Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 15 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,301 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 09, 2010 17:33 |  #421

Had to make this one a little smaller... maxed out the file size. One minute exposure, which wasn't long enough so it took more editing. Which in turn added considerable noise, so I went with some film grain. I like the way it looks :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Melody

sponsored links
Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 10, 2010 07:15 |  #422

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #10333653 (external link)
Had to make this one a little smaller... maxed out the file size. One minute exposure, which wasn't long enough so it took more editing. Which in turn added considerable noise, so I went with some film grain. I like the way it looks :)

This one shows some nicer movement in the clouds too. Perhaps time to wander a little further than the deck this time ;)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 10, 2010 09:40 |  #423

This is really cool stuff! I live really close to Harbor Freight and they usually carry welding supplies - I will have to go have a look!

I do have a question that I looked for but may have missed - could you not set a custom white balance by taking a photo after you have the glass strapped to the lense of a white "thing"?? If this would work, it would save a ton of time trying to fix the odd color casts.

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 10, 2010 09:47 |  #424

apixelintime wrote in post #10337367 (external link)
This is really cool stuff! I live really close to Harbor Freight and they usually carry welding supplies - I will have to go have a look!

I do have a question that I looked for but may have missed - could you not set a custom white balance by taking a photo after you have the glass strapped to the lense of a white "thing"?? If this would work, it would save a ton of time trying to fix the odd color casts.

Yes, this was mentioned a while back actually. It's a good idea too as then It doesn't take long to apply to all images.

Hope to see your efforts soon :)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,301 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 10, 2010 22:55 |  #425

I'll wander farther than the deck sometime. On nice days I am usually working, as I am working for a lawn and property maintenance company right now. I had other things begging for my attention and I was BBQing hamburgers, so I didn't want the camera too far away. Maybe this weekend will offer up something interesting :)

Melody

lbcyalater
984 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 11, 2010 17:19 as a reply to  @ Jill-of-all-Trades's post |  #426

without

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

with
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

The Gear:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40L :: Nifty Fifty :: Canon 85 1.8
580 EX II
http://lbcyalater.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

masterwillems
502 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 11, 2010 17:23 as a reply to  @ lbcyalater's post |  #427

I have mine for over a month now but don't have anything interesting to photograph here in the neighbourhood :(.

Hello!
Gear

Name:
Jeroen

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 11, 2010 17:57 |  #428

lbcyalater wrote in post #10345704 (external link)
without
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

with
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Really nice! Nice to have a comparitive shot with a normal view too. You can really see just how cool an effect this is :)

masterwillems wrote in post #10345723 (external link)
I have mine for over a month now but don't have anything interesting to photograph here in the neighbourhood :(.

The sky? Traffic? Water? Anything that moves really. The beauty is that it makes a seemingly normal scene into something new, interesting and different. Try it.

Anke

apixelintime
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2010 15:50 |  #429

I got a #10 at Harbor Freight for under $2, they were marked $4 on clearance. Taking it out of the sleeve, I noticed that it appeared clean and had polished edges. Now to block out some time to play around!

Christopher Cross | Apixelintime.com | Nightographer.com (coming soon)
Altering reality one pixel at a time.
A clicky thing | Severial twisty things | A couple of flashy things | A bunch of other things
Posing Guide (external link) | Galleries (external link) | flickr (external link) | FaceBook (external link) | Blog (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 15, 2010 01:08 |  #430

apixelintime wrote in post #10361121 (external link)
I got a #10 at Harbor Freight for under $2, they were marked $4 on clearance. Taking it out of the sleeve, I noticed that it appeared clean and had polished edges. Now to block out some time to play around!

Cool!! Looking forward to your postings.

Anyone else taken any recently?

Anke

FotOz
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 15, 2010 07:30 |  #431

Anybody ever though of using two polarising filters and 'maxing' them against each other?
Works for me!

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppe (external link)
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 15, 2010 07:39 |  #432

FotOz wrote in post #10364932 (external link)
Anybody ever though of using two polarising filters and 'maxing' them against each other?
Works for me!

Good idea, bit pricier though ;)

Anke

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 15, 2010 09:01 |  #433

What about getting simple polarizing film (external link), cutting it to fit in empty filter rings (or step-up rings, etc. that you have lying around). Then as you screw the outermost filter on or off it would give you a variable (reasonably neutral) density filter. Edmund will sell material with a higher quality than most welding stores (I would assume ;) ), but it probably isn't super high-end Polaroid sheet either.

Edit: Quick calculations would show it to give a variable range from 2-11 stops based on provided specs.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 19, 2010 11:59 |  #434

This is my effort for today I've been out with the welding glass again I know the composition is not great as I change the focal length a bit to much once the glass like the numpty I am. Anyway the main thing is does the processing work?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …ellolongexposur​e-1199.jpg (external link)

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 19, 2010 15:45 |  #435

Really nice addition :)

Anyone else been out lately with theirs?

Anke

sponsored links

749,305 views & 40 likes for this thread
Welding Glass (£1/$1 ND Filter) Exposures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.