Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 12:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50d focus problemm

neecieb
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 10, 2010 12:04 |  #1

I purchased a 50D through Canon's "loyalty program," and couldn't get it to focus with any lens. So they replaced it with a different kit, which has the same problem. I need sharp focus when viewed at 100%, at least most of the time. I've tried many things, even swapped cameras/lenses with a friend and her 50d; lo and behold, when I viewed hers at full frame, they were often not sharp either!
In preparation for an important job in two weeks, I began this transaction weeks ago, and now won't have the camera I was relying on using.
I was also shocked at the amount of purple fringing. YIKES!
Where am I going wrong?
Isn't it true that many pros use the 50D?

Any thoughts?

sponsored links
amobnaij
89 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 10, 2010 12:12 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

neecieb wrote in post #10338220 (external link)
I purchased a 50D through Canon's "loyalty program," and couldn't get it to focus with any lens. So they replaced it with a different kit, which has the same problem. I need sharp focus when viewed at 100%, at least most of the time. I've tried many things, even swapped cameras/lenses with a friend and her 50d; lo and behold, when I viewed hers at full frame, they were often not sharp either!
In preparation for an important job in two weeks, I began this transaction weeks ago, and now won't have the camera I was relying on using.
Where am I going wrong?

Any thoughts?

Your are peeping pixels, and you didn't provide more details, such as what kind of lens, what type of objects, under what kind of lighting, also your experience.

When was the last time you took sharp pictures when viewed at 100%?

Let us know more so that we can diagonosis if the problem was your camera, or your lens, or yourself.:lol:

D700 24-70, 70-200VRII, 50/1.4, 85/1.8,105VR, Tamron 28-75, 24-120VR, Σ20/1.8
D300/D5000 Σ10-20 35/1.8 Tokina 16-50 & 50-135 70-300VR
5D 24-105L
Nikon 5700, Canon SD880 G11

kayl
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 10, 2010 12:13 |  #3

Purple fringing is dependent on the lenses used.

What lens were you using, what shutter speed, and what f-stop?

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2010 12:37 |  #4

neecieb wrote in post #10338220 (external link)
Where am I going wrong?

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts? Hmmm. Yes. Three different 50D's and none of them sharp. Maybe there is a pattern here?

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,238 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 10, 2010 12:40 |  #5

Posts like this are not useful unless sample pics are provided with EXIF data. There are so many reasons for soft pictures from user error to hardware error and everywhere in between. Post up a sample or two. 100% crops would assist as well.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 10, 2010 13:24 |  #6

Same problem with 3 different bodies lends me to believe we're dealing with user error rather than equipment error. As others have stated, it is useless to discuss this without having some examples.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,238 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 10, 2010 14:33 |  #7

crn3371 wrote in post #10338682 (external link)
Same problem with 3 different bodies lends me to believe we're dealing with user error rather than equipment error. As others have stated, it is useless to discuss this without having some examples.

Or possible a bad lens.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 10, 2010 14:37 |  #8

gjl711 wrote in post #10339034 (external link)
Or possible a bad lens.

He said he couldn't get it to focus "with any lens." So he's tried more than one.

And is the problem in AF, MF, or both?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

kajiholic
204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 10, 2010 15:25 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #9

sounds like a user issue to me...;)

FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kajiholic/ (external link)
| CANON 50D | CANON BG-E2N| EF 17-40mm f/1.4L | EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 40mm f/2.8 |

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2010 15:42 |  #10

matonanjin wrote in post #10338413 (external link)
Any thoughts? Hmmm. Yes. Three different 50D's and none of them sharp. Maybe there is a pattern here?

crn3371 wrote in post #10338682 (external link)

kajiholic wrote in post #10339343 (external link)
sounds like a user issue to me...;)

Was I too tactful above:rolleyes:

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 10, 2010 16:08 |  #11

I have had two 50D and both focus sharply. As others have said I would like to see and example?

https://mgiddings.com (external link)

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,483 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 10, 2010 16:13 |  #12

First post and disappeared ;)

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

raylfreeman
312 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 10, 2010 16:14 |  #13

matonanjin wrote in post #10339437 (external link)
Was I too tactful above:rolleyes:

See said the blind man..........

