Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jun 2010 (Friday) 06:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85 1.8/135l or 100l macro?

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 04, 2010 06:44 |  #1

I currently own the 85 1.8 and the 135L.
I've been after another macro lens for a while (used to own the Sigma 150mm).* The canon 100L seems to fit the bill, however, I can't really afford to buy this without selling other lenses.* Would I be crazy to sell both the 85mm and 135L for this lens?
The FL is pretty close to both, so I doubt I'd miss the FL of either; however, I do worry that I'll miss the DOF both of these offer (love shooting wide open).* The 100L has a 4 stop IS, so it wouldn't suffer in low light situations.
I guess the other option would be to only sell the 135L and keep the 85 for low light, my issue here is that 100mm and 85mm are too close.
These are being used on a 40 and 7D.
Thanks
Ross

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

sponsored links
EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 04, 2010 06:50 |  #2

If you really want a dedicated macro, I'd simply sell the lens you use the least. I like the 85 and 135 range and ended up selling my 100 2.8 macro (non L) because I never used the 100mm range. Also, macro to me was simply a short MFD. I never spent the time to develop a set up like some of the shots that are posted here. I purchased tubes that I use with my 85 and 135. I don't think I'd sell the 135L. Every time I pull that lens out, I wonder why I don't use it even more. The results I get are wonderful.If you must sell somthing, I'd get rid of the 85 1.8.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France

Jun 04, 2010 06:54 |  #3

Ross_Curtis wrote in post #10300831 (external link)
I currently own the 85 1.8 and the 135L.
I've been after another macro lens for a while (used to own the Sigma 150mm).* The canon 100L seems to fit the bill, however, I can't really afford to buy this without selling other lenses.* Would I be crazy to sell both the 85mm and 135L for this lens?
The FL is pretty close to both, so I doubt I'd miss the FL of either; however, I do worry that I'll miss the DOF both of these offer (love shooting wide open).* The 100L has a 4 stop IS, so it wouldn't suffer in low light situations.
I guess the other option would be to only sell the 135L and keep the 85 for low light, my issue here is that 100mm and 85mm are too close.
These are being used on a 40 and 7D.
Thanks
Ross

Ross, just buy some extension tubes and use them on the 85mm. Its sooo much cheaper and it will allow you to keep both.

Simple.

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

Ross_Curtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 04, 2010 08:08 |  #4

I'd not considered extension tubes. No idea why, that does make sense though.
Do you have any examples with ext tubes?

Thanks

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 04, 2010 08:13 |  #5

Ross_Curtis wrote in post #10301115 (external link)
I'd not considered extension tubes. No idea why, that does make sense though.
Do you have any examples with ext tubes?

Thanks

I did. I shall have to do my best to find my old topic. Im useless with macro!

From what I remember, 85mm with 65mm worth of extension tubes

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Pins from a HDD
IMAGE NOT FOUND

This was 65mm worth of extensions on a 50mm 1.8
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

Ross_Curtis
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 04, 2010 09:37 |  #6

That's impressive. Thanks for the examples.

Time to get myself a set.

Ross

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 04, 2010 09:39 |  #7

No worries.

Go for the cheapest set. If you want AF, you can find those on ebay. AF WILL hunt quite badly with tubes so best to go MF and gently rock your body instead.

The tubes are hollow so cheaper will not mean too good to be true. ;)

carguy4471
464 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 04, 2010 10:03 |  #8

I just ordered the Pro Optic set off adorama.com for $49. Zero complaints. AF is a wank, but that's true of any tubes from what I've read. They work great on my 50mm f/1.8II and my 55-250mm.

Duane
GEAR - FLICKr (external link) - SmugMug (external link):p

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 04, 2010 10:04 |  #9

If you don't use your 135L much, I'll look forward to seeing it in the for sale section :p

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 04, 2010 10:08 as a reply to  @ [Hyuni]'s post |  #10

I sold the 100 macro and bought the Kenko tube set as well. Here's a few test shots I took as soon as I received them. Shot with the 85L.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i128.photobucke​t.com …/ExtensionTubee​xample.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i128.photobucke​t.com …xtensionTubeexa​mple-2.jpg (external link)

There are limitations that tubes have over a dedicated macro such as focusing distance, but I was never big into macro. I simply wanted a lens that provided me a short MFD. I did not want to give up either the 85 or 135 range (or the quality of the lenses) and I rarely used the 100mm. The tubes are a good compromise.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

sponsored links

1,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
85 1.8/135l or 100l macro?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.