Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jun 2010 (Tuesday) 16:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do?

johnnybfan
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 08, 2010 16:26 |  #1

I was in a Staples this afternoon & overheard a sales pitch from a salesman to a couple in their early 70's or so. This salesperson was telling them that Canon didn't have anything between the SD1300 and their digital Rebel XS. What??!! Maybe Staples doesn't carry anything in that range but the last I looked there were more than just a few. (I just looked at the Canon USA website and counted at least 20 cameras in that range!)
My question is: Should I have said anything or just kept my mouth shut? I didn't say anything & think that that was the correct course to take. I think the couple was going to buy based upon a sales pitch that was a lie. I know that "let the buyer beware" is a part of capitalism but I feel bad that I kept quiet.
What do you think I should have done? Thanks for your input.

jim

40D w/Grip X 2, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
, Canon 100-400L IS, Nifty Fifty, Canon 430 EX Flash

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 08, 2010 16:29 |  #2

What I have done in those situations is wait until the sales person has left and then put my two cents in.

billybookcase
473 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 08, 2010 16:33 |  #3

I would have either waited till the sales person left or just tried to squeeze my way into the conversation. I just find it quite despicable for

1. The corporation to not give anyone the training to do their job
2. Sales people to misinform customers especially if they're lying
3. A lack of commitment for sales people to learn to do their jobs and instead stand around talking like schoolgirls.

Flickr (external link)

Sikor7
417 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 08, 2010 16:33 |  #4

If they were willing to buy something based on the sales pitch, then you were right to keep your mouth shut. If they walked away you could have pulled them aside (outside of salesman earshot) and informed them of your knowledge.

Or, after the salesman was done with the couple inform him of his "gap" of knowledge of the Canon lineup. I am thinking that was what they carried and it wasn't a total lie.

My $.02 but I think you did the right thing.

40D w grip
28-300 IS L - 24-105 IS [COLOR=red]L - 100-400 IS L
580 EX - 580 EX II - ST-E2
Nice Canon Back-Pack and some other stuff...
"I think I just stimulated the economy!!!"

johnnybfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 08, 2010 16:39 |  #5

Sikor7 wrote in post #10326808 (external link)
If they were willing to buy something based on the sales pitch, then you were right to keep your mouth shut. If they walked away you could have pulled them aside (outside of salesman earshot) and informed them of your knowledge.

Or, after the salesman was done with the couple inform him of his "gap" of knowledge of the Canon lineup. I am thinking that was what they carried and it wasn't a total lie.

My $.02 but I think you did the right thing.

Thanks for the support. I really believe that anyone buying a new camera should do their homework before making the leap. That was why I said nothing.

jim

40D w/Grip X 2, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
, Canon 100-400L IS, Nifty Fifty, Canon 430 EX Flash

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 08, 2010 21:47 |  #6

johnnybfan wrote in post #10326831 (external link)
Thanks for the support. I really believe that anyone buying a new camera should do their homework before making the leap. That was why I said nothing.

Sometimes the elderly just don't have the resourses to do their homework and rely on the sales person for advice..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sk8rdi16
163 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 08, 2010 22:01 |  #7

I've found that it's not just the elderly that rely on sales people for advice. If the people look like they need real advice on a purchase, I'll usually walk up after the sales person leaves as well.

5Dii Gripped, 7D, T2i, 24-70 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 580ex ii, basic Strobist kit, Pocket Wizards
http://www.heidphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
http://www.pathphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

kayl
412 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 08, 2010 22:03 |  #8

yogestee wrote in post #10328247 (external link)
Sometimes the elderly just don't have the resourses to do their homework and rely on the sales person for advice..

Agreed- some people (naively) think that a salesperson will tell them the truth about what they want to buy. Unfortunately, I've found that most salespeople don't know crap.

I'd have said something in that situation :)

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

ballymenalass
27 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 09, 2010 03:45 |  #9

I'm new to this whole photography thing and tbh like in any other product, if a salesman was misinforming me I'd have been grateful if someone could have corrected them. Also I don't think the salesman should be saying that - its either incompetent or negligent so if you are better informed then I don't see the harm in speaking up - like you said, I'd feel bad for keeping quiet, (although I don't think you need to feel bad).

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 09, 2010 04:02 |  #10

johnnybfan wrote in post #10326776 (external link)
I was in a Staples this afternoon...

What do you think I should have done?

Do you work at Staples or just shop there?

If the latter, shopping has nothing to do with managing other folks. You are more informed than the folks buying the camera for sure. However, the guy selling them the camera is trying to make a living. You were not. Being quiet was the right thing to do.

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

FEISOL CT-3442 (ARL) tripod w/ Photo Clam 40-NS ballhead:lol:

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,768 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 09, 2010 14:51 as a reply to  @ DANATTHEROCK's post |  #11

I would have spoken up. One of the most important things for anyone selling anything is product knowledge. Knowledge of what you are selling and, perhaps more importantly, what you are selling against.

I speak to people in stores whenever I hear stuff like this. Some actually seem to appreciate it. And some............don't.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 09, 2010 20:28 |  #12

saea501 wrote in post #10332708 (external link)
I would have spoken up. One of the most important things for anyone selling anything is product knowledge. Knowledge of what you are selling and, perhaps more importantly, what you are selling against.

I speak to people in stores whenever I hear stuff like this. Some actually seem to appreciate it. And some............don't.

Also some stores get kick backs if they sell certain products from manufacturers..

This is why I take photography magazine reviews with a grain of salt.. Manufacturers will always advertise more where ever they get a favourable review.. And possible pull advertising if they don't..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

ampleforth
190 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 09, 2010 21:27 |  #13

People who blindly buy everything from a sales person without doing the research have not deserved better. ;) Why didn't you step in and blow him into the negative corner of his misinformation saying that Canon actually does not have anything smaller than a 7d ... Any car dealer in New Jersey would jump along with you and try sell the RV/Pickup-Truck to those guys who just want a slightly bigger trunk ;)

redjamesg
757 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 10, 2010 12:26 |  #14

I've actualy witnessed the exact opposite first hand, while I was doing my homework trying to decide on my new body I visited the local photoshop to borrow the different bodies, trying to get a feel and snap a few pictures, your basic "try befor you buy" when dealing with a purchase of this $$.
I was freequently met by some salesperson trying to see if he could hook me with some BS, I was only there to try the bodies so I didn't notice that much what he was saying.
The third time I was there, the salesperson flat out told me he wasn't that knowledgable within the canon lines, so I was pretty much on my own.
I had more respect for him beeing so honest, than any of the others tryng to bafle me with some sales talk.

Don't worry Ma'am, We're university students, We know what We're doing.
Stuff | Web (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Feedback

th0rr
199 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 10, 2010 13:13 |  #15

yogestee wrote in post #10328247 (external link)

I also think that they must remember a time when sales folks knew what they were talking about. Not saying you could totally trust them but back when I remember sales people being at least knowledgeable about the products they were selling.

The only time I see that kind of expertise anymore are in local dedicated audio/video/camera/etc​... stores which are getting fewer and fewer.

If the couple was away from the sales rep I would've walked over to them and gave them the info.

sponsored links

2,866 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.