Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 22 Jan 2010 (Friday) 03:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN Aussie Club #8 - Einsteins won't make you smart

this thread is locked
mickeyjuice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 05, 2010 06:19 |  #8221
bannedPermanent ban

Was back at PMA today, didn't see AZ, but apart from missing that highlight, it was much better overall.

Mostly hung with Richard, as Al kept disappearing to do his own thing.

Checked out the Topaz demo again - pretty impressive. Looked at the Nik demo again as well, but wasn't as impressed by them.

Looked at the ThinkTank exhibit, but didn't get the opportunity to mess with the head of the weirdo running it :-(

Went to the Jerry Ghionis workshop at the Seldex stand - they had a couple of wireless mics, and both only worked intermittently, which made it a bit of a pain, and didn't speak well of their preparation. Also, his MacBook stopped working, which led to a bunch of example-type demos - posing, etc - which were great. Thanks Apple!

I was, however, an example overweight Jerry Ghionis bride, which I suspect makes me the only one in this forum.

Then it was off to the Yervant talk upstairs - got some good info, but also took away the impression that he is a total tool. Spent WAY too much time sucking up to Apple during the talk, which became less vomit-inducing and more ironic when later in the demo when his MBP couldn't cope with something simple and he had to make excuses for it and move on. He said some good stuff, but is vastly self-impressed.

Also went to a Shelton Muller workshop and shot a beautiful bride:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4671558472_891269c89e_b.jpg

We printed them out and put them on the Kodak Wall - we could win a prize! Doubt I will, though...

I like Shelton - he's a really good instructor.

So, much better today, but I would have left Yervant after about 10 minutes if I wasn't trapped in the middle of a row.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

sponsored links
BOSS
Gone, but not forgotten
2,610 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 05, 2010 06:27 as a reply to  @ mickeyjuice's post |  #8222
bannedPermanent ban

@juice, that is a beautiful shot, definitely got to be a winner or so close its not funny.
I love everything about it the light the colour mate its a winner in my book.

Interesting the number of tools you get at these PMA things.

John
The more I know people the more I love my dogs.
Canon 400D 18-55,75-300,60 macro, 24-105L 100-400L IS,580EXII, 430EX,tripod,monopod plus lots more
SPQR

amsm
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 05, 2010 06:41 |  #8223

tupper wrote in post #10305346 (external link)
heading off to Alaska -> NY -> Houston -> San Fran soon, my last big Holiday before i move back to Aus next year! Super excited about that.

Alaska is awesome. I would love to go back with the DSLR, although the 400+ 35mm slides still look mighty fine when I can be bothered to drag out the screen and projector

S7000 wrote in post #10306087 (external link)
Vivid tax:

Nice tax Phil.

mickeyjuice wrote in post #10306500 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Lovely !

Edit: So it was way too wet today to even think about getting the 1D MkII and 70-200 f4 out of the truck. Cold and wet watching soccer, with water trickling down inside the neck of the driza-bone..forgot me damn hat :(

Andrew
1D Mk II * 70-200 f/4L * 70-200 f2.8/L * 28-70 f/2.8L * Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro * Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EXDC * Kenko 2X TC * 430EX * IXUS 500 * Powershot S50 + Underwater housing * AE1+, Sigma 50 f1.4, Kiron 80 - 210
Redbubble (external link) | Picasaweb (external link) | Great Ocean Road (external link) | When to use than and when to use then (external link)

mickeyjuice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 05, 2010 07:13 |  #8224
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks guys.

It might be a little hot on the forehead, but I still like it.

(This is a little different to the one on the Wall, which was SOOC - I took it into PS, added a layer with Topaz Adjust for a bit of skin smoothing - but not much different.)

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

AdamC
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 05, 2010 07:23 as a reply to  @ mickeyjuice's post |  #8225

ofdphoto wrote in post #10300418 (external link)
Adam: dragonimage is based in Sydney, I think. Pretty sure they have a retail space.

Old Fart wrote in post #10304202 (external link)
http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng/default​.asp (external link) has a storefront in Sydney.

Cheers.

In other news, I fondled a 5D2 for the first time today. Couldn't shoot with it as it was new in the shop and she asked me not to, but it was verrrry nice. Felt good and wasn't as bulky or heavy as I was expecting.

[gallery (external link)|gear|flickr (external link)|blog (external link)]

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,744 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 05, 2010 08:15 |  #8226

Got out into the National Park with the intention of maybe getting some flora shots in. Ended up standing on the side of the road on the outside of a nice corner practicing some panning technique. Still need lots of practice ?!

