Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Jun 2009 (Monday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 7 - And Still Going! Still Friendly and Still The BEST!

this thread is locked
Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 09, 2010 05:52 |  #8401

Wow - this place is getting scary quiet :|

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

sponsored links
Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 09, 2010 05:58 |  #8402

Sancho wrote in post #10329807 (external link)
Wow - this place is getting scary quiet :|

I've been having massive internet issues.
Time to rewire the phone lines in the house, the current system seems to have 4 wires coming in from the street, with 2 of those wire connected, and 3 wires running off that jack point into old and new style jacks scattered around the house and in the shed.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 09, 2010 11:33 |  #8403

Moppie wrote in post #10329816 (external link)
Time to rewire the phone lines in the house, the current system seems to have 4 wires coming in from the street, with 2 of those wire connected, and 3 wires running off that jack point into old and new style jacks scattered around the house and in the shed.

Not sure what you mean by new style or old style (BT Plug, vs hard wired? or Master/Secondary/2 wire) If a mix of Master/Secondary, and 2 wire - that may be your issue - as they aren't suppose to co-exist.

If replacing the jackpoints, consider doing the wires as well. It sounds like you have the old master/secondary wiring. When I rewired my place to 2 wire jackpoints, I ended up with a slower connection (by about 10-15%), but it did help the stability a hell of a lot. I ended up ripping all the wire out, replacing with new stuff, and ended up with 10-15% improvement over the starting point, and stable. When I ripped the wiring out - turned out there were 4 splices in the cable, 1 of which didn't actually go to a jack point, it was just curled up under the insulation.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 09, 2010 14:19 |  #8404

It's a mix of Master/Secondary and 2 wire, and some of the cable runs are quite long, but don't go anywhere.
Hence the need to start again.
I've heard of people using cat5 for phone cabling, but I'm not sure how that works?

flickr (external link)

amitch
365 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 09, 2010 16:08 |  #8405

Moppie wrote in post #10332530 (external link)
It's a mix of Master/Secondary and 2 wire, and some of the cable runs are quite long, but don't go anywhere.
I've heard of people using cat5 for phone cabling, but I'm not sure how that works?

You don't want a mix of two wire and three wire jacks. The third wire is the 'ring' wire (blue) and this carries the current for ringing and it's returned by the white wire (from memory). The two wire system does it all. Over a long run the three wire system can introduce noise which is why two wire is now the norm.

Cat5 is a cable with twisted pairs to reduce interference when you carry high speed data on the cable. To use this you would install the cable and jacks where you want the hardware and use this to connect to your router.
This would give you the fastest speed possible within your house, but does nothing for your connection back to the exchange, fiber cabinet etc. This is where your speed is made or lost.

The upshot, convert your house to two wire and if you wish to spend money later, install cat5.

Cheers Alex.....

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 09, 2010 16:24 |  #8406

Moppie wrote in post #10332530 (external link)

Perfectly fine - at least for Cat5e solid core. It's what I used when redoing my house, as I was also running network cable at the same time. Braided - not sure as I have no experience with that. I may be wrong, but I think that most 'phone cable' is now Cat 5e with only 2 wire pairs (Blue/Orange), instead of the normal 4 wire pairs(blue/Orange/Gree​n/Brown). The advantage of 'phone' cable is that it is thinner. With cat 5 you can technically wire in a Ethernet port (this is more complicated let me know if you want the details of what I mean)

When wiring it up - run the Cat5 cables just as you would for phone cable. When wiring up the jacks, make sure that you use the same colour pair as what comes in from the street - which 99% of the time is blue. Make sure to get the coloured wire on the coloured wire side of the jack. Leave the rest of the wire pairs detached. Using the same colour as what is active from the street is so you conform to the standard way of doing things, so the next owner (or even yourself) is not confused as hell when they have to make changes to the phones (eg add a second line). Once you have the first wired, it's just a matter of running a line from a working extension to the place you want to new one to be - clipping in coloured to coloured, white to white. Suggest that you test the extensions after each addition, as it's much easier to troubleshoot if something doesn't work.

All this assumes you are only dealing with 2 wire jacks - throw out the old master/secondary ones.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,448 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 09, 2010 17:02 |  #8407

Moppie wrote in post #10329816 (external link)

best advice is cable the two wires from the street connection directly to where your router (or modem) is.

If ADSL, Have a proper splitter at that point feeding off to the router, and feed the other side of the splitter back into the house off to the phones.

Cat5 cable and RJ-45 jacks won't always help, but it makes networking to varoius places a whole heap easier if you want to do that at a later stage.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 09, 2010 19:51 |  #8408

Our connection is CR@P too. I am positive its the ISP as when I first joined I could connect at 1.8megabit and for the last year its been 0.5! gets VERY frustrating! I'd move but I do like the 75 gig free they offer between 1am and 7am, unfortunately with the crap speeds I get I am lucky to pull 40-45gig! Havn't reviewed the plans ina while actually, am not sure if anyone else is offering anything similar.