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 10, 2010 18:12 |  #14

If coming from a lower resolution camera to the 15MP 50D, when you are viewing the images at 100%, you are looking at them enlarged a whole lot more than you might be accustomed to doing with earlier, lower resolution cameras. Using 50D, 7D and 5D MkII, I seldom evaluate focus at more than 50% (I'll zoom in further to do fine retouching, if necessary).

Also, pretty much all digital images need some sharpening to bring out the fine details. The higher the camera's resolution, the more sharpening is usually needed.

And, the more resolution a camera produces, the greater the chances it will out-resolve some lenses. This includes that the greater the resolution, the more you will see lens flaws such as color fringing (chromatic aberration). Zoom in far enough with even the best lens and camera and you can find some "issues", but zoom back out to more realistic sizes and they disappear.

There are several things you can do to maximize your focus accuracy....

1. Remove "protection" filters. The higher quality ones will have little effect unless strong stray light strikes them directly. Low quality ones can cause all kinds of focus problems, even cause color fringing (chromatic aberrations) and image softness.
2. Use a lens hood. By shading the lens the AF system will work faster and more precisely.
3. With most Canon, select the center AF point, it's the most sensitive.
4. With most Canon, use One Shot with static subjects, it's more precise than AI Servo.
5. Manual focus using the AF confirmation (beep and green LED) along with some sort of focus magnifier, such as the Angle Finder. There are alternative focus screens available for the 50D, some of which might help with manual focus accuracy.
6. Use Custom Function III - 7 and Micro Adjust the focus of each of your lenses (up to 20). See the manual for detailed instructions. This is most effective with prime lenses. A zoom necessarily has to be adjusted to a compromise or average, at two or more of it's various focal lengths.
7. Before you get too critical with the camera or your lenses, and when testing, evaluating and adjusting them, consider your computer monitor. Most consumer grade monitors cannot display all the detail in an image. Print images out on a high quality, smooth matte paper for the most critical evaluation of image sharpness and precision. Depending upon the quality of your printer, it can be surprising how much more detail and sharpness an image might have.
8. All lenses have a "sweet spot" aperture where they are at their sharpest. Usually this is a middle aperture such as f5.6 or f8. But some lenses are designed to be very sharp wide open (ex.: 300/2.8 IS) or stopped down a lot (most macro lenses).
9. With digital sensors the size of the one in the 50D, at it's level of resolution, the camera's optimal aperture is most likely around f7. Smaller apertures will gradually show increased loss due to diffraction.
10. DSLRs using crop sensors, like the 50D, have somewhat restricted viewfinders that make it hard to evaluate focus and depth of field precisely. Autofocus camera's have largely done away with some of the focus aids we used to enjoy with manual focus lenses. Stop down an extra stop, for highly precise work you might want to use a hyperfocal distance chart.
11. Watch out for slow shutter speeds. Camera shake can look like missed/inaccurate focus. Best to use a tripod for focus tests and micro adjusting.
12. Image Stabilization can also cause "shake" in images, if used incorrectly. Shooting too fast with IS is one common thing. It takes a fraction of a second to stabilize effectively. If you put some IS lenses on a tripod, solidly locked down, you need to turn it off, or it can cause image blurring.

Some lenses are simply sharper than others. I use 300/2.8 a lot, but it's mostly a tripod lens. So I also use 300/4 quite a bit, handheld. If I look closely I can see the difference, the f2.8 lens is simply sharper and delivers more fine detail.

I was working on an 11x14 image, printing it out to be framed. All the while that I was zoomed way in and doing some fine retouching and adjustments, I thought I'd shot it with my 5D MkII. But when I happened to look at the EXIF data, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was actually shot with one of my 50Ds (and an EF 20/2.8 lens that was fitted with a B+W Kaeseman Circular Polarizer at the time). The print from my HP B9180 is even better than what I can see on my computer monitor. Not every image coming out of 50D is that good. I just managed to hit the sweet spot of everything with that particular image. I wish I could do that every time. I can't.

Shooting action, with 50D I see about 5% of images where the AF misses or loses the subject I'm tracking. It happens. Can't be helped and I think 95% "acceptably in focus" is pretty darned good.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Rhinestone
118 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 10, 2010 18:44 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #15

Wow very good post ^^ thanks for your time here!:)

sponsored links

3,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
50d focus problemm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.