Gear List

malakite
677 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 05, 2010 12:09 |  #8227

@ juice : another wow from me on the bride pic. Very nice.

S90 Roadworks tax; only a few metres from the end of my driveway :mad:

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1303/4671619317_92979d10bb_b.jpg

I own a magical box that captures light!
Flickr (external link)

mickeyjuice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 05, 2010 16:50 |  #8228
bannedPermanent ban

malakite wrote in post #10307529 (external link)
@ juice : another wow from me on the bride pic. Very nice.

S90 Roadworks tax; only a few metres from the end of my driveway :mad:

Cheers for that.

Gotta love that S90!

Here's an interesting BTS video: http://www.benjaminkan​arekblog.com …-ulan-bator-vogue-brasil/ (external link)

DAdeGroot
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 05, 2010 17:00 |  #8229

mickeyjuice wrote in post #10306500 (external link)
Was back at PMA today, didn't see AZ, but apart from missing that highlight, it was much better overall.

Mostly hung with Richard, as Al kept disappearing to do his own thing.

Also went to a Shelton Muller workshop and shot a beautiful bride:

QUOTED IMAGE

We printed them out and put them on the Kodak Wall - we could win a prize! Doubt I will, though...

I like Shelton - he's a really good instructor.

time to take up weddings Mic ;-)a

Any bride would be happy with results like that.

Dave
http://www.degrootphot​ography.com.au/ (external link)
http://www.digitalphot​ographycourses.com.au/ (external link)
Gear List
Quae narravi, nullo modo negabo!

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 05, 2010 22:10 as a reply to  @ DAdeGroot's post |  #8230

Afternoon all, beautiful afternoon here too =]

I'm looking at purchasing some studio lighting gear as I've been getting a few requests from the parents of the aerobics competitions I've been shooting and parents from the school my mother works at for some studio images of their kids.

I've been looking at the D-Lite IT 4 kit from Elinchrom but today noticed that they have a sale on the BXRI 500/500 with the 100cm Rotalux Octa @ $1991. This is well within my budget and was just wondering if the extra $800ish for the Octa and the BXRI over the D-Lite 4 IT is worth it?

Cheers in advance

Luke

Luke,
http://www.facebook.co​m/Twoshoesphoto (external link)

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 05, 2010 22:14 |  #8231

You're going to get a lot of opinions here about studio lighting, Luke :lol: Wait for it, it'll come.

mickeyjuice
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 05, 2010 22:21 |  #8232
bannedPermanent ban

Luke, do you always have power available? That's probably the first question.

If not, you'll need to go to a head/pack or an external battery, and not all monolights work well with external batts.

TwoShoes
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 06, 2010 01:24 as a reply to  @ mickeyjuice's post |  #8233

I'm planning on the Vagabond II to partner either choice as I've been reading (on the lighting forums here) that it powers two D-Lite 400s fine and even two BXRi500's.

Most of the time i'll have direct power available but i'd like to do family portraits etc on the surrounding beaches, where I hope the Vagabond will be sufficient.

Luke,
http://www.facebook.co​m/Twoshoesphoto (external link)

niqqunos
650 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2010 05:06 |  #8234

Mate's band recording tax:

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1275/4674422096_f068c96b78_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4673798519_62c1a8fb66_b.jpg

Daniel Kell
Gear List | [danielkellphotography​] (external link) | my Flickr (external link) | citiesoftherednight (external link)

Scott ­ H
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 06, 2010 05:23 |  #8235

Sad afternoon for me. Being a bird lover and a big fan of all Aussie parrots, I unfortunately came across a couple getting out of their 4WD looking rather puzzled at a stowaway Blue-cheeked Rosella that was pinned under their roof racks / cargo rack. It appeared that they had clipped him while at speed and he was just pinned there for the ride.

The bird looked quite distressed / injured and the couple looked even more so because they obviously have never handled birds before and looked a little awkward. I volunteered to get a hold of him and after getting the bird out, it obviously didnt look like it was in a good way, so we wandered around looking for a vet the the little town of Hahndorf. No luck, so we drove back to Adelaide and ended up taking the little critter to the Animal Emergency centre who took him in and I found out later that he had a fractured wing and had to be put down.

Sad. The poor thing had heaps of fight left in him, and got a few lucky bites in while I was trying to handle him. My fingers are still sore.

-Scott

-Scott. My Smugmug (external link)
I shoot with a Canon 7D

sponsored links

457,595 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN Aussie Club #8 - Einsteins won't make you smart
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.