Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 31 May 2010 (Monday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opportunity for press pass, but should I take it?

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 01, 2010 18:59 |  #16

yeah just rent the gear for the duration of the event - no one will know the difference especially if you are already making some nice photos with basic gear!

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,379 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 01, 2010 19:11 |  #17

Don't be intimidated by someone else's apparent wealth. This has no bearing on their ability to capture images. My grandma out cooks the best with her 1940's iron skillet.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

tfd888
Goldmember
1,816 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2010 01:29 as a reply to  @ Naturalist's post |  #18

Word of advice. If you do rent, allow a bit of time before the event to allow yourself to become familiar with and test out the rented equipment so that you aren't learning new controls on a different body or getting used to a different lens during the event.

Alexander R.O.
1D-Mark III ~1D-Mark II ~ 60D ~ 20D (Gripped)
(70-200mm L 2.8 IS) ~ (17-40mm L 4.0) (Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro RIP) ~ (50mm 1.8 MKII) ~ (Alpex 35mm f/2.8 M42 mount) ~ (430EX II) ~ (Yongnuo YN-560 III)
My Website (external link) - My Blog (external link)
- My Flickr (external link)

brownbugger
941 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 02, 2010 02:31 |  #19

take it , gear has nothing to do with talent.

Gripped Canon 50D, Canon 400D with BG-E3 Grip, 580 EXII Flash, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L , Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L / Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 /Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 / Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD

Mike ­ Hoyer
252 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 02, 2010 22:24 |  #20

Bear in mind if you do decide to go, you are now working and not doing it for fun. Does your client know that you have concerns? They may be expecting more than what you can produce!

Gear is not everything, but it helps if you have the appropriate stuff! I know somebody will jump in and say "we all have to start somewhere!" but you need to approach this in the right way! Saying things like you've "somehow" got the oppurtunity doesn't sound right, you should know.

Anyway, if you have any questions, send me a PM and I will help you out!

Ingsy wrote in post #10277262 (external link)
I'm fortunate enough to somehow get the opportunity to get a press pass for Castle Combe in a couple of weeks time. However, and this may well sound quite odd, I'm not sure I want it.

The reason is kit. Look at my sig, it's all basic beginner stuff. I'd feel a complete fraud having a white vest and being in front of the fence.

I guess I can hire something, but I've never shot at Combe before, so I've got no idea what to get, where to get it from (lenses for hire I guess - anyone used them?), or anything else - what's the etiquette? Stay out of everyone else's way even if it's to the detriment of me?

Or should I just stop worrying and make the most of it?

Motorsport Photographer

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 03, 2010 07:00 |  #21

Thanks for the comments everyone, certainly food for thought.

Mike, I can elaborate on the somehow. It's come about through me doing the write-ups on Britcar for Andrews website 'Racing Exposure'. After a couple of posts on the Piston Heads forum before the first race, a chap from Britcar got in touch with me about what I was doing, and offered help where he could.

Apparently MSV are more particular with photog passes than other circuit owners, and Combe are apparently a little more relaxed, so he is going to put me forward for a pass for the next round there in a couple of weeks.

As for the client. It's an odd one, as I'm not taking shots or doing the write-up for Britcar themselves, yet they are the ones getting the pass, and the write up that I put on Racing Exposure is purely on a voluntary basis.

As I've said earlier, I know that Britcar isn't F1 or anything, but I have to say that I've found myself in this situation almost without looking for it - hence the 'somehow' that I mentioned in the OP.

It seems as though the PL insurance is going to be about £100. I think that I'm going to go for the insurance to get trackside, and possibly hire a lens depending on funds. I figured that I'm getting acceptable shots with my current kit, so if I'm closer to the track then that can only help things.

Zenfolio (external link) || Project 365 - less than 1 month to go! (external link) || Always happy for C&C on my images!
Canon 400D || 18-55 IS || Sigma 30mm F1.4 || Nifty TwoFifty || Not enough time :(

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 03, 2010 10:55 |  #22

If you need any letters from me, let me know. I've been particularly impressed with your Britcar reporting!

I've not had to deal with Combe myself, last time I went I was starting out and was restricted to spectator areas, just not had an need to go back since. MSV and BARC are more stringent than some of the other circuits.

For smaller events, Silverstone hands over the accreditation side to the organising clubs, so for the Britcar24 you should have no problem - and I'm going myself.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 03, 2010 17:01 |  #23

Andrew, thanks for the vote of confidence!

Had planned on going to the 24Hr as well, perhaps it'd be an opportunity to meet up. Would be nice to put a face to a name.

