I guess I won't get my answer till I talk to a tech on monday.

J ­ Rabin
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 03, 2009 23:26 as a reply to  @ Sauk's post |  #6

I went through less mental contortion when choosing pack and head. Ended up going with Dyna-Lite pack and head for all metal construction, asymmetric and symmetric output choices, built-in Pocket Wizard, and other reasons. But, for value the PCB Zeus offers a lot of value. Plug compatible with Dyna-Lite gear. Jack

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2009 13:00 |  #7

Update to the situation...

Ok well I called again this morning. The tech I talked to was very very nice and willing to sit there and listen to me moan and groan a little about what happened. He is also researching some of the questions I had about using different setup's for flash durations.

Let me make this clear for those of you that might think about purchasing this setup. When using the slider to adjust power your flash durations will get LONGER. Again they will get LONGER not shorter.

If you use the switch (full power, 3:1, 1/4th) your flash durations will get SHORTER.

If your like me and purchase the bi-tubes you can purchase a ZYXT converter which will take your A and B plugs and turn them into one socket. That way you can plug your bi-tube head into either the 3:1 or 1/4th area and get faster durations while still using BOTH tubes. So if you use that ZYXT and set the single socket into the 3:1 your going to get around 930 watts (or so) which divided by two tubes is around 450ws of power.

Which will mean a much faster flash duration than 1/900th which you get when using the full 1250 pack of power. I would assume since your seeing around 600ws in each tube on full power and getting 1/900th you will see around 1/1200 or higher when using the ZYXT at 3:1 ratio and getting 400 or so watts.

The person who I talked to said he would get me the numbers here today.

But when using the bi-tube, ZYXT tool and putting it on the 1/4th socket your going to get a t1 over 1/2100 of a second (Around 312ws total which is equal to a B800 strobe) which is extremely fast and double the speed of a B800 strobe at full power!

Anyways when I get the numbers from this very nice tech I will post them.

By the way I will also add that I tested this pack out at full power and like someone posted it sounds like a small 22 rifle going off! lol Not kidding either.

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2009 13:01 |  #8

Ok some more information on this in case anyone every wants to know.

Using the 1250 pack and having that Y adaptor (enables both flash tubes to fire from a single socket) with the switch set to 3:1 your T1 will be 1/1250th of a second.

With it plugged into the 1/4th socket your T1 will be around 1/2180 (312ws or a B800 strobe).

Now using the 2500 pack your going to look at around half of whatever the 1250 is showing.

So at 1/4th power on the 2500 pack your looking at a T1 in the ballpark of 1/1000th of a second (612ws or equal to a B1600).

Again these numbers are using a bi-tube with a ZYXT connector.

I would assume on the 2500 pack at 3:1 your looking at around 1/800th for a T1.

J ­ Rabin
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 07, 2009 14:13 as a reply to  @ Sauk's post |  #9

Told you it sounded like a .22. You thought I was kidding?
I went with Dyna-Lite, because of integrated reflector on the 2050 head, and frosted protection dome on 4040 and bi-tube heads. They are close in performance. I'm happy with that choice. There is a lot of value in the PCB gear. Have fun blasting out the light. Jack.

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2009 14:19 |  #10

I actually believe I can shoot dyna-lite heads with the Zeus packs. Not sure which ones but I thought I read that somewhere.

J ­ Rabin
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 07, 2009 15:50 |  #11

Sauk wrote in post #7025500 (external link)
I actually believe I can shoot dyna-lite heads with the Zeus packs. Not sure which ones but I thought I read that somewhere.

They are plug and voltage compatible. I really like the 2040 heads because they are so portable on location. No reflector to mess with. Make nice light. Always see like new copies on fleaBay.

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 12, 2009 22:02 |  #12

Where do you get these ZYXT connectors at?

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 12, 2009 22:14 |  #13

Jon,

Ok what I found out was that they will not sell them. There were issues with the pack failing when using it.

Adama
215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 03, 2010 23:15 |  #14

Sauk, how did these work out for you in terms of using them for strobing sports? I'm looking into getting pack and head set ups for indoor sports that recycle fast and have short flash durations. My conclusion was that I just couldn't get above 1/1000 duration ideally without sacrificing something with the Zeus packs before I read this.

Leaning towards going mono and simply nabbing some SB800s for now.

1D Mark III - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - 24-70mm f/2.8 L - 50mm f/1.4 - 580EX II
flickr (external link)
http://www.alexpylyshy​n.com (external link)

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 04, 2010 09:59 |  #15

Depending on how much power vs. T1 flash duration you need, you also might want to look at the Einsteins.
You can also connect Zeus heads to Dynalite packs which have faster flash durations as you lower power (opposite of what Zeus packs do)...

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

sponsored links

4,387 views & 0 likes for this thread
Questions about Zeus Power Packs and Bi-Tubes...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.