Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jun 2010 (Monday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D classic or MKII..

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 14, 2010 14:32 |  #16

i only upgraded because i needed cleaner images at ISO 3200 and needed to go beyond that at times. otherwise i would have saved the money and kept the 5Dc.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

sponsored links
Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 14, 2010 14:48 |  #17

gjl711 wrote in post #10360436 (external link)
That's not really a good example. Though it's rough and your subject is moving, it's not really moving in and out of focus. The wake boarder is tied to a fixed length rope and will always be pretty much the same distance behind the boat even when going from side to side.

And if everything is unsteady as it was this weekend, having your lens focus between what's behind your subject when you point the AF mark off of them because of bumps and then back on your subject again means the camera is doing it's job.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 14, 2010 15:10 |  #18

Village_Idiot wrote in post #10360725 (external link)
And if everything is unsteady as it was this weekend, having your lens focus between what's behind your subject when you point the AF mark off of them because of bumps and then back on your subject again means the camera is doing it's job.

or it means that the AF is so slow that it never noticed that the object left it's focus area. :):)

Seriously, I know that the 5DII gets a bad rap because of it's slow AF, but as you say, it is not that bad and the hidden helper points do help quite a bit when in AI-Servo mode.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 15, 2010 08:37 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #19

Could you guys who have shot with both the 5dC and 5DII please let me know the max ISO which both bodies can handle without producing noticeable noise?

I know the word "noticeable" is open to interpretation but I hope you know what I mean. Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered numerous times in other threads but I just thought, whilst were talking about it ...

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,432 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 15, 2010 08:57 |  #20

puzzle wrote in post #10365209 (external link)
...please let me know the max ISO which both bodies can handle without producing noticeable noise?

I know the word "noticeable" is open to interpretation .....

Yup. I shoot with both, the 5D at work and the MkII for fun. I have had very nice pics at ISO3200 in the classic with no noticeable noise, but than I've had the same on a 40D as well. It's all in the exposure and what steps you take to minimize noise.

I haven't had too much experience at high ISO with the MkII, but have shot at 1600 without being careful with little noise.

It seems as if my ISO floor is being raised stop by stop with each camera. With the XT/XTi I tried hard to keep it at ISO100 and maxing out at ISO400. I would shoot faster, but worked to avoid that. With the 40/50 my base went to ISO400 as the difference between 100 and 400 is pretty much gone and ISO1600 became my top end though I stop higher as well.

With both the 7D and MkII it seems my base ISO is now ISO800 and 3200 is no problem.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,048 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 15, 2010 09:08 |  #21

If money isn't an issue then definately get the MK II, it's a better camera all the way around.

Gear
Website (external link)

thaian07
67 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 15, 2010 10:18 |  #22

get it everyone will be SO jealous! :D

Super-Nicko
Goldmember
1,652 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2010 11:17 |  #23

I'd say I was comfy with the classic at 1600 when pushed and knew my 3200 shots wouldn't be super stellar... With the mk2 it's 3200 and at a push 6400 as I k ow with some nr it will be ok BUT won't be an award winning shot...

With the focus- I shoot wakeboarding too and it's actually greAt using the 5d2 as with the 1d3 t grabs the background so easily and so fast in mid air tricks... What sux is shooting far focus point in alot of scenarios such as f1.8 in situation where u don't want to recompose. It surprises me that it hunts when I consider the light to be quite good.

My gallery - just posted some of my top shots (external link)
1DmkIII / 5DMKII [50mm f1.4] [85mm f1.8] [100mm f2.8 MACRO] [17-40mm f/4L] [24-70mm f/2.8L USM] [24-105mm f/4L IS USM] [COLOR=black][COLOR=bl​ack][[COLOR=black]100-400mm f/4.5-f 5.6L IS USM] Canon 1.4xII - Speedlite 580EXII - EPSON P-5000 - Lowepro Bags - Manfrotto 682B Monopod & 055XproB Tripod - 488RC2

sponsored links

3,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D classic or MKII..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.