Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jun 2010 (Friday) 12:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cleaning sensor, lenses and filters

jurgenph
231 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 04, 2010 12:37 |  #1

well, it has been a little over two years now since i got my 1st DSLR (40D)
and i never really thought that i had to clean my sensor, i don't change lenses that often, and when i do, i try to do it inside the house before i go out.

until a few days ago, i spotted a spec of dust in one of my images that i took at f/8

did a test at f/16 pointing to the sky, and... well, there were a ton of little specs, with the biggest one being the spec i spotted first.

guess the self cleaning sensor doesn't clean off everything.

so i decided it's time to give everything a nice cleaning myself.

i'm about to order the following things, please let me know if i'm missing anythnig, or if i'm ordering something that i really don't need or if there is a better alternative for it.

- Sensor Swab Type 2 (Box of 12)
- Eclipse Cleaning System Solution
- PEC-PAD Lint Free Wipes 4"x4" 100per/Pkg
- LensPEN Lens Cleaning System
- Giottos Rocket Air Blaster Large

thanks!
J.

40D, 15-85mm IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.8II, 430exII, kenko 1.4tc

sponsored links
Chad33055
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 04, 2010 14:42 |  #2

Good luck with that. I'm new too and made the mistake of trying to clean it myself. Good thing I have a photo repair shop 10 min away.

They clean my sensors for 50 bucks with a 3 mon warranty.

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 04, 2010 14:45 |  #3

unless you're absolutely confident in doing it, STOP! or at least thats what ive been telling myself :)

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

jurgenph
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 04, 2010 14:56 |  #4

bongEstrella wrote in post #10303308 (external link)
unless you're absolutely confident in doing it, STOP! or at least thats what ive been telling myself :)

i've seen a video of someone doing it, didn't look that hard.

J.

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 04, 2010 17:27 |  #5

i think your all set with that list you got there. just make sure your careful and you should be all good.

on a side note is the sensor cleaning solution usable on lenses as well? ive just used a lenspen and was thinking about getting some pec-pads and solution to properly wet clean my lens and was just wondering if lenses require different cleaning solution.... i assume they do?

oh and OP i made a thread about sensor cleaning with a video.... this video clearly shows exactly how to clean a sensor:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=880036

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

jurgenph
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 04, 2010 18:21 |  #6

JayStar86 wrote in post #10304257 (external link)
on a side note is the sensor cleaning solution usable on lenses as well? ive just used a lenspen and was thinking about getting some pec-pads and solution to properly wet clean my lens and was just wondering if lenses require different cleaning solution.... i assume they do?

i believe it works for lenses and filters too. i intend to use it that way as well.
start with the pads and solution. then give it a finishing touch with the lens pen.

JayStar86 wrote in post #10304257 (external link)
oh and OP i made a thread about sensor cleaning with a video.... this video clearly shows exactly how to clean a sensor:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=880036

that was the video i found as well.

J.

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 04, 2010 18:52 |  #7

jurgenph wrote in post #10304496 (external link)
i believe it works for lenses and filters too. i intend to use it that way as well.
start with the pads and solution. then give it a finishing touch with the lens pen.

that was the video i found as well.

J.

cool. have fun cleaning, lol!

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 04, 2010 20:10 |  #8

lols JayStar, i watched the video like an hour ago thinking it was actually you haha

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 04, 2010 22:04 |  #9

Chad33055 wrote in post #10303286 (external link)
Good luck with that. I'm new too and made the mistake of trying to clean it myself. Good thing I have a photo repair shop 10 min away.

They clean my sensors for 50 bucks with a 3 mon warranty.

Don't be fearful in the future, cleaning your sensor is nothing to be afraid of. With the right tools, of which there are many, it's quie easy. My preference is the DustAid Platinum cleaning mehtod as well as using a nylon brush. Both are very effective, as are swabs when a wet cleaning method is needed. The first thing you do is to try to dislodge the dust with a rocket blower - hold the camera facing down while in sensor cleaning mode and blow the dust with the rocket blower. If that doesn't work, then another method such as a nylon brush is in order.

I did a workshop for my local photo group on sensor cleaning (as well as lenses and camera bodies). I and another member must have cleaned at least 30 sensors that night for members.

JayStar86
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 05, 2010 00:08 |  #10

bongEstrella wrote in post #10304906 (external link)
lols JayStar, i watched the video like an hour ago thinking it was actually you haha

hahaha, thats awesome. no that is not me!

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2010 01:10 |  #11

What are you getting on your lenses and filters that they need more than a simple blow-off or wipe with a microfiber cloth?

bokchoi
167 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 05, 2010 01:14 |  #12

Cleaning a sensor requires care and a light touch, but it's far from brain surgery, and not really a service I think is worth paying for.

I've had very good luck with the LensPen SensorKlear; I find it's a good alternative to wet-cleaning methods, as I'm a bit scared of sticking wet things into the mirror box and having liquid seep under the filter. It was very effective in removing the oil sling on my 40D's sensor on the first cleaning, but I have only used it about 4 or 5 times since (the manufacturers say that this type of cleaning generally helps dissipate static charge and increases the interval between cleanings, but I think this claim may be slightly exaggerated). They say you should dispose of it after 50 cleanings or so, but for the $12 or so it costs, I would just toss it after 25.

sponsored links

1,320 views & 0 likes for this thread
cleaning sensor, lenses and filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.