Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 14:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #278 - Dance

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 07, 2010 20:02 as a reply to  @ post 10319937 |  #16

Wonderful topic, Car. I just wish I had the photos to match it. I'll have do my best to capture some ballet dancers doing their practice pirouettes or an American Indian eagle dance before a huge fire. I love dancing. I enjoy watching dance. And like the winning photo, I really enjoy watching the ladies dance.

Learned something during this challenge, I can't trust the monitor on my primary computer where I do my editing. Not until I viewed my troll doing his jig on some other screens did I notice the level of noise. I spent more time trying to clean it up and asked my family what they thought and they weren't biting so I went a different direction.

Wonderful photos, winners! Congrats!

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1292/4672110503_68e35ed1c2_b.jpg

kevan's lens (external link)

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,748 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 08, 2010 00:23 |  #17

Congrats afkenner, Janine and Andrew for the top photos! FUN challenge, Carolyn.... I have been out of town on vacation and had to pull from my archives this time.

Looking forward to warming up my Pro1 for the next one.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 08, 2010 01:29 |  #18

Hi, and a big 'well done' to all participants. A rather tricky subject. Dance involves movement, not easy to portray on a 'still' image. Great to see so many wonderful images around this theme. All the best...

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

rpolitsr
Cream of the Crop
5,983 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 08, 2010 01:50 |  #19

Interesting dancers on every picture. Nice idea, Car but a difficult theme for me.
This time I was lucky, I shot the dancers on a Mother's Day celebration on May 23

Congratulations afkenner, Jannie and andrewaaa5 for the top three.

Thank you for the extra info, afkenner, and for the fountain's panorama link too.

Nice to see your picture in the challenges again Andrew, no questions asked :)

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 08, 2010 02:23 |  #20

rpolitsr wrote in post #10322598 (external link)
Nice to see your picture in the challenges again Andrew, no questions asked :)

thanks. you're image contained much movement. really good.

no questions asked? you are not wondering if the 'pogo' is a dance? well, I wonder the same thing...

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 08, 2010 04:14 as a reply to  @ andrewaaa5's post |  #21

:)

Congratulations to the winner Afkenner
& Congratulations to runners up # 2 Jannie and # 3 Andrew

:cool:

all the pictures are lovely and interesting different versions of dance
Andrew, that fellow at the back in your capture is either feeling very cold or dreaming he is holding his sweetheart :lol:
(mind he doesn't stand on anything sharper than himself )
(joke)
:eek:
lol

you knew the 'let it all hang out' shot would cause grins all over
lol

:cool:(seems the photographer must have kept his head (etc) anyway)

:p

Thank you very much Carolyn for hosting and judging
a lovely idea

:cool:

Congrats all

: )

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 08, 2010 04:14 |  #22

afkenner wrote in post #10320907 (external link)
WOW! Thank you Carolyn! Congratulations to Jannie and andrewaaa5, both are great shots and either could easily have been the winner. Props to the rest of the entrants for some very nice and varied photos on this lovely theme.

A little background on the "Three Dancing Maidens" and how I came to have taken that photo one day before this challenge was posted.

That sculpture and fountain is found in NY City's Conservatory Garden (external link) - a formal garden in Central Park with a main gate entrance on Fifth Avenue and 105th Street. This beautiful garden has three distinct sections - English to the south, Italian in the center and French to the north. The Maidens fountain is in the center of the French section.

Although I have always lived near (or in) NY City, I had never even HEARD of the Conservatory Garden until I saw a post about it a few weeks ago on a favorite photoblog, New York Daily Photo (external link), where I learn so much about the history and culture of the City while looking at some terrific photos. After I saw photos of the garden and read more about it, I had to see it for myself so I visited on Sunday and shot this photo of the Maidens fountain.

Here's a 360-degree view (external link) of the French garden with the Maidens fountain (not my photo)

If you live in the area or plan to visit NYC, I highly recommend this beautiful location. The Conservatory Garden (external link) is a true NY treasure, and one of its best-kept secrets as well.

There is another beautiful sculpture in the English garden - the Secret Garden fountain:

: )

Congratulations Af

great info. many thanks
I visited New York ( & Central Park) a few times but this place will be added for sure in any future visits , should it happen.
my brother will be visiting next week but not sure he will get a chance to see this part of the park. love the quality and effect in the portrayal of your image. its a beautifully sculptured and delicate type of 'monument'.
must be a favourite among visitors & viewers

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 08, 2010 04:15 |  #23

Kevan_G9 wrote in post #10320913 (external link)
Wonderful topic, Car. I just wish I had the photos to match it. I'll have do my best to capture some ballet dancers doing their practice pirouettes or an American Indian eagle dance before a huge fire. I love dancing. I enjoy watching dance. And like the winning photo, I really enjoy watching the ladies dance.

Learned something during this challenge, I can't trust the monitor on my primary computer where I do my editing. Not until I viewed my troll doing his jig on some other screens did I notice the level of noise. I spent more time trying to clean it up and asked my family what they thought and they weren't biting so I went a different direction.

Wonderful photos, winners! Congrats!

QUOTED IMAGE

thats a great shot. like magic floating out of the tunnel :cool: had lots of dance pictures too, but taken with my other camera

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105

mrshobden
464 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 08, 2010 07:39 |  #24

Congrats to all. Didn't have time to enter this week although I had ideas floating around but didn't get a chance to pursue them!
Kevan - I loved your troll photo...totally original !! Also I was impressed by Michael Wells image too ...great capture.
Andrew's shot made me smile too - love the facial expressions! and yes, Pogo was/is a sort of dance but perhaps in the same vein as punk is music?! My father always said that punk rock suited me because I could "sing" along and still be in tune!!! :)

Linda

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2010 09:38 |  #25

mrshobden wrote in post #10323485 (external link)
Kevan - I loved your troll photo...totally original !!

Thank you Linda, but now that I'm here at the office looking at the photo on a Dell flat panel, it seems way too blue. If it's not one thing, it's another...Aghhh!!!! I think it's time to upgrade the home pc from a tube monitor and get a flat panel.

afkenner
318 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2010 10:28 |  #26

Kevan_G9 wrote in post #10324132 (external link)
Thank you Linda, but now that I'm here at the office looking at the photo on a Dell flat panel, it seems way too blue. If it's not one thing, it's another...Aghhh!!!! I think it's time to upgrade the home pc from a tube monitor and get a flat panel.

I also liked your original picture and wondered why you changed it. The deep blue worked great for the mood of the picture! But if it wasn't intentionally blue, you probably do want to adjust something...

Experimenting with: WP Photoblog (external link) | Zenphoto (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Canon 7D, Zooms, Primes, Macro, 580EXII, 430EX, G12, IXUS 75; Tamron 17-50; Sigma 30 f1.4 & EF 530 DG Super; eBay Triggers & DIY lighting paraphernalia.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 08, 2010 10:45 as a reply to  @ Kevan's post |  #27

Congratulatons to AfKenner - that's one beautiful sculpture that captures "dance" perfectly.

As other have remarked, dance is a tough subject to photo since its beauty is based on movement and sound. I have been coerced many times into taking photos of Scottish Country dancing and have yet to get an image that is worth printing. When frozen in time, half the participants always have their backs to the camera and the rest just look awkward.

I really liked Jim's "First Dance", which I assume was taken at a wedding and captured a tender and informal moment very well.

But Andrew's "pogo" shot, although not pretty, and hardly even "dance", is a real stunner - right up there, in my opinion, with the famously disturbing work of Diane Arbus. At first, I thought the figure on the left was a female instructor teaching the twist to the guy in the middle, but then I saw the hairy chest. And the guy on the right is another reason to be left wondering about this image. This is one to print big and hang on a wall, Andrew!

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2010 10:48 |  #28

afkenner wrote in post #10324410 (external link)
I also liked your original picture and wondered why you changed it. The deep blue worked great for the mood of the picture! But if it wasn't intentionally blue, you probably do want to adjust something...

Thanks Adam. Between the desktop, laptop, iphone and office machine the photo had me coming and going. Here's the orignal entry:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

afkenner
318 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2010 11:50 |  #29

teekay wrote in post #10324533 (external link)
Congratulatons to AfKenner - that's one beautiful sculpture that captures "dance" perfectly.

But Andrew's "pogo" shot, although not pretty, and hardly even "dance", is a real stunner - right up there, in my opinion, with the famously disturbing work of Diane Arbus. At first, I thought the figure on the left was a female instructor teaching the twist to the guy in the middle, but then I saw the hairy chest. And the guy on the right is another reason to be left wondering about this image. This is one to print big and hang on a wall, Andrew!

Thanks teekay. I completely agree about Andrew's shot - it's a classic "thousand word" photo - so much story in there, excellent composition, unique characters, perfect timing, wonderful mood and great tone from the B&W conversion. Bravo, Andrew!

Experimenting with: WP Photoblog (external link) | Zenphoto (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Canon 7D, Zooms, Primes, Macro, 580EXII, 430EX, G12, IXUS 75; Tamron 17-50; Sigma 30 f1.4 & EF 530 DG Super; eBay Triggers & DIY lighting paraphernalia.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 09, 2010 18:40 |  #30

HOLY WOW, I didn't think I had a chance, thank you and congratulations to the others afkener and Andrewaaa5, what fun this is.

Okay, okay, what's next lol...

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links

11,494 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #278 - Dance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.