Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 03 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My FIRST shoot

kevlarrr
252 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 03, 2010 20:34 |  #1

My 3rd flash and radio triggers finally arrived last week so had my first shoot with Uja, a good friend of mine. Just finished working on the first pic so thought I'd share it with you guys. I know there are several things wrong with the pic (chopped right hand, harsh light etc)... but please let me know what ya'll think :)

Ps: could this be called glamor?:)

IMAGE: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Ey4v71pldcg/TAhVPTBHxrI/AAAAAAAAOnY/DmPVYs-cfvA/s720/_MG_4402_pp.jpg

My Gear: Canon 7D, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 17-40 L f/4, 30 f/1.4, Flashpoint II 320m, 430EX II, YN-460 II, RF-602

sponsored links
BrandyJackson
64 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 03, 2010 20:52 |  #2

I like it!

B$

710 ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,786 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Jun 03, 2010 20:53 |  #3

Along with the chopped off right hand, you also chopped off her rear and her legs at a very awkward place. I would have preferred to see her framed a little higher to include more of her in the photo. Especially those legs. Her legs could very much be an asset to the photo - include them! =]

Other than that, the left side of the photo looks more washed out than the right. That kind of distracts me, drawing my attention off her face and more to the light source, just off camera left. I would invest in some barn doors, or a gobo of some sort to direct the light to your model, while blocking the stray light from hitting the lens (which creates the wash out).

Don't get me wrong... I am loving what I am seeing. I'd love to see more. You've got the chops... can't wait to see what you do with it!

=--My Gear List --=
Find me at:
Website (external link)| Flickr (external link)| DeviantArt (external link) | Facebook (external link)

kevlarrr
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 03, 2010 21:03 |  #4

710 Studio wrote in post #10298868 (external link)
Along with the chopped off right hand, you also chopped off her rear and her legs at a very awkward place. I would have preferred to see her framed a little higher to include more of her in the photo. Especially those legs. Her legs could very much be an asset to the photo - include them! =]

Other than that, the left side of the photo looks more washed out than the right. That kind of distracts me, drawing my attention off her face and more to the light source, just off camera left. I would invest in some barn doors, or a gobo of some sort to direct the light to your model, while blocking the stray light from hitting the lens (which creates the wash out).

Don't get me wrong... I am loving what I am seeing. I'd love to see more. You've got the chops... can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks for the pointers, appreciate it. Sadly the crop is straight off the camera, so I lost the hand etc. This was actually a test shot for the lighting and is the best of the series :(

I actually added a bit of flare on the left cause I kinda liked the effect...if its too distracting, I'll probably get rid of it. But yes, I need to get me some stuff for blocking the stray light.

Thanks

My Gear: Canon 7D, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 17-40 L f/4, 30 f/1.4, Flashpoint II 320m, 430EX II, YN-460 II, RF-602

710 ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,786 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Jun 03, 2010 21:06 |  #5

kevlarrr wrote in post #10298931 (external link)
Thanks for the pointers, appreciate it. Sadly the crop is straight off the camera, so I lost the hand etc. This was actually a test shot for the lighting and is the best of the series :(

I actually added a bit of flare on the left cause I kinda liked the effect...if its too distracting, I'll probably get rid of it. But yes, I need to get me some stuff for blocking the stray light.

Thanks

I recently invested in some light modification. By far, my favorite modifier is the barn door. SO much control! Oh... and take my pointers with a grain of salt. Art is in the eye of the beholder. As long as the artist and the client are both satisfied, it really doesn't matter much what a third party thinks! =]

=--My Gear List --=
Find me at:
Website (external link)| Flickr (external link)| DeviantArt (external link) | Facebook (external link)

samurairx7
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 03, 2010 21:44 |  #6

for some reason this reminds me of swordfish lol nj

kevlarrr
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 05, 2010 15:59 |  #7

710 Studio wrote in post #10298948 (external link)
I recently invested in some light modification. By far, my favorite modifier is the barn door. SO much control! Oh... and take my pointers with a grain of salt. Art is in the eye of the beholder. As long as the artist and the client are both satisfied, it really doesn't matter much what a third party thinks! =]

Yes she loved it so that in turn made me happy, being my first shoot n all :)

Heres another one I just finished with...what do ya'll think???

IMAGE: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Ey4v71pldcg/TAq6ChuIMTI/AAAAAAAAOo4/qcfTywOzc3E/s512/_MG_4492_pp.jpg

Slicer
748 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 05, 2010 16:45 |  #8

^ works for me. I like this kinda stuff. Have you tried it with select saturation boosted also?...just curious

Flickr  (external link)\/ Twitter (external link) \/ Facebook (external link) \/ Web (external link) \/Google+ (external link)

kevlarrr
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 05, 2010 16:50 |  #9

Slicer wrote in post #10308623 (external link)
^ works for me. I like this kinda stuff. Have you tried it with select saturation boosted also?...just curious

I did try but didnt workout well with this particular pic...

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 05, 2010 22:02 |  #10

kevlarrr wrote in post #10308413 (external link)
Heres another one I just finished with...what do ya'll think???

Everything seems to blend into itself, it all looks the same, same contrast, etc. which doesn't make the subject stand out at all. She looks like a mannequin, lifeless. That's what I see.

kevlarrr
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 05, 2010 22:09 |  #11

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #10309864 (external link)
Everything seems to blend into itself, it all looks the same, same contrast, etc. which doesn't make the subject stand out at all. She looks like a mannequin, lifeless. That's what I see.

That bad huh....so what do you suggest to improve it...probably make the background darker?

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 06, 2010 11:56 |  #12

kevlarrr wrote in post #10309890 (external link)
That bad huh....so what do you suggest to improve it...probably make the background darker?

In general I don't like non-traditional "look" processing. I prefer my photographs to look like photographs and not a painting or photoshop art.

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 06, 2010 13:25 |  #13

I think that first shot is really nice. The light passing through the chair is an interesting idea...

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 06, 2010 13:31 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #14

Regarding the second photo, I think it's great... Although I do have an art background. Develop your own style, that what will set you apart from the others.

Can't wait to see more of your work.

kevlarrr
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 06, 2010 13:58 |  #15

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #10312296 (external link)
In general I don't like non-traditional "look" processing. I prefer my photographs to look like photographs and not a painting or photoshop art.

I totally respect your views on such kind of effects but I on the other hand like this kind of look. I saw something similar to this here and had to try it out myself :)

sebr wrote in post #10312726 (external link)
I think that first shot is really nice. The light passing through the chair is an interesting idea...

TroyRaymond wrote in post #10312752 (external link)
Regarding the second photo, I think it's great... Although I do have an art background. Develop your own style, that what will set you apart from the others.

Can't wait to see more of your work.

Thanks for the positive comments!! Appritiate it :D

sponsored links

3,356 views & 0 likes for this thread
My FIRST shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.