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 09, 2010 20:05 |  #8409

I'm on Telstra Clear cable, which is fibre to the neighbourhood then a cable loop around the streets. I get my full 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up on a well seeded torrent. I chose TC because they have a modern, reliable infrastructure in Wellington, Telecom have old copper lines and couldn't even tell me for sure if I could get broadband.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 10, 2010 00:13 |  #8410

Yeah I had cable at my old place, unfortunately they didn't lay it semi-rural where I am now :( It is simply the best connection available in NZ by a longshot! .... I miss my cable :(

Then again, Telstra certainly know how to charge for it too!

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 10, 2010 00:21 |  #8411

I pay about $100/month for 50GB @ 10Mbps. That's not too bad. My girlfriend is just organising Telecom Adsl2+, $40/month for 3GB, not sure how fast it is though. 10GB/month is only $10/month more.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 10, 2010 00:26 |  #8412

amitch wrote in post #10333169 (external link)
You don't want a mix of two wire and three wire jacks. The third wire is the 'ring' wire (blue) and this carries the current for ringing and it's returned by the white wire (from memory). The two wire system does it all. Over a long run the three wire system can introduce noise which is why two wire is now the norm.

Cat5 is a cable with twisted pairs to reduce interference when you carry high speed data on the cable. To use this you would install the cable and jacks where you want the hardware and use this to connect to your router.
This would give you the fastest speed possible within your house, but does nothing for your connection back to the exchange, fiber cabinet etc. This is where your speed is made or lost.

The upshot, convert your house to two wire and if you wish to spend money later, install cat5.

pleb1024 wrote in post #10333254 (external link)
Perfectly fine - at least for Cat5e solid core. It's what I used when redoing my house, as I was also running network cable at the same time. Braided - not sure as I have no experience with that. I may be wrong, but I think that most 'phone cable' is now Cat 5e with only 2 wire pairs (Blue/Orange), instead of the normal 4 wire pairs(blue/Orange/Gree​n/Brown). The advantage of 'phone' cable is that it is thinner. With cat 5 you can technically wire in a Ethernet port (this is more complicated let me know if you want the details of what I mean)

When wiring it up - run the Cat5 cables just as you would for phone cable. When wiring up the jacks, make sure that you use the same colour pair as what comes in from the street - which 99% of the time is blue. Make sure to get the coloured wire on the coloured wire side of the jack. Leave the rest of the wire pairs detached. Using the same colour as what is active from the street is so you conform to the standard way of doing things, so the next owner (or even yourself) is not confused as hell when they have to make changes to the phones (eg add a second line). Once you have the first wired, it's just a matter of running a line from a working extension to the place you want to new one to be - clipping in coloured to coloured, white to white. Suggest that you test the extensions after each addition, as it's much easier to troubleshoot if something doesn't work.

All this assumes you are only dealing with 2 wire jacks - throw out the old master/secondary ones.

Daniel

joeseph wrote in post #10333480 (external link)
best advice is cable the two wires from the street connection directly to where your router (or modem) is.

If ADSL, Have a proper splitter at that point feeding off to the router, and feed the other side of the splitter back into the house off to the phones.

Cat5 cable and RJ-45 jacks won't always help, but it makes networking to varoius places a whole heap easier if you want to do that at a later stage.

Awsome guys!

Amanda works at a company that sells server cabinets and various telecommunications gear, including 2 wire jacks.
Its how I found our system was all messed up, her boss suggested having a look and gave her a 2 wire jack :)

If I run the line from the street into a 2 wire jack which the modem/router goes into, doe it need to be a special jack point?
Or can I then run lines from there to the other jack points in the house?
And, should these be run in parallel, or is it ok to run them in series from the first jack point?

flickr (external link)

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,923 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 10, 2010 01:41 |  #8413

pleb1024 wrote in post #10333254 (external link)

Daniel

Cool.....glad I dropped in. I need to rewire downstairs when we do some renovations soon. I am gonna use cat 5 for phone and network, just was a bit vague on how I was going to connect up the phone and adsl, but think I have it sussed now.

Anyone have access to rj45 wall jacks at good prices?

Oh and hi everyone, long time no post. I've been keeping myself to busy to use the camera much, but i'll get back to it.

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jun 10, 2010 02:03 |  #8414

scotttnz wrote in post #10335935 (external link)
Anyone have access to rj45 wall jacks at good prices?

Ironically, yes :cool:

flickr (external link)

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 10, 2010 02:19 |  #8415

Moppie wrote in post #10335982 (external link)
Ironically, yes :cool:

If that falls through I have the number of a guy who has all sorts of cabling and wallplates etc. Same guy I got my screen off recently at a VERY sharp price...

sponsored links

700,796 views & 0 likes for this thread
GKPE 7 - And Still Going! Still Friendly and Still The BEST!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.