Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jun 2010 (Saturday) 10:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

17-Year-Old Accused of Having a Camera Bag

Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 12, 2010 10:13 |  #1

"Jodie Foster accused of roughing up a boy:
Family says actress poked 17-year-old in the chest and grabbed his arm"

LOS ANGELES — The family of a 17-year-old teenager has accused Oscar-winner Jodie Foster of being rough with the boy after he snapped photographs of the actress and her sons outside a movie theater.

... She [Foster's spokeswoman] also said he had a camera bag and a telephoto lens.

http://today.msnbc.msn​.com …91/ns/today-entertainment (external link)

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 12, 2010 11:14 |  #2

Ummm...he's not accused of having a camera bag, he's accused of being an annoying little turd :) I like how the article plays it off like he's a defenseless little child. Most 17 yr old males today are giants compared to Jodie Foster.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,805 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 12, 2010 11:28 |  #3

celebrities and us ordinary folk share equal rights. If the 17 year old was close enough to get pushed in the chest and grabbed by the arm, there is a good possibility that their space was being intruded upon by an overzealous rude idiot with a camera (papparazzi or ordinary rude idiot with a camera)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

StanleyK14
54 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 12, 2010 11:51 |  #4

Is the kid really complaining about getting poked in the chest?

He was probably invading her space anyways

I dont have any L lenses

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 12, 2010 12:55 |  #5

Wilt: assault is assault. I'm not saying the kid was in the right, but on the other hand, she should know better. I can't push and shove and punch everyone who comes near me and neither should someone who happens to be rich and famous.

Stanley: Invasion of space in a public space isn't a crime. Assault is. She crossed a line. (Again, not saying he was in the right, but obviously she lost her temper, and that's not cool either).

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Wilt
42,805 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 12, 2010 13:02 |  #6

LowriderS10 wrote in post #10349173 (external link)
Wilt: assault is assault. I'm not saying the kid was in the right, but on the other hand, she should know better. I can't push and shove and punch everyone who comes near me and neither should someone who happens to be rich and famous.

Stanley: Invasion of space in a public space isn't a crime. Assault is. She crossed a line. (Again, not saying he was in the right, but obviously she lost her temper, and that's not cool either).

I did not condone her actions, I was pointing out the contributory misbehavior of the photograher. The article did mention, "that he "crowded" them as he took pictures, scaring the actress' children"...as much an act of assault as what she did, which might simply be a protective reflex of a mother!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 12, 2010 13:56 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Poked him in the chest and grabbed his arm...pfft that's not "roughing up" - what a load of bull, some people are way too eager to sue these days

Totally take for granted that they have the freedom everyday to even see these people, try living in a place like Iraq or North Korea or Central Africa where your lucky to even go to school and learn about the world.

Hell some freaky people would probably never wash again if Jodie Foster poked them

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 12, 2010 19:03 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #8

What the hell has happened to this world. According to the law (at least in the US) I guess touching my finger to your chest is assault unless you happen to be a woman then I suppose it would be sexual assault. The laws have just gotten stupid, imo. Assault to me is when you beat the hell out of someone, not simply touching them.

I wonder how many people in the Los Angeles area carry around those good cameras just hoping that they can get a decent shot of a celebrity and sell it. That doesn't necessarily make them a paparazzi, just a pain in the.... I bet the teenager and/or his father are seeing dollar signs right about now.

I know that they are public figures but surely they should be able to take their children to a movie without being hassled.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Chairman7w
Goldmember
1,259 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 12, 2010 19:13 |  #9

Amen ssim, well said. I can't stand the pussification of America.

ssim wrote in post #10350663 (external link)
What the hell has happened to this world. According to the law (at least in the US) I guess touching my finger to your chest is assault unless you happen to be a woman then I suppose it would be sexual assault. The laws have just gotten stupid, imo. Assault to me is when you beat the hell out of someone, not simply touching them.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,744 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2010 19:15 |  #10

Hmm.. Not enough info to make any kind of conclusion. Taking pictures in a public place no matter who the individual is is legal. Being a paparazzi is also legal. There may have been more going on than Jodie's spin doctors are saying. :)
http://blog.taragana.c​om …cking-teenage-fan-140356/ (external link)
http://www.mashceleb.c​om …nage-boy-with-nice-camera (external link)

The interesting thing is that of the 20 or so sites i visited, I only found these two that had a different story than the msnbc story. Pretty much everyone parrots what Jodies folks are saying.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 12, 2010 19:18 |  #11

LowriderS10 wrote in post #10349173 (external link)
Wilt: assault is assault.

since she actually touched him, it would actually be battery most likely. However I think this happened in LA, so it doesn't matter because celebs can do whatever they please there.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

Wilt
42,805 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 12, 2010 19:18 |  #12

According to common law in the US (from my one year of sharing an apartment with a law student!), to make one fearful for one's welfare -- even without physical contact -- is 'assault'...i.e. reasonable fear of bodily injury. It only needs intent and the resulting apprehension. Physical follow thru of assault, to physically cause bodily injury, is 'battery'. One could question Jodie's intent to cause bodily harm, with either the push at his chest or the grab of the arm. The photographer would have a hard time convincing a judge that this small slip of a lady could have done much real harm with such innocuous contact. On the other hand, children being fearful of the photographer's proximity is evidence of their feeling of potential harm to them and/or their mother.

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 12, 2010 19:31 |  #13

I don't ever want to be the guy that gets poked in the chest, but I would sure enjoy the heck out of being about fifteen feet away with a 24-70 and a flash.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,744 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2010 20:26 |  #14

birdfromboat wrote in post #10350779 (external link)
I don't ever want to be the guy that gets poked in the chest, but I would sure enjoy the heck out of being about fifteen feet away with a 24-70 and a flash.

According to one article he had a 1000mm lens. Whats he doing so close anyway with a beast like that. :):):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,211 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 12, 2010 20:28 as a reply to  @ birdfromboat's post |  #15

I feel so sorry for...

I feel so sorry for the celebrities who choose to make bundles of money because of their fame but, still want the privacy of ordinary folks too!
You can't have both. I haven't made gobs of money as a performer but, no paparazzi intrudes on my life. Would I trade a little intrusion for those bucks? Darned right I would!!!

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
17-Year-Old Accused of Having a Camera Bag
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.