Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 19:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

why use light meters / gray card?

asianstutter
621 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 09, 2010 19:39 |  #1

why not save the money and use photoshop / lightroom to edit the exposure the way we want?

can someone tell me the difference? does this make sense to anyone?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 2.8L | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS | Canon 17-40 4.0L | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 580ex II | Vivitar 285hv x2 | Phottix Strato II Trigger

flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 09, 2010 20:28 |  #2

Getting the exposure (and white balance) correct in the camera makes it possible to create prints (or digital displays) that look like you want them to. If you screw up and get the exposure and/or the colors all wrong, there are definite limits to how much repair you can do in software. Even if you make small errors with exposure and/or colors, the final product will not be as good as it could be had you gotten things right in the camera.

This is as true with film as it is with digital imaging.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 09, 2010 21:33 |  #3

asianstutter wrote in post #10334230 (external link)
why not save the money and use photoshop / lightroom to edit the exposure the way we want?

The reason we have camera controls to adjust exposure, white balance etc is so we can get it right in the camera.. Post processing is only an aid not a solution to poorly photographed images..

This attitude, anything will do but I'll fix it in Photoshop doesn't gel with me..

Get it right in the camera first!!

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 10, 2010 00:20 |  #4

I don't currently own a grey card, but after finding this thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=774903 I've now factored the X-Rite Passport into my wish list.

A grey card isn't an alternative to LR processing, it's an addition.
If you shoot JPEG then a grey card will ensure your image is as true a reflection of the original scene as possible, shoot in RAW and you have a known reference point from which your images can be processed.

Having struggled to balance images shot of a play a few years ago I now realise a simple grey card would have saved me hours of processing and resulted in a constant colour balance across the images.

Saying everything can be fixed in post is a very narrow and misguided view, if you get it severely wrong to start with then there may be little to do to rescue an image.

As to your point about light meters I believe you can apply a similar logic, although from what I understand the advantage of using a light meter as opposed to relying on the in camera meter is to do with reflected vs incident light and the fact that the camera will try and average the whole scene to a mid grey.

I suspect that there is a large majority of photographers who don't own either of these accessories, and I imagine most of them get on just fine, but at some point having the right tools may just turn that okay shot into a fantastic shot.

(sorry if this makes little sense - am nearing the end of a night shift)

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 10, 2010 06:49 |  #5

get the shot right and you won't need to spend 30 min to fix the mex on the computer.

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 10, 2010 06:54 |  #6

broadcast_techie wrote in post #10335671 (external link)
Having struggled to balance images shot of a play a few years ago I now realise a simple grey card would have saved me hours of processing and resulted in a constant colour balance across the images.

This. Even better with a MacBeth though, so you can make sure that all colors are corrected -- if you want it that way. :3

But, yes, ensuring a cohesive look is one of the major benefits. And the grey cards make it so much easier.

Lightmeters prevent chimping to get exposure right in regards to background and subject. I chimp because I don't have one...but now I really do want one. As well as the aforementioned gray card or small macbeth. :3

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

LotsToLearn
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 10, 2010 08:12 |  #7

Adding an additional time consuming process per picture can also cost money; as for some, time is money.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 10, 2010 08:24 |  #8

You cannot bring out detail post picture-taking when the detail just isn’t there because the exposure is wrong.

(My old metal lens case, I had painted one side as a grey card which certainly meant I never had to carry anything extra.) Now why don’t Pelling make “grey-card” coloured boxes?

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

lmitch6
539 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 10, 2010 09:34 |  #9

I'll echo what others have said...it's best to get the shot right "in camera and on scene" than fiddling with it in post processing. You can only recover so much detail if the initial exposure was off, and using a grey card (or any white balancing tool) ensures accurate color reproduction. It's more efficient to spend an extra minute or two in the field than extra hours in post!

Galleries (external link)

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 10, 2010 09:44 |  #10

And when it’s tricky, let’s hear it for [when possible] good old bracketing.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

lmitch6
539 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 10, 2010 09:55 |  #11

Yes....bracketing is a lifesaver sometimes!

Galleries (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 10, 2010 12:07 |  #12

"Preprocessing" is usually more accurate and efficient than postprocessing.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2010 12:46 |  #13

For me it is pure laziness. Using my handheld meter and gray card means less work.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 10, 2010 13:05 |  #14

matonanjin wrote in post #10338469 (external link)
For me it is pure laziness. Using my handheld meter and gray card means less work.

MANY years ago, my Dad taught me to be lazy.

Laziness, by his (and now my) definition, means that you get something done absolutely correctly the first time with the least wasted time in doing so. The result is more leisure time - without having waste time repeating the job because it was done wrong or sloppily.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

2,001 views & 0 likes for this thread
why use light meters / gray card?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.