Zenfolio (external link) || Project 365 - less than 1 month to go! (external link) || Always happy for C&C on my images!
Canon 400D || 18-55 IS || Sigma 30mm F1.4 || Nifty TwoFifty || Not enough time :(

MMX
418 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 07, 2010 18:06 |  #24

Go there, but before you go there, borrow a telephoto and practice. Also read something about safety and when others try to shoot or walk, don´t stand in their way.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50 f/1.4, Sigma 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 OS, Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Manfrotto 055 XPROB + Manfrotto 322RC2, Manfrotto 679B + Manfrotto 234

racetek330
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 11, 2010 14:09 |  #25

As an ex racer i was asked by a friend to try to get a few pics of his new car. Next thing I know I am the track photographer and have been at it for 20 years. Never pass up an opportunityh. They may not come around again.

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 11, 2010 14:30 |  #26

While I agree with "Never Pass Up an Opportunity", and that Gear is no reason to back down from this offer, I think we need to look at this from a separate point of view. Press passes/ credentials are meant for working professionals and media. Sure they get handed out to people who should not be there, but, that is what they are meant for. SO, if you are not working with some form of media, I would not take this opportunity. Here is the situation from a second perspective. Because you get a credential, someone who is actually working for media may not get to be on the track.

Wanting to be on the track just for a better view or better photos is no reason to accept this one chance. (not accusing you of doing so, just stating a fact.)

David W.

GSH
"wetter than an otter's pocket"
3,939 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 11, 2010 14:42 |  #27

canonnoob wrote in post #10344850 (external link)
While I agree with "Never Pass Up an Opportunity", and that Gear is no reason to back down from this offer, I think we need to look at this from a separate point of view. Press passes/ credentials are meant for working professionals and media. Sure they get handed out to people who should not be there, but, that is what they are meant for. SO, if you are not working with some form of media, I would not take this opportunity. Here is the situation from a second perspective. Because you get a credential, someone who is actually working for media may not get to be on the track.

Wanting to be on the track just for a better view or better photos is no reason to accept this one chance. (not accusing you of doing so, just stating a fact.)

It's only a Britcar meeting so there won't be a mile-long line of Photographers waiting outside the Circuit office to sign on. The OP won't be denying anyone the opportunity to earn a crust and it might just be a foot in the door for him.

If you actually read post 21, he's been given the chance due to someone from britcar seeing the write ups he does for AndrewC's new website which is doing rather well, so as far as i'm concerned he fits the definition of "Working Media" a lot better than some photographers i could name.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

Geoff www.bhppix.co.uk (external link)

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 11, 2010 16:01 |  #28

Yes, Alex has been providing my Racing Exposure news site with Britcar stuff, both words and pictures.

When I started Racing Exposure six months ago, Britcar were one of the first high profile club series to get in touch with me, both Steve Wood who is their PR guy, and also James Tucker who is Mr. Britcar. Obviously they have been sufficiently impressed with Alex as well to offer him a media pass.

Alex's situation is slightly unusual. Normally the photographer applies to the circuit or the organising race series or club for a media pass - its somewhat rarer for the race series to make the offer to the photographer! This, coupled with it being Alex's first time trackside, is why he's a little unsure of himself.

Everyone needs their break - I myself have had a couple of lucky breaks, and I'm happy to give people a chance. Whilst writing or supplying pictures for a small website such as mine is not comparable to Autosport for example, it could lead onto bigger things.

I was at Anglesey for the CSCC meeting a few weeks ago, and the circuit commentator came up to me and asked how my site was going, which I was pleased about, because I hadn't told him about it.

My site is a little different to a lot of the others. I'm not covering Formula 1, GP2, F3 or the other series which are either professional or career series. These are well covered elsewhere. My site covers club motorsport which doesn't get much coverage at all. I cover from the typical 750MC type of meeting up to the hazy area where club motorsport and professional merge, the bar I've pitched at being at around the BTCC support race series where an amateur driver (of reasonable wealth) could compete alongside people who class themselves as professional drivers. The Porsche Carrera Cup being a prime example - they run classes for professionals and amateurs.

Now, if any other people wish to contribute in a small way, please get in touch!

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

Ingsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
726 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 16, 2010 14:02 |  #29

Thanks for all the different points of view - it's certainly interesting reading other peoples opinions on this.

I've decided to go for it, and have sorted out the PL insurance. Not going to hire a lens though, so will have to make do with current kit.

Now, all I need is a circuit guide for the best places to shoot from, having never been there before. I'm sure there's bound to be one on here somewhere.

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 16, 2010 14:45 |  #30

Ingsy wrote in post #10373613 (external link)
Thanks for all the different points of view - it's certainly interesting reading other peoples opinions on this.

I've decided to go for it, and have sorted out the PL insurance. Not going to hire a lens though, so will have to make do with current kit.

Now, all I need is a circuit guide for the best places to shoot from, having never been there before. I'm sure there's bound to be one on here somewhere.

Good for you!!! good luck and post up the pics afterward.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

sponsored links

5,556 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opportunity for press pass, but should I take it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.