Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 10 Jun 2010 (Thursday) 14:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to Yellowstone this July

rickp1
513 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 10, 2010 14:39 |  #1

Hey guys and gals,
I'm headed to Yellowstone and GTNP next month and I would like to know from people that have been there what you recommend as must see and any special gear I should take with me.

BTW, I'm thinking about renting a 300mm or 400mm lens. What's your take on that. I already have a 70-200 f2.8 but i might need a bit more reach for the wildlife. So what do you think?

Thanks
R.

Canon 5DMkII | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

sponsored links
kMayer
413 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 10, 2010 14:42 |  #2

I went to Yellowstone two years ago, unfortunately, wasn't into photography at the time.

Definitely a wide angle lens and maybe something longer for the animals and what not. But I would pack light because there's a lot of fun and interested trails/places to walk/bike.

Invest into a nice camera backpack with a weather cover.

Tcon
169 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 10, 2010 18:16 |  #3

A friend and I went to Yellowstone/GTNP in mid May. After reflection, these are the items we used most.

1) Memory Cards (though we offloaded every night to an external)
2) 17-40L (Wide Angle)
3) 70-200 2.8L (Mid Zoom)
4) 100-400L (Zoom)
5) It snowed the whole time and luckily we had our Kata E-702's for weather protection. Priceless.
6) Think Tank Street Walker Hard Drive which comes with rain cover
7) Belt System with pouches for most popular lenses, cloths, filters, etc.
8) Tripod

If I was to do it again, that is all I would need, but I would definitely be bringing a macro with me.

Now if I had the ability, I would have brought a 500 or 600mm lens

Hope that helps.

http://www.renekohut.c​om (external link)

rickp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
513 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 10, 2010 20:14 |  #4

thanks guys.
I was thinking of a belt system. THere's one I saw online that I liked but I can't think of the name. Can I get some recommendations?

I've already called about renting a 100-400mm f4.0 IS USM lens for about $75.00 for the week. So i'll do that. Now In need to pack everything photography related on-top of everything hiking related.

R.

rickp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
513 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 11, 2010 12:03 as a reply to  @ rickp1's post |  #5

BTW, any suggestions on how to carry the tripod?

R.

Tcon
169 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 11, 2010 12:11 |  #6

We didn't have time to do much hiking, our cameras were always mounted on the tripod. Tripod cinched to the outside of the pack? Its how I normally do it, or you can attach a sling and carry it over the shoulder. It could get uncomfortable, but it depends on how long you are hiking for.

http://www.renekohut.c​om (external link)

Renodesertfox
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 11, 2010 13:22 as a reply to  @ Tcon's post |  #7

Suggestion for carrying a tripod: on a shoulder.:lol:

If you have room for everything take everything. ND filters, polarize-rs, wide angle, telephotos, macro lens, extension tubes, memory cards, extra batteries, back-up camera, lens shades. I use a belt system and a vest combination. For hiking and transporting I use a camera backpack at 35 lbs(not including water or food) !

What to see: Upper & Lower Yellowstone Falls from every viewpoint. Old Faithful Geyser, and Geyser Valley, Yellowstone Lodges, Yellowstone Lake, Lamar Valley: Antelope, Bison, Wolf, Bear, Gopher, Moose, Elk, Pronghorn. Fire-creek Falls. Also take a day and drive to Grand Tetons NP just south of Yellowstone, the best time of day is early morning light. But shoot throughout the day....it's a paradise! I was there 1980, 1990, 2001, 2005, 2008. Every time we tent camped! Good luck, bring back plenty-o-photos! Treat everyday like it's the last day and you won't be disappointed! Use every ASA & be creative. Don't be satisfied with one shot!

Renodesertfox
XTi400d Cannon Glass & Nikon too.
http://www.campingforu​ms.com (external link) my other love!

avwh
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 11, 2010 13:33 |  #8

You'll need a long lens for most of the wildlife (only the bison are near the road alot), plus something wide for landscapes.

