Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Jun 2010 (Monday) 23:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Post!

xsIDareToRebel
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 14, 2010 23:30 |  #1

Hi everybody I'm new here, and new to photography in general. Been shooting with my Rebel XSi for just over 6 months now and have been having a great deal of fun with my experiences so far. I'm currently in college studying film and hope to be a cinematographer in the future so I thought getting this camera was a great way to start. Anyway, I figured a good place to post first would be in this section of the forum and get a little feedback on some of my photos taken so far... any and all critiques and comments a welcome of course!

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/4693769704_aa67960576_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4684642338_01a3135cd6_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4684550730_15f3a8e979_b.jpg
My proudest capture to date.

sponsored links
thomas43062
92 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 15, 2010 00:24 |  #2

xsIDare, welcome to POTN. I think your shots are looking great. #1 I really like the way that the lines lead your eye higher in the picture. I wonder how it would look in B&W?

#2 I like the overall feel of the photo, and the treatment you did with the colors. I personally don't have much interest in watching that guy eat (or whatever he's doing), but that's just a matter of personal taste.

#3. Your proudest capture, as well it should be! That pic would make anyone proud! I'm not sure if you stitched or cropped to give the panorama aspect, but it worked well. Keep up the good work!

Canon 5d, 50d, Tamron SP 28-75 2.8, Canon 70-200 mkII, 2x TCII, Tamron 28-300 VC, Canon EF-S 18-55 IS, 580EXIIx3

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 15, 2010 00:40 |  #3

1. I'd get rid of the ground as it too much clutter.
2. Crop it tighter to get rid of the cluttered background and unnecessary background specially the black part
3. The highlights are completely blown out but good composition.

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 15, 2010 13:43 |  #4

The first is probably my favourite. The second makes me wish you'd shot on film as I'd advise burning the negative as the whacky processing and distorted oversized forearm do nothing to advance photography. The third is quite good but the blown highlights are a little too obvious.

My Flickr (external link)

PhotoCupcake
673 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 15, 2010 14:05 |  #5

#1: Arguably the ugliest frame I have ever seen. That's something.

#2: I don't get the crop. Top 1/3 is just black. What's the point?

#3: Great shot. Sky is beautiful albeit the some detail is lost on the left side.

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 15, 2010 22:41 |  #6

Can you please sharp the processing you did on #2?

#1- The frame is distracting from photo
#2- Seems like a cute little snapshot :)
#3- Beautiful!!! :D

jaredholtphoto.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

dino211
174 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 16, 2010 00:05 |  #7

#1 and #3 printable
#2 hit the delete button

Dean
Canon 7Dii, 5Dii, 100-400L, 70-200L f4is, 100 macro, 300L f4is, 24-105L f4i

xsIDareToRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 16, 2010 00:49 |  #8

thanks for all the responses so far, many good points.
1...I agree with what some of you have said about the ugly frame in the first picture after having gone back and looking at it... it really is pretty ugly :) i was just playing around with border creation, not my best effort.
2... Apparently nobody really liked two. I guess I like it more due to the fact that I know the guy in the frame but its nice to have an outside prospective on it. I'm not too big into shooting people, I can never seem to get the emotion right. The point behind the crop was to give a sense of space in the picture, does nobody think this works here?
3... And very good points on the third. The clipping of the highlights is quite unfortunate. I wish now I would've closed the f-stop up a little more. I looked back into this set and just about every picture clipped in that area. It was tough to find the right exposure on this sunset, but I suppose thats what post-processing is for. I'll have to keep this is mind next time.

xsIDareToRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 16, 2010 00:50 |  #9

Viva-photography wrote in post #10369965 (external link)
Can you please sharp the processing you did on #2

What do you mean by this?

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 16, 2010 14:52 |  #10

Sorry. That was supposed to say "share" :lol:

jaredholtphoto.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

xsIDareToRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 16, 2010 17:08 |  #11

ah ha! I see now. Well, I don't remember exactly what I did as I was just playing around. I think the main things that gave it the look it has were the reduction of saturation in raw processing and bumping up the vibrance some to give the shirt a little more brightness. other than that just small adjustments in highlights and shadows i believe. sorry I can't be more specific :)

sponsored links

1,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Post!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.