Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Jun 2010 (Wednesday) 11:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good european source for Sandisk Extreme Pro ?

rjalex
527 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2010 11:18 |  #1

Dear friends,
just received my 7D and within the first minutes of trying it out (RAW 18MB shots) I am thinking of buying a fast card.

Any online outlet with good prices for the above mentioned compact flash here in Europe (I live in Italy) ?

Thanks a lot
Bob

PS Is there a table (googled but not found it) which lists transfer speeds for the various cards I own (Sandisk Extreme III 8 GB for example).

Canon 5Dii+7D, 17-40L, 50 f/1.4, 100 macro f/2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, 2 x flash 580EX, Manfrotto 055xProB+322RC2, light mods, iMac 27"
Some of my pics on zenfolio :) (external link)

sponsored links
Venno
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 16, 2010 12:04 |  #2

Amazon. :)

oRGie
398 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 17, 2010 15:48 as a reply to  @ Venno's post |  #3

mymemory.co.uk have free shipping to europe, so even though they are not quite as cheap as amazon when you add it postage its worth checking.. I've used them both for stuff to portugal, no problems but watch shipping costs on amazon..

the ext3 is 30mbs I believe.. the new extreme is 60mbs and extreme pro is 90 but I dont think its worth it for mere mortals, its more than the camera can handle and more than a pc hard drive can handle.. performance vs cost suggests the 60mbs card and an express card reader is going to yield best bang for buck in download speeds.. or fw800 reader if you dont have express card slot to use..

edit, just had a quick look, amazon £75 for extreme 16mb 60mbs and mymemory £90.. amazon is the winner lol..

oRGie - I am an EOS and the 7D was my idea :cool:
http://www.fluidr.com/​photos/orgie (external link)
EF70-200F4LIS - EF-S15-85IS - EF50 1.8II

rjalex
THREAD ­ STARTER
527 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2010 03:57 |  #4

Thanks a lot !!! Just let me understand better. The 7D shooting RAW at 8fps ... where is the bandwith bottleneck ? From what you say it's not the CF speed. I have an Extreme 8GB and IIRC I can shoot 15 RAWs in a row (pun not intended) but then shooting halts. If Extreme Pro with its 90 MB/sec is an overkill why pay. I remember reading a test saying that with an Extreme Pro the 7D could keep shooting JPGs at 8fps forever (not that I foress that need !) :)
TC
Bob

Canon 5Dii+7D, 17-40L, 50 f/1.4, 100 macro f/2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, 2 x flash 580EX, Manfrotto 055xProB+322RC2, light mods, iMac 27"
Some of my pics on zenfolio :) (external link)

DarthSparky
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 18, 2010 03:59 |  #5

Venno wrote in post #10372888 (external link)
Amazon. :)

+1. Amazon very good on price.

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.com (external link)

oRGie
398 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 18, 2010 09:26 as a reply to  @ DarthSparky's post |  #6

I think it can shoot continous jpgs forever even on a 30mbs card, but I cant comment about raw+jpeg on either a 60mbs card or 90 as I dont have either :) my ext3 30mbs cards work for me without any problems, i never make use of continuous high speed shooting :) So the desire for a 60mbs card for me is just to make the most of downloading to my pc via the express card reader and as mentioned the hard drive will be the bottle neck then.. happy shopping ;)

NoNameYet
181 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 18, 2010 11:59 as a reply to  @ oRGie's post |  #7

http://shop.sandisk.co​m …hoppingCart/Loc​ale.it_IT/ (external link)

They will ship to you in Italy, guaranteed genuine, and it's all in our own language.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=7485389&post​count=1700

oRGie
398 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 18, 2010 12:02 |  #8

NoNameYet wrote in post #10385345 (external link)
http://shop.sandisk.co​m …hoppingCart/Loc​ale.it_IT/ (external link)

They will ship to you in Italy, guaranteed genuine, and it's all in our own language.

heavy price for italians 140€ for the 16gb!! I think amazon is still in front lol

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 18, 2010 12:58 |  #9

rjalex wrote in post #10383500 (external link)
Thanks a lot !!! Just let me understand better. The 7D shooting RAW at 8fps ... where is the bandwith bottleneck ? From what you say it's not the CF speed. I have an Extreme 8GB and IIRC I can shoot 15 RAWs in a row (pun not intended) but then shooting halts.

Here's a tes (external link)t I did with the 7D and five CF cards, ranging in speed from about 2 MB/s to 45 MB/s. As you can see, all of the cards allowed 20 raws at 8 fps before the buffer filled. The card speed does affect how long it takes to clear the buffer (for the red light to turn off) - from 12s to almost 3 minutes in my tests.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Azi
74 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2010 13:10 |  #10

oRGie wrote in post #10380439 (external link)
the new extreme is 60mbs and extreme pro is 90 but I dont think its worth it for mere mortals, its more than the camera can handle and more than a pc hard drive can handle..

My internal HD writes with about 115 MB/s, my external 80 (eSATA).
If you want to transfer the files to the computer make sure to use FireWire 800 or something faster, USB 2.0 has only 480 Mbit/s.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 18, 2010 13:17 |  #11

Azi wrote in post #10385744 (external link)
My internal HD writes with about 115 MB/s

Really? Is that theoretical or have you measured it with Crystal Disk Mark?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Azi
74 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2010 13:18 |  #12

hollis_f wrote in post #10385792 (external link)
Really? Is that theoretical or have you measured it with Crystal Disk Mark?

Measured with hdparm.

sponsored links

1,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good european source for Sandisk Extreme Pro ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.