I did mostly just a drive-through two years ago (b/c I had business in Cody):

http://allenh.zenfolio​.com/p297405558 (external link)

Allen
50D/10-22S/17-55S IS/70-200L f2.8 IS/400L f5.6 /500L f4.5/100L f2.8 IS macro
my gallery: http://allenh.zenfolio​.com/ (external link)

rickp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
513 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 11, 2010 14:33 |  #9

I'm bringing everything with me. I'm even thinking about bringing 2 tripods with me, one for the camera and the other for a spotting scope I have. I a bag that will carry 2 lenses and the camera plus all my filters, then I'll ahve another lens case for the 100-400 lens I'm renting. I'll have to rig something for the tripod. I'll make sure I have eveything I need.

Let me ask you, I have a 32GB and a 16GB card, do you think that's enough? I'll be moving everything to my laptop at night but I was thinking of getting another 32GB.

Thanks for the list of must see things. For the last 2 days I've had my face buried in the internet, map and books trying to come up with an itinerary and sequence of what to see. There's so much!!

Anyway thanks for the feedback. I'll post the pictures when I'm back.

R.

Renodesertfox
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 11, 2010 16:26 as a reply to  @ rickp1's post |  #10

If you shoot RAW format, no, one or two cards isn't back-up. I would take a few more. This is just me, I can't speak for anyone else, only for me. When I shot film I was way more controled in how much film I exposed. But now with digital and advanced dslrs there isn't a problem with quantity. However, quality is truly what is important!

Also, just me talkin, I wouldn't take the time to download what I shot everyday...I would still be out shooting, IE the night sky, star trails, painting with light. I would stop shootin only to eat and rest. Once I started to download stuff...then I'd get the itch to work on images and before long...there went my rest. But that is just me. When you go, go ready for anything, and everything is possible. There is plenty there to keep one busy and at the same time there is plenty there to distract a person from their self-appointed mission. That is how it is in life too. Do yourself a favor, get plenty of rest....memorize your equipment, practice with your equipment so you can set-up in a couple of minutes or less, change lenses so you can do it in your sleep. Exercise your stride & pace, Yosemite is at a higher altitude than most people are accustomed too. Shoot something for practice then shoot it again and then when you're tired shoot some more. This year in July we too are headed to a national treasure....Yosemite, and tent camping and photography.

Renodesertfox
XTi400d Cannon Glass & Nikon too.
http://www.campingforu​ms.com (external link) my other love!

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,764 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 11, 2010 21:16 |  #11

I was just there and rented the 400DO f/4 for the trip; used it on my 50D. It did an awesome job! I used that for all my wildlife shots and my 24-70 for landscapes on the 5DII.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

bagtagsell
602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 12, 2010 09:31 |  #12

I went a couple years ago. My main setup was 150-500 on a 40D and 17-40 on a 5D. Sometimes the 500 wasn't enough ie we watched a bear feed on a carcass across a lake then another bear came a tried to feed too. Sometimes 150 was too telephoto ie bear cub that was 30 feet from us. It's a great place.

Mark Ryan Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear List

deadkenny64
41 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 12, 2010 13:54 as a reply to  @ bagtagsell's post |  #13

This thread has good advice. We're going to try to go next year and now I know what to bring and not to go in May.:D

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 20, 2010 22:08 |  #14

Even early June can be a bit rough (I was just there). We were supposed to get rain or snow every one of the four days we were there, but it never did rain once. (Lucky for us to have stayed dry; it got into the low 30s at night.)

If you're going with an intention to spot wildlife, you'll need a long telephoto (I really think that at least 400 mm is best; my 70-200 could barely cut it, and only for bison at that). The first time you see bison you'll be really excited; after that, you'll recognize which people are seeing them for the first time. :)

Be prepared for the really quick wildlife shots -- it's said that you should always keep the longest lens you have mounted, and I definitely saw the benefit to this with my 70-200. That being said, if you're also geyser spotting, be prepared to change lenses quickly!

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

rickp1
THREAD ­ STARTER
513 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 20, 2010 23:14 |  #15

thank you. I' got a belt system that i'll be wearing. Camera bag that holds a body with lens + an extra lens. Then I'll also have another lens pouch with my 70-200 in it and around my neck the 100-400mm that I rented for the trip. Strapped to the side of my back pack I'll have a tripod for times that I do have the time to setup.

I'm really looking forward to getting out of this place and heading to nice beautiful scenery location.

R.

sponsored links

3,838 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to Yellowstone this July
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.