Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Jun 2010 (Sunday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

levels in DPP

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 06, 2010 15:51 |  #1

Hello folks.
In Gimp and other editing programs, there is a "levels" tool with 3 sliders: dark, light, and midtones. I find that a lot easier to use than the curve. I'm surprised that DPP doesn't have that same thing. In the RAW section of the Tool Palette, there's a sort of levels tool (with a histogram) but no midtones slider.

I'd be curious to know how folks use DPP to adjust their levels.

Thanks

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,472 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 06, 2010 16:16 |  #2

As you seem to have discovered you set the levels (black point and white point) by pulling in the margins of the "RAW" histogram. To duplicate the effect of the middle (gamma) slider, simply click dead center on the RGB histogram and drag the drag point straight to the right or to the left. It is no harder to do than using a slider. However, that is the simplest, most basic thing you can do with a curve editor and if you don't advance beyond that you will be missing a lot.

Elie / אלי

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 06, 2010 16:24 |  #3

tzalman wrote in post #10313370 (external link)
To duplicate the effect of the middle (gamma) slider, simply click dead center on the RGB histogram and drag the drag point straight to the right or to the left.

When I try that, nothing happens; there is no drag point, either before or after I click. (Actually tried that before making my original post.) I've clicked all around on the histogram and nothing changes.:(

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,472 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 06, 2010 17:01 |  #4

Are you clicking on the RGB (second tab) histogram? Well not on the histogram itself since it is subimposed (opposite of superimposed) behind the curve editor. Click on the center of the diagonal line.

Elie / אלי

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 06, 2010 18:56 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #5

Oh, no, I was in the RAW tab.
Yes, I knew that I could move the curve. So I guess the answer to my original question is that you use the curve.
I know that you can do a lot with it, and I've played with it but it's just that it's kind of overwhelming. Digital processing in general is overwhelming because there's so much that you can do! Sometimes I feel like I'm standing in the middle of a toy store trying to look at everything at once, and my head is about to spin off my shoulders! So I guess when you're overwhelmed there's a lot to be said for simplicity, like a levels tool that only has 3 sliders.:p
Thanks.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,472 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 07, 2010 03:58 |  #6

Challenges bring growth. OMG, I can't believe I wrote that!
8)

Elie / אלי

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 07, 2010 04:01 |  #7

tzalman wrote in post #10316275 (external link)
8)

Believe it you did.;)

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 07, 2010 10:08 |  #8

tzalman wrote in post #10316275 (external link)
8)

Ewwwww...:p

sponsored links

1,617 views & 0 likes for this thread
levels in DPP
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.