Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 14 Jun 2010 (Monday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D vs T2i(550D)

thaian07
67 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 14, 2010 20:40 |  #1

I did a search on this but didn't see it, just comparing the capability of video recording of both cameras, would there be any reason to get the 7D over the 550D? Both do have the same crop factor and are fully manual.

sponsored links
RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 14, 2010 21:19 |  #2

You may find this of interest

http://www.cameratown.​com …d/index.cfm#axz​z0qst2ksIa (external link)

To answer your question; the video is essentially the same. Perhaps not identical, but close. One thing the t2i cannot do is the in-between ISO's that the 7D can. However, others claim using the 'in-between' ISO amounts generates a noiser video image.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

thaian07
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 14, 2010 21:28 |  #3

Thanks I read it but it doesnt say much about video recording between the two cameras except for 7D battery last longer, heavier, and more durable.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 14, 2010 21:31 as a reply to  @ thaian07's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

The 7D is designed for video, it is a much better choice.

Canon T1i- gripped - 70-200 F4L IS - 430exII - Lowepro Fastpack 350
Flick (external link)r

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 15, 2010 02:56 |  #5

thaian07 wrote in post #10362856 (external link)
Thanks I read it but it doesnt say much about video recording between the two cameras except for 7D battery last longer, heavier, and more durable.

That is what I've read as well. The main features where the 7D differentiates between the T2i is the build and various things that apply to generating still images. Some have shown the t2i will overheat sooner than the 7D, but this is after an hour + of solid recording.

I look at it this way...

7D body = T2i + Zoom H4N + 50mm f/1.4 + tripod
7D body = T2i + Zoom H4N + 50mm f/1.8 + good tripod w/ video head
7D body = T2i + Zoom H4N + 50mm f/1.8 + basic editing software
7D body = T2i + Arden microphone + tripod + money for extras (e.g. filters, training DVD's)

Stuff and things

mr. ­ Unknown
93 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 15, 2010 03:04 |  #6

CJM Photography wrote in post #10362879 (external link)
The 7D is designed for video, it is a much better choice.

Why would you say that? It's a) not true and b) overhyping.

First of all, they are both dslr cameras, thus both are made to take photos, and not serve as a video camera.

Secondly, 7d and 550d video performance are actually spot on the same. The reason one would get 7d over the 550d is solely
-micro adjustment, calibration
-build quality, body
-sports shooting (numerous advantages fall into this category, such as fps, twin proc, af system..)

If you're not a sports photographer and you don't have enormous hands, there is almost no reason to get the 7d over the 550d. That is since lens calibration is done way better at a repair shop anyhow (different focal lengths ..).

Correct me if I am wrong.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 15, 2010 06:45 as a reply to  @ mr. Unknown's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

A) I know a professional photographer who looked extensively at both and went with the 7d because If you feel the way it was designed it WAS MADE for video, the 550d has video, but it is smaller and harder to hand hold as still. B) there is a HUGE reason for a sports photographer to get the 7d over the 550d and that comment shows your ignorance in this matter, clearly you must not know the other features of these camera bodies because you would know the 7d shoots at 9.5 FPS and the 550D is I believe 3.5-4? Also the 7D has a faster auto focus as well as more focus points, a better view finder, and yes it is larger partly because the features it boasts. I think for large lenses the 7d is better because the weight evens out the lens weight.

Flick (external link)r

mr. ­ Unknown
93 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 15, 2010 07:25 |  #8

Are you joking or being serious? :)

Can't really say in this case.. but your post seems to be 100% made up for laughs.. or you didn't care to read mine. I mentioned everything you relied on and explained it why it's not important for shooting video - however is important for a sports photographer.

mr. ­ Unknown
93 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 15, 2010 07:28 |  #9

mr. Unknown wrote in post #10364287 (external link)
Why would you say that? It's a) not true and b) overhyping.

First of all, they are both dslr cameras, thus both are made to take photos, and not serve as a video camera.

Secondly, 7d and 550d video performance are actually spot on the same. The reason one would get 7d over the 550d is solely
-micro adjustment, calibration
-build quality, body
-sports shooting (numerous advantages fall into this category, such as fps, twin proc, af system..)

If you're not a sports photographer and you don't have enormous hands, there is almost no reason to get the 7d over the 550d. That is since lens calibration is done way better at a repair shop anyhow (different focal lengths ..).

Correct me if I am wrong.

CJM Photography wrote in post #10364781 (external link)
A) I know a professional photographer who looked extensively at both and went with the 7d because If you feel the way it was designed it WAS MADE for video, the 550d has video, but it is smaller and harder to hand hold as still. B) there is a HUGE reason for a sports photographer to get the 7d over the 550d and that comment shows your ignorance in this matter, clearly you must not know the other features of these camera bodies because you would know the 7d shoots at 9.5 FPS and the 550D is I believe 3.5-4? Also the 7D has a faster auto focus as well as more focus points, a better view finder, and yes it is larger partly because the features it boasts. I think for large lenses the 7d is better because the weight evens out the lens weight.

But really, how is all that + you talking to a pro. gonna help with shooting video? As for balance, grip the 550 and use a tripod/monopod.

So, my final answer to the op: buy a 550d for video AND photography, unless you're a professional sports/birds shooter, then go with 7d.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 15, 2010 07:50 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

your ignorance is astounding. The 7D is a much better camera and a much better investment, if you want the best bang for your buck get the 7d, or better yet go to a local camera shop and ask around and also look at both camera's.

Flick (external link)r

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 15, 2010 09:49 |  #11

CJM Photography wrote in post #10365008 (external link)
your ignorance is astounding. The 7D is a much better camera and a much better investment, if you want the best bang for your buck get the 7d, or better yet go to a local camera shop and ask around and also look at both camera's.

Did you not read this in the original posters questions?

just comparing the capability of video recording of both cameras

No doubt the 7D is the better body, but just looking at recording quality, the two bodies are almost identical.

Stuff and things

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 15, 2010 10:08 as a reply to  @ RWatkins's post |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Ah good point, I did not realize the question, as far as the video function, but from a purchase stand point I stand by my original thought of the 7d

Flick (external link)r

thaian07
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 15, 2010 10:12 |  #13

RWatkins wrote in post #10364266 (external link)
7D body = T2i + Zoom H4N + 50mm f/1.4 + tripod
7D body = T2i + Zoom H4N + 50mm f/1.8 + good tripod w/ video head
7D body = T2i + Zoom H4N + 50mm f/1.8 + basic editing software
7D body = T2i + Arden microphone + tripod + money for extras (e.g. filters, training DVD's)

That's how I see it too

I got a great deal on the 550D today, I would love to get the 7D but for half the price + I don't do action/sport photography, the 550D is the better deal.

CJM ­ Photography
726 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 15, 2010 10:31 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

thaian07 wrote in post #10365701 (external link)
That's how I see it too

I got a great deal on the 550D today, I would love to get the 7D but for half the price + I don't do action/sport photography, the 550D is the better deal.

well as long as you go with canon you will be happy:)

Flick (external link)r

mr. ­ Unknown
93 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 15, 2010 12:27 |  #15

Ready to take that back now? It wasn't me who was ignorant, was it?=P

cheers mate, no problem at all

sponsored links

8,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D vs T2i(550D)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.