Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Jun 2010 (Monday) 12:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tryin' to get better

acajun
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 14, 2010 12:07 |  #1

Always trying to learn from the masters. C&C, opinions please.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 14, 2010 12:27 |  #2

Pretty image. But you have too much noise. The noise is caused from shooting that with an ISO of 1250. With your shutter speed of 800 and your f/stop at f/8 you could have shot with a lot lower ISO and not have all of that noise. But that noise could be removed in PP still. Other then that looks to be a good image.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 14, 2010 13:49 as a reply to  @ dwarrenr's post |  #3

Egads that is noisy..set the ISO at 400 or less.....

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

acajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 14, 2010 16:13 |  #4

Thanks to both. I had been shooting birds earlier and I guess I forgot to lower the ISO. Still learning! I need to take the time to compose and re-check the settings.

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 14, 2010 20:38 |  #5

Yup it's noisier than an ac/dc concert and probably slightly oversaturated.

My Flickr (external link)

Deckham
814 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 14, 2010 20:46 as a reply to  @ corkneyfonz's post |  #6

I don't think that noise is solely from the ISO. I think that it has been pushed in post. Don't be afraid to use high ISO - but make sure you do not under expose. On the other hand - you did not really need 1/800th ....

Lulu Clake (external link)
Zenfolio  (external link)

jack5150
216 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 14, 2010 23:10 |  #7

Way too grainy... Dial it down a few notches next time... It was a GREAT idea.. Just needs a little massaging... Keep up the good work!!!

Canon 50D gripped | Canon 350D | Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L | Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro | Canon 430EX | (2) AB 800's | Softboxes | Umbrellas | Stands | Yadda | Yadda | Yadda

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 15, 2010 05:19 |  #8

acajun wrote in post #10361267 (external link)
Thanks to both. I had been shooting birds earlier and I guess I forgot to lower the ISO. Still learning! I need to take the time to compose and re-check the settings.

Re-checking is good. I've learned that myself. Especially going from one mode to another. Took me a bit to remember to check all my settings before shooting. :D

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

thaian07
67 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 15, 2010 14:45 |  #9

great picture but yea wow the noise is intense

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 15, 2010 14:47 |  #10

Good lighting, though! :)

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

acajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 15, 2010 15:28 as a reply to  @ YankeeMom's post |  #11

Thanks to all. I really apreciate all the opinions (Facts?).

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 16, 2010 20:47 |  #12

Wow, that is some extreme noise reduction. Did you have NR set on the highest setting or something?

With 1/800 shutter speed and 105mm, you could have easily used ISO 200 and 1/200 and have captured this image with the same exposure. That is about the worst ISO 800 photo I've never seen.. and that includes my 6MP Drebel.

Deckham
814 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 16, 2010 21:25 |  #13

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #10375752 (external link)
Wow, that is some extreme noise reduction. Did you have NR set on the highest setting or something?

With 1/800 shutter speed and 105mm, you could have easily used ISO 200 and 1/200 and have captured this image with the same exposure. That is about the worst ISO 800 photo I've never seen.. and that includes my 6MP Drebel.

========

Deckham wrote in post #10362621 (external link)
I don't think that noise is solely from the ISO. I think that it has been pushed in post. Don't be afraid to use high ISO - but make sure you do not under expose. On the other hand - you did not really need 1/800th ....

Lulu Clake (external link)
Zenfolio  (external link)

sponsored links

1,859 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tryin' to get better
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.