Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 08 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Resizing 100s of photos

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 08, 2010 07:05 |  #1

I pass on up to 600 high resolution photos to my clients of their weddings. I would like to pass on also a folder with email friendly or quick view photos as well. I'm sure there is a way to process all the files in one go. I have tried a photoshop action which works well, problem is it adjusts the width of a landscape photo and the legnth of a portrait to the same. I'd like them to be uniform.

Any suggested way of doing this would be appreciated.

Thanks

damian

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

sponsored links
troutfisher
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 08, 2010 08:12 |  #2

The only way I can think, and its a pain,is to put the shots in two folders , one for each orientation and set the out put folder to to a master so you have two folders dumping into one then run the photoshop resize action on each sub folder with the same output folder.You should then get all the photos say 9*6 or whatever in the orientation you want, but you might need two actions one for each orientation.

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

scobols
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2010 08:15 |  #3

Create an action in Photoshop but instead of using the resize option, use File, Automate, Fit Image and set both options to the longest dimension you'd like.

Scott

www.scottbolster.com (external link)
facebook (external link)

Bob ­ Sherwood
275 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 08, 2010 08:46 |  #4

Do a google search on VSO Image resizer. Download the free version...it works fine.

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 08, 2010 09:23 as a reply to  @ Bob Sherwood's post |  #5

If you have Digital Photo Professional, just select the already processed photos you wish to resize, whatever format they are, and use 'batch process' to export to a new folder. The 'batch process' has a 'Resize setting', set the size you require and 'Execute'. I don't believe it matters whether the image is in landscape or portrait, I do it all the time.

highway0691
THREAD ­ STARTER
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 08, 2010 10:11 |  #6

Thanks so much people - will get my hands dirty with some of your ideas!!

Tadaaa
926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 08, 2010 10:40 |  #7

scobols wrote in post #10323660 (external link)
Create an action in Photoshop but instead of using the resize option, use File, Automate, Fit Image and set both options to the longest dimension you'd like.

Scott

Good idea...

- 1D & G9 & Sigma DP1 & Nikon D800 -

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2010 10:59 |  #8

Scott

That's how I do it and it's a breeze.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

highway0691
THREAD ­ STARTER
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 08, 2010 19:22 |  #9

TroyRaymond wrote in post #10324040 (external link)
If you have Digital Photo Professional, just select the already processed photos you wish to resize, whatever format they are, and use 'batch process' to export to a new folder. The 'batch process' has a 'Resize setting', set the size you require and 'Execute'. I don't believe it matters whether the image is in landscape or portrait, I do it all the time.

This works well however after each file has been saved I have the JPEG options dialouge box pop up requesting that I nominate a quality option. Is there a way of bypassing this as I will hae to sit there and click OK 600 times.

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 08, 2010 21:13 as a reply to  @ highway0691's post |  #10

I just did a test to make sure and had no box pop up while resizing already processed jpeg images. It just did them all. I have version 3.4.1.1 on windows XP, but I really doubt that matters.

EDIT: File format section I have set at Exif-JPEG with an image quality of 8, It's the only spot I see any adjustments.

tfd888
Goldmember
1,816 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 08, 2010 21:21 as a reply to  @ TroyRaymond's post |  #11

I've used Fast Stone Image Viewer for batch resizing and casual image browsing. Also allows for batch watermarking amongst many other things. Free and easy to use.

http://www.faststone.o​rg/FSViewerDetail.htm (external link)

Alexander R.O.
1D-Mark III ~1D-Mark II ~ 60D ~ 20D (Gripped)
(70-200mm L 2.8 IS) ~ (17-40mm L 4.0) (Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro RIP) ~ (50mm 1.8 MKII) ~ (Alpex 35mm f/2.8 M42 mount) ~ (430EX II) ~ (Yongnuo YN-560 III)
My Website (external link) - My Blog (external link)
- My Flickr (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 08, 2010 21:38 as a reply to  @ tfd888's post |  #12

I use Breeze Browser Pro to resize as many as necessary. Just select as many or all in a folder and put the longest size you want in both boxes. The program will resize all of them properly regardless of orientation. You can also tweak saturation, contrast and levels. works well for me.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

highway0691
THREAD ­ STARTER
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 08, 2010 22:59 |  #13

Have solved the JPEG option in photoshop. I wasn't saving the photo as aprt of the action. All working fine.

Thanks everone for your time and help. Much appreciated.

damian

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 09, 2010 15:48 |  #14

I'll have to try this.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2010 16:02 |  #15

photoguy6405 wrote in post #10333061 (external link)
I'll have to try this.

I've done this for 1100 at one time and it worked like a dream. It's easy and I have the action for the next time I need to resize a lot of images.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

sponsored links

3,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
Resizing 100s